SQ Station Managers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Station Managers

SIA has openings for Trainee Station Managers now, and I'm contemplating. Anyone knows what an SIA Station Manager's jobscope involves?

organise flights,taking care of pax while on ground,making sure the flight gets off the ground on time, dealing with unruly pax when the flight gets delayed.
    Im not so sure but its based on what i've heard

Comment

Originally posted by AirlineJobSeeker View Post
      SIA has openings for Trainee Station Managers now, and I'm contemplating. Anyone knows what an SIA Station Manager's jobscope involves?
      SQ does not pay well unless you are going into it other than the pay. You might want to weight your career option carefully before making the choice.

They are both money pinching not only to the passenger but also to their staff. In the past they were not only a great way to fly but a great company to work for. Not anymore.

To be fair, they are still a good way to fly although won't classify it as a great way to fly. These days cost management is the Airline's biggest KPI to every manager. Pity the poor guys trying to squeeze another penny of cost saving operationally in a premium airline that is trying to be a Premium Airline on a LCC's costing.

Comment

Originally posted by soarbeyond View Post
        organise flights,taking care of pax while on ground,making sure the flight gets off the ground on time, dealing with unruly pax when the flight gets delayed.
        Im not so sure but its based on what i've heard
        Gosh. One must really be challange-loving to want to take up such a position

Comment

The airline industry is getting too competitive nowadays. Customers demand lower fares and shareholders demand better return on investment ( ie more profits ). So airlines will continue to cut cost until they see a reaction in terms of decline in bookings.

Comment

Originally posted by benlee View Post
            The airline industry is getting too competitive nowadays. Customers demand lower fares and shareholders demand better return on investment ( ie more profits ). So airlines will continue to cut cost until they see a reaction in terms of decline in bookings.
            Agreed with you Ben. Unfortunately, cost is easily measured but loss in revenue opportunities are not easily measured and subject to various interpretations.

One adage that I always applied is liked inviting a guest that contributed a large measure to your wages, you make it a point to feed him well and make him as comfortable as you could. However, you decided to be more budget minded. So you started feeding your guest instead of lobsters or crabs, you serve them noodles with less condiments. The quantity of food drops per serving. Caviar is still on the spread but it is no longer on per guest basis.

As invites are also more limited unless the guest have contributed twice as much to your income and at the same time the frills get cut.

It is not easy to work in a organization or group of organizations that is/are constantly on the look out to reduce cost. You need to work harder with your very limited powers to please clients and in some cases very difficult clients that felt they are not treated well as in the past. I do give it to many of their staff whether on the ground or in the air to make our trip as a pleasant experience as possible despite limited resources to do so.

You need to look at the situation and assess it in comparison to other industry before coming to a final decision. It may well be the right career path for you. Good luck.

Comment

[QUOTE]Gosh. One must really be challange-loving to want to take up such a position/QUOTE]
              I've seen loads of this happen while away
              But never in SIN

Comment

[QUOTE=soarbeyond;115583]
                Gosh. One must really be challange-loving to want to take up such a position/QUOTE]
                I've seen loads of this happen while away
                But never in SIN

Comment

oops sorry,my comps going nuts

Comment

station managers look after everything there is to do at the airport. check in, baggage, handling customers, handling crew and their request. They are also responsible for ensuring eveything goes well when things dont like a long delay or something. haha..

Comment

But i think station managers also have the opportunity to work overseas to cities in which SQ flies to. I suppose it is more interesting to have the chance to work overseas as a station manager rather than in SIN. hehe. plus i think you have allowances too if you get the chance to work overseas.

Comment

Deleted
                        Last edited by Megatop; 17 November 2011, 09:10 AM.

Comment

I like the word "eventually"!

Comment

Well it would not be PC to use the word "possibly"!
                            God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

hello,

this is my first post and its nice to see so many interesting personalities.

I heard from friends that SIA engineering is pretty hard to get in as you must know someone in there to give you a recommendation but once you are in the perks are quite good. A friend, whose father works there, gets to ride First class everytime she went back home from Melbourne University. Almost free, im told. Obviously she did not tell me full details.

I wonder if you must know someone in airport stations to get in?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X