Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Damaged in Bag? Claim or no?

Hi,

So just landed Tokyo to find that a rather expensive magnum of 2004 Chardonnay Reserve had been smashed inside my bag (despite being wrapped very carefully with a bunch of padding)... and so...

Is it "buyer beware" and I'm the idiot, or should I complain and seek some kind of compensation?

tx

P

I believe that if the case itself is not damaged, then yes it's not claimable. Insurance just says you put breakables inside, and packed it poorly.

If the case is damaged then you have some cause for claim, on really poor handling.

Comment

Hmmm... did you indicate at check-in that there is something fragile inside? Would that have made any difference, I wonder?

On the bright side, at least it is not a red wine. Would have really messed up all your other stuff in the bag, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by KC* View Post
        Hmmm... did you indicate at check-in that there is something fragile inside? Would that have made any difference, I wonder?

I always believe that putting a "Fragile" label on your bag is just like putting a target in front of a gun......something to aim at. Red Rag to a Bull etc. and whatever other cliche we can think of

Comment

Really there is no case to claim anything like that against the airline as most likely that the bottle was poorly wrapped.

I have carried wine too. I wrap them first in ziplock bags, then in towels, then in a plastic bag, stuffed in between layers of clothing. I also make sure that I if the bag is empty, I carry them in a hard case. If I have lots of clothes, then in a soft case as the extra clothing will act as a cushion.

Other than that, you would have to get the wine merchant to pack it professionally and then you check it in as 'fragile' items. I saw people load special cases of wine that is put on a special caged trolley from Sydney airport once...

Comment

Thanks all... I just washed my clothes and got over it...

I've travelled with wine tons of times before... but never through LAX... so i'm blaming them .

P

Comment

Oh definitely blame LAX or any US airport.

I was once told by a AA check in agent that she refused to put on a Fragile label on any item that can break in your luggage as they are not responsible.

I had picture frames! Wrapped and double wrapped and flying from SAN-LAX-HKG-SIN. But she absolutely refused to tag the bags that way.

Well, 3 out of 4 of the frames broke. I had packed it in a hard suitcase. But I don't know how they handle bags in LAX but well, it has to do with all the airports combined.

Comment

Well I suppose it's always better to give it a try

Comment

Does not seem to be a valid claim as you choose to put such an item in your baggage knowing that there is a high risk of it breaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                    Well, 3 out of 4 of the frames broke. I had packed it in a hard suitcase. But I don't know how they handle bags in LAX but well, it has to do with all the airports combined.

I had a hard case severely damaged on the way to Europe one time (well, a couple of times but for the purposes of this point......) and as i made my claim at the BA Baggage Office in Edinburgh Airport there was one guy came in after me with a bin liner going tinkle tinkle.

Turns out he bought a picture, in a frame with glass etc. whilst on holiday then checked it in for the return. He was explaining this to the girl assisting me, over me..... I had to seriously bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. I could have shouted at him for interupting but his story was so funny I had to let him go on. He just put the picture in a bin liner and checked it in. The poor girl helping me had one of those "Oh FFS" faces and it was a reminder for me that there are some serious numpties still out there.

At least we all take a bit of effort. But whilst there are numpties flying, remember there are some equally stupid people working at the aiports themselves.

Picture frames are different from wine however, since fluids are not allowed on board anymore but a couple of times CX have helped by allowing bigger pictures to fly J whilst i sit in the tail, to pick up upon landing. It's trucky just turning up at the airport and hoping for that to happen because if not...

Comment

deleted
                      Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X