No announcement yet.

SIN-BCN nonstop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, TAM is not joining in mid-2010, it's either APRIL 12th or MAY 13th!

http://translate.google.com/translat...icrosoft:en-us

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-to-uk-flights

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
      I think they have to think of the bottomline as well. RG and VP's Asian routes were indeed part of the prestige of those carriers, but JJ's international expansion has been driven by market demand rather than prestige.

I never flew their Asian flights, but I definitely remember the sight of the M11s doing the checkerboard landing approach into Kai Tak. Gorgeous birds indeed.

The "new RG", as you may very well know, is now owned by G3 which is not necessarily a bad thing. I was flying JJ domestically for a while, but G3 has better support services--especially for those weather-related last minute airport changes at CGN--so I'm happy to fly them and bank the miles with AA.

I think I last flew the "old RG" from EZE-GIG back in 2006 when they were still part of *A at which point I proudly presented my KF card at the airport.

Y'all know what would make a really great impression? It would be for SQ to announce GRU flights at the same time JJ joins *A, a triple codeshare between the two and Spanair

Actually, what I miss most about the absence of VARIG in international skies is that the contemporary "Brazilian-ness" culture of VARIG cannot be found in the other Brazilian carriers. It just feels...'diferente'. TAM feels a little too 'commercial', doesn't it? Maybe in time, hopefully joining Star Alliance will help, TAM will probably not just 'imitate' the past glory of VARIG, but also create its own glory that Brazilians will be proud of.

Comment

More news proving that Singapore (SQ??) is eyeing Brasil:

Singapore Airlines' majority shareholder Temasek Holdings will purchase ~ US $120 million worth of LAN Airlines shares:

Temasek, which is Singapore's state-owned sovereign wealth fund, will own about 2% of LAN. The shares purchased form part of Chilean President Sebastian Pinera's remaining 11% shares in LAN that were still outstanding and had not been purchased by the company's controlling shareholders, the Cueto family.

http://latercera.com/contenido/655_235520_9.shtml
        http://www.aerolatinnews.com/index.p...&noticia=14043
        (Sorry articles are in Spanish)

Comment

Originally posted by brette View Post
          More news proving that Singapore (SQ??) is eyeing Brasil:
          LAN has hardly any flights to Brazil and a 2% stake is bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            LAN has hardly any flights to Brazil and a 2% stake is bizarre.
            And I'm not convinced (but open to evidence to the contrary ) that where Temasek invests is an indicator of where SQ's network will likely expand.

Oh, welcome to SQTalk, brette.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thank you jjpb3.

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
                Wait, TAM is not joining in mid-2010, it's either APRIL 12th or MAY 13th!

http://translate.google.com/translat...icrosoft:en-us

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-to-uk-flights
                The Melhores Destinos article is from last year. The Business Traveller though is from this past February, so if what they say is accurate, we may very well see JJ joining *G in May.
                Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
                  Actually, what I miss most about the absence of VARIG in international skies is that the contemporary "Brazilian-ness" culture of VARIG cannot be found in the other Brazilian carriers. It just feels...'diferente'. TAM feels a little too 'commercial', doesn't it? Maybe in time, hopefully joining Star Alliance will help, TAM will probably not just 'imitate' the past glory of VARIG, but also create its own glory that Brazilians will be proud of.
                  The old RG was a very Brasilian airline right down to the cafezinhos they served in the small cups.

The new RG, and its owner G3, do a pretty good job of exemplifying Brasilian hospitality. Their FAs and airport staff are amongst the friendliest, helpful, and most diverse I encountered in recent times

JJ is also very much Brasilian, although it might represent a particular Brasilian image in a post-Gisele Bundchen world reflected in the appearance and grooming of the FAs. And it's just as glamorous, flying to all the chic destinations such as CDG, MAD, LHR.

Comment

Hi all,

It looks like that services between Singapore, Spain and then onwards to a third country might materialize. Foreign Minister George Yeo signed an agreement with the Spanish side to allow airlines of both countries to operate flights beyond their respective countries. So who knows SIN-BC-GRU might actually come true.

Comment

I don't think they will close the SIN-MXP service, especially for the recent opening of the CX's HKG-MXP one...
                      Last edited by SQMilan; 18 April 2010, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Well, there will be at least one SQ nonstop from BCN to SIN: SQ377 of the
                        17th, delayed at BCN until the 18th, will now fly nonstop to SIN, skipping ash-closed MXP........

Comment

Originally posted by zilchster View Post
                          Hi all,

It looks like that services between Singapore, Spain and then onwards to a third country might materialize. Foreign Minister George Yeo signed an agreement with the Spanish side to allow airlines of both countries to operate flights beyond their respective countries. So who knows SIN-BC-GRU might actually come true.
                          Well, on my GRU-DXB-SIN on EK this month, I have been telling all and sundry how I'm really looking forward to when SQ starts doing GRU-BCN-GRU. Seriously, my flight was full with Indians, Chinese, and Brazilians headed to SHA and PEK--all markets served by SQ

Comment

Originally posted by B727 View Post
                            Well, on my GRU-DXB-SIN on EK this month, I have been telling all and sundry how I'm really looking forward to when SQ starts doing GRU-BCN-GRU. Seriously, my flight was full with Indians, Chinese, and Brazilians headed to SHA and PEK--all markets served by SQ
                            Yes, there is a market. But EK (or any middle east or european airlines) can offer 1-stop option for passengers but for SQ, it's 2-stop. Kind of difficult for SQ to command a premium with 2-stop flights.

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
                              Yes, there is a market. But EK (or any middle east or european airlines) can offer 1-stop option for passengers but for SQ, it's 2-stop. Kind of difficult for SQ to command a premium with 2-stop flights.
                              True. The Brasilian gentleman I was chatting with on my EK 262 was apprehensive when I told him about the possibility of SQ serving GRU via BCN being that it would make his Brasil-China jaunt into a two-stop as opposed to a one-stop. I guess SQ will have to rely on the quality of its inflight service (is it still one that even other airlines talk about ) to make it worth the while of passengers flying from South America to Asia.

Comment

Working...
                              X