Check what you pay for your tickets -SQ does a dirty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check what you pay for your tickets -SQ does a dirty

I made a booking and paid for a First Class return ticket to/from SYD/SIN/SEL back in Dec 2010 using the Internet Booking for my travel in Jan 2010, and guess what, I checked again, today, just for the heck of it, and found if I booked the same flights, they were about $1500.00 cheaper.

Trouble is I cannot cancel the flight and rebook for the cheaper flight as there are - suposedly penalities involved.

Obviously they have reduced the prices for travel during this period, and I wonder if this is another way that SQ resorts to "conning" their customers.
    I had always thought that it did not matter when you made the booking but its the actual time of travel that dictated prices.

I am seriously considering NOT using SQ services again!!

Originally posted by Cashsuds View Post
    I made a booking and paid for a First Class return ticket to/from SYD/SIN/SEL back in Dec 2010 using the Internet Booking for my travel in Jan 2010, and guess what, I checked again, today, just for the heck of it, and found if I booked the same flights, they were about $1500.00 cheaper.

Trouble is I cannot cancel the flight and rebook for the cheaper flight as there are - suposedly penalities involved.

Obviously they have reduced the prices for travel during this period, and I wonder if this is another way that SQ resorts to "conning" their customers.
    I had always thought that it did not matter when you made the booking but its the actual time of travel that dictated prices.

I am seriously considering NOT using SQ services again!!
    If it's a First class fare like you say it is, and you've paid top dollar (hence pretty close to F full fare) for it.... I don't see why it can't be refunded for very close to the full amount. Care to share more details?

Comment

Of course, its full fare.. It was approx A$7500,00 for the return trip!! I telephoned Singapore as Sydney offices are closed, and they would not wish to comment, apart from saying I have to pay a "cancellation fee", if I cancelled and rebooked. They did not specify.
      Has anyone else encountered this before??

Comment

Cancellation fee is SGD 75, so is still worth to cancel and re-book again.

However, you need to clarify with SQ why the price has dropped.

Usually, if the load/demand booking picks up, the price should increase for economy & business, but for First class, the price will NOT drop from my experience no matter how full it is.

For First class, your booking is supposed to be fully flexible and you can actually cancel it (pay the SGD75 refund fee) and then rebook using the new fares. There should not have any other penalties (besides the SGD 75) involved.

You could share with us more details so we could try to assist you.
        Last edited by feb01mel; 18 January 2010, 11:14 PM. Reason: amend content

Comment

Why is it "conning" their customers ? You were happy with the price you paid at the time you paid it. You should know that whenever you buy anything (an airline ticket in Y. J or F or any other good), the price may drop (or go up) the next day - that's life.

What you describe (the price is determined by the time of travel) is, if I remember correctly, the standard IATA position but AFAIK this is not the case for the (vast ?) majority of airfares.

Otherwise, if what you say is the position, presumably you would have been happy to pay more if the price went up after you paid but before you travelled ?

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
          Cancellation fee is SGD 75, so is still worth to cancel and re-book again.
          [...]
          For First class, your booking is supposed to be fully flexible and you can actually cancel it and then rebook using the new fares. There should not have any penalties involved.
          Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but doesn't your first statement contradict your second statement ?

Comment

JHM, I made the booking in early Dec 09. Business ethics works in the way as it should be - You book early and pay up front cash to get the cheapest fare!! Not the other way round.. If this was the case, I won't be making my bookings so early, but waiting till the last minute.

Airline seats do not get obsolete. I will be happy if the product I was buying earlier on was clearly understood that a new model will be replacing it. In this case, sudden discounts like this is disastrous!!

Comment

Business ethics dictates that the price at the time is what you paid.

Treat airline fares as commodities - they rise and fall. There is no guarantee that the fare nearer the date of travel will be cheaper.

Comment

JHM, I made the booking in early Dec 09. Business ethics works in the way as it should be - You book early and pay up front cash to get the cheapest fare!! Not the other way round.. If this was the case, I won't be making my bookings so early, but waiting till the last minute.

Airline seats do not get obsolete. I will be happy if the product I was buying earlier on was clearly understood that a new model will be replacing it. In this case, sudden discounts like this is disastrous!!
                It's no different from me purchasing a discounted non-refundable non-flexible business class fare on BA (for example) and finding out the next day that BA announce a sale.

As far as airfare pricing is concerned, prices generally do go up nearer departure but there are exceptions, e.g. Y (at least) domestic airfares in China where the heavily discounted fares are only sold very near departure (e.g. I remember buying a ticket from Beijing to Kunming which was 60% discounted - I bought/paid in the morning and flew in the afternoon).

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but doesn't your first statement contradict your second statement ?
                  Haha jhm, sorry for the confusion. Just amended my content.

For First class, your booking is supposed to be fully flexible and you can actually cancel it (pay the SGD75 refund fee) and then rebook using the new fares. There should not have any other penalties (besides the SGD 75) involved.

Comment

If it's a full fare ticket you've got then you should only have a small cancellation fee due if you do cancel and with the difference in price of $1500 then that's a no brainer. Pat yourself on the pat for checking and saving yourself almost $1500 rather than rant at the airline, as I am afraid this happens regularly.

While they have undoubtedly done 'a dirty' on us over various issue over the last few years, I think on this occassion that's a bit harsh.

Comment

There is no con. When you ticket you are agreeing to the price. If the airfare had gone up by thousands would you have been happy to be told pay up the extra or you won't be flying? Of course not (I don't know of any airline that does this), so why should it be any different when the fare goes down?

In any case, if you have a refundable ticket you can cancel for a small penalty and reticket to get most of the savings.

For example the currently available fare on singaporeair.com is fare basis PWB which has A$120 cancellation penalty.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        What you describe (the price is determined by the time of travel) is, if I remember correctly, the standard IATA position but AFAIK this is not the case for the (vast ?) majority of airfares.
                        Correction: having just checked, this was the standard IATA position but no longer. From the IATA Passenger Fare Construction Handbook (2007/8):

Fares and charges used are those in effect on the date of commencement of travel from the origin shown on the ticket.

[...]

In 2003 the IATA airlines reversed the policy and made the various government reservations the norm. Instead of the date of commencement of travel, fares and charges are those in effect on the date on which full payment is made, for travel on the specific dates and journey shown on the ticket.

However, to date this resolution continues to await government action. As this has not yet been declared effective, the guidelines specified [above] continue to apply following original Resolution 049.

Otherwise, if the new resolution 049x received government approval including that of the US DoT, no increase in fare effected through a change in fare level, a change in conditions governing the fare, or cancellation of the fare itself shall apply. Such increases may be waived provided no voluntary change is made to the originating flight.
                        As of today, IATA resolution 049x is in effect (replacing resolution 049) so the above is only historical now.

Comment

I've never heard of a first class fare with penalties - maybe 'processing' fees to change flights but generally airlines are willing to waive that for first class passengers. In the worst case that they don't issue a refund, they will provide travel credit to be applied to another flight within a certain period of time.

It's like buying real-estate. You pay money for it now based on its value today. If it goes up... you are happy. If it goes down... you could be unhappy. Even a car dealer. Nobody pays the same price for a car even though the end product is the same.

If spendin $75 saves $1500... as others have stated it is a no-brainer.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
                            Business ethics dictates that the price at the time is what you paid.

Treat airline fares as commodities - they rise and fall. There is no guarantee that the fare nearer the date of travel will be cheaper.
                            Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by allmotor_2000 View Post

If spendin $75 saves $1500... as others have stated it is a no-brainer.
                              Good deal.... I would be thanking SQ!

Comment

Working...
                              X