Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caravelle View Post
    The "Slumberettes" (sleeper seats in First Class) were launched on SQ
    B747s in 1978 (I hope I got the year right). So many other "firsts" to remember the SQ 747s by: (i) First non-stop SIN-LHR vv, (ii) Jackpot machines (one-arm bandit) (yes - they were installed for a short period), (iii) PTVs, (iv) Raffles Lounges (on the Upper Decks of the B747-200, complete with swivel chairs and murals depicting images of Singapore, the centrepiece was Sir Stamford Raffles - the days when the decks' potential weren't fully realised yet)............This list could go on and on............and on..... feel free to add..........
    Yes, SQ was pretty innovative in meeting the needs of the customer with the 747s. It reads "Direct Flight long haul", "comfort in the air", "Personal entertainment to keep the mind occupied on long hauls", "Image" etc.

Air NZ staff has came up with the "sleeper" with the use of footrests in EY.
    It is interesting to see if SQ remains innovative in the air and on the ground.

So far the main "innovations" these couple of years have been in the area of cost cuttings. In my opinion, the suites are interesting but beyond affordability and not truly beyond First other than the seats. The not-new J Seats are ok but have to be flipped and only a small foot well.

Comment

Another memory we have in our family we have of the 747 goes back to January 1991 around the time my uncle died in Singapore.I was not on the plane but MUM flew up on the Big Top 743 with her sister and returned on a Qantas 767 about a week later.Those were the days when Melbourne and Adelaide shared the same flight before being delinked when MEL got the A340 in 1996 and we South Australians had to make do with the A310 due to Runway length at the time.

Comment

Looks like B744 is making (at least) one more trip down under.
        1/4/10 SQ231 and 2/4/10 SQ222.
        I guess the reason for this is to allow a 77W to go MX.
        F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
          Hope that it is not an April Fool's joke! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by SQJunkie View Post
            That's right... in fact the B744 is on BOTH SQ231 and SQ222 (since this is the rotation for the aircraft) on 1st and 2nd April - so two days.

Comment

Just a gentle reminder, later on tonight (1 Apr) and 2 Apr, SQ231 & SQ222 will be operated by a B744.

Bet most of us love the Sky Suites so much, those who are on the flight, do enjoy!

Comment

Yup - SPQ currently in SYD.

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
                  Just a gentle reminder, later on tonight (1 Apr) and 2 Apr, SQ231 & SQ222 will be operated by a B744.

Bet most of us love the Sky Suites so much, those who are on the flight, do enjoy!
                  Yes. It has this ageless and enduring love despite the coming of the new or no longer so new R Class suite or the 777-300ER FC Seat. SQ really did it right on the 747 FC.

Comment

9V-SPQ served both days (Apr 1 & 2) in SYD

SQ222 departing on Apr 1

SQ231 arriving on Apr 2

SQ222 departing on Apr 2

Comment

Originally posted by SQTalker View Post
                      9V-SPQ served both days (Apr 1 & 2) in SYD
                      Hi SQTalker,

Nice shots!!!

Can't wait to be on it in July SQ25 FRA - JFK - FRA!!!!!!!!

Cheers
                      SQ1

Comment

Working...
                      X