Silkair to Nha Trang, Vietnam ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silkair to Nha Trang, Vietnam ?

I presume this was a special/charter of some sort, or someone has got Nha Trang mixed up with Danang:

Vietnam’s appeal as a destination to international travelers brightened considerably over the past 60 days as two of the country’s premier interior destinations opened their runways to flights from abroad.

The airport upgrades also boast next-generation terminals. In December, Cam Ranh Airport near the seaside city of Nha Trang and Lien Khuong Airport on the outskirts of the Central Highlands town of Dalat unveiled architecturally advanced terminals capable of attracting international travel.

“The opening of these new terminals is a major step in the development of Vietnam,” said Scott Hodgetts, general manager of the Sheraton Nha Trang Hotel & Spa. “As a hotelier, I can’t help but be alert to access. It’s encouraging the transport authorities are taking it seriously.”

Cam Ranh Airport became the first of Vietnam’s newest terminals to welcome an international flight on 12 December when SilkAir flew 118 passengers in from Singapore on an Airbus A319.

Southern Airports Corporation (SAC), which inaugurated Lien Khuong Airport’s new 12,400-square-metre depot on 26 December, hopes to see service to other Southeast Asian nations later this year.

Next on the Civil Aviation Administration’s hit list: Danang Airport, in the Central Coast city of Danang. Despite aged facilities, it has managed to support infrequent flights from Bangkok, Singapore and Taipei in recent years. But construction of a new, US$74 million terminal is well underway. Its super structure, engineered by U.S.-based Louis Berger Group and Dutch airport consultant NACO, is already in place and officials are predicting a December 2010 finish, says Jon Tomlinson, general director of Montgomerie Links golf club in nearby Quang Nam.
    http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news10...Airports.shtml

Ho Quoc Cuong, deputy director of the Air Transport Department under the Civil Aviation Administration of Vietnam (CAAV), said SilkAir had registered to use Airbus A319 for its first flight with some 118 passengers aboard this Saturday.

Cuong told the Daily on the phone on Tuesday that the flight would be conducted by SilkAir in collaboration the authorities of Cam Ranh Airport and the province to mark the official inauguration of this international airport.

However, Cuong said SilkAir had not applied for its frequent flights to Cam Ranh Airport as this carrier currently flies to Danang International Airport in close proximity. SilkAir is the only foreign operator of weekly flights to this airport in the central region.

Source: http://www.hanoitravel.com.vn/News/n...t-this-weekend

Comment

So they did actually fly there, even if it was a one off.

Originally posted by laimd View Post

However, Cuong said SilkAir had not applied for its frequent flights to Cam Ranh Airport as this carrier currently flies to Danang International Airport in close proximity. SilkAir is the only foreign operator of weekly flights to this airport in the central region.
      I am not sure I'd class Danang and Nha Trang as being in close proximity, especially if you drive between the two...

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
        So they did actually fly there, even if it was a one off.

I am not sure I'd class Danang and Nha Trang as being in close proximity, especially if you drive between the two...
        The flight time between Danang and Nha Trang is around 1 hour and 15minutes...Distance quite similar to SIN-KUL..
        So roughly driving time will be around 4 hrs?

Comment

Originally posted by laimd View Post
          The flight time between Danang and Nha Trang is around 1 hour and 15minutes...Distance quite similar to SIN-KUL..
          So roughly driving time will be around 4 hrs?
          It's probably not that different distance wise if you talk city to city but it's a world of difference when it comes to quality of roads and time you need to cover distances. Travelling by road in Vietnam is a unique experience...

Comment

Working...
          X