• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OVERHEAD baggage compartment rage on SQ219

Not something one hears of on SQ !

The Daily Telegraph
    18 December 2009

OVERHEAD baggage compartment rage has arrived in Australia on Singapore Airlines SQ219.

Punches were thrown when two passengers got into a stoush over space in the luggage lockers, reports the Daily Telegraph.

The two men had to be separated by airline staff after one became so irate he punched his fellow passenger. The victim was relocated to another seat. It is not known if he was upgraded.

Industry experts warned that the case of baggage rage in Australia may be the first of many as airlines charge for checked-in luggage.

"Every time you fly you can usually see one person with some huge bag and think `How the hell did they get away with carrying that on board?''' aviation expert Ben Sandilands said.

"When there is no room above their seat, they take the space above someone else's and people don't like it when these turkeys do that.''

Singapore Airlines said they were working with the Australian Federal Police over the incident, which occurred before SQ219 left Singapore's Changi Airport.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/tra...-1225811609825
    F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Yikes! I sometimes wonder what people think when they strike another person.....

Comment

On this note, I'd like to share an experience I had on the same flight, SQ219 in May this year. As I was boarding the aircraft, I was stopped at Row 30-something (the end of the first Y cabin) because there was a little hoo-ha... this passenger had a carry-on, which he could not lift up into the overhead locker because it was too heavy.

Quite clearly, even with the assistance of the petite FSS, the bag was going no where. I decided (perhaps against my wisdom) to help the two of them lift the bag up to into the overhead locker, and boy was it heavy... and in the process, it nearly dropped onto one other passenger sitting nearby...

Should I have spoken to the FSS in private and asked her if the bag could not be gate-checked as if the lockers are overloaded, they may collapse in an emergency or a rough landing?

Comment

If they insist on these retarded charges, I think the airlines should stop charging for checked luggage and start charging for carryons. It's getting ridiculous boarding flights now because people are carting their entire houses onboard. Guess the days of obtaining top ontime status are by the wayside now.
        HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          Yikes! I sometimes wonder what people think when they strike another person.....
          They don't really think at that moment in time, that's why they strike...

Being for whatever reason (frustration, stress, anger, etc.) over the edge prior to boarding almost eliminates the possibility of applying rational reasoning and controlling yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
            If they insist on these retarded charges, I think the airlines should stop charging for checked luggage and start charging for carryons. It's getting ridiculous boarding flights now because people are carting their entire houses onboard. Guess the days of obtaining top ontime status are by the wayside now.
            It was interesting during my domestic flights in US that more folks seems to be carrying oversized hand carried luggages onboard. Probably to avoid paying for the charges. The check in at CON Air was surprised that I was checking in 3 bags! Of course, I was not that generous and it was a time when I appreciated StarGold status from SQ.
            Last edited by LionCity; 18 December 2009, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
              II think the airlines should stop charging for checked luggage and start charging for carryons. It's getting ridiculous boarding flights now because people are carting their entire houses onboard.
              Mate, I wouldn't be throwing out ideas like that on here... they may well take you seriously, and soon we'd only be bringing onboard whatever we wore!

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

As LionCity has pointed out, the charge does not effect most of us who have status. It's just the lag time in boarding that I can't stand. Not to mention waiting for people to finish arguing with the gate agents that their four bags should be allowed onboard...or my planes constantly taking off and getting in late.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post

Quite clearly, even with the assistance of the petite FSS, the bag was going no where. I decided (perhaps against my wisdom) to help the two of them lift the bag up to into the overhead locker, and boy was it heavy... and in the process, it nearly dropped onto one other passenger sitting nearby...
                    What a ridiculous situation!

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
                      On this note, I'd like to share an experience I had on the same flight, SQ219 in May this year. As I was boarding the aircraft, I was stopped at Row 30-something (the end of the first Y cabin) because there was a little hoo-ha... this passenger had a carry-on, which he could not lift up into the overhead locker because it was too heavy.

Should I have spoken to the FSS in private and asked her if the bag could not be gate-checked as if the lockers are overloaded, they may collapse in an emergency or a rough landing?
                      Such a heavy bag is unsuitable to be used in the overhead locker. I would have asked if there is a (floor-level) closet the bag could be stowed in or suggested putting in the hold. There is a reason for carry on limits and the passengers seated nearby should not be placed in danger due to the selfishness of the passenger with ridiculously overweight carry-ons.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        Such a heavy bag is unsuitable to be used in the overhead locker. I would have asked if there is a (floor-level) closet the bag could be stowed in or suggested putting in the hold. There is a reason for carry on limits and the passengers seated nearby should not be placed in danger due to the selfishness of the passenger with ridiculously overweight carry-ons.
                        Agreed 100%! I disliked those guys who have their overhead luggages and then overflowing into my area.

Comment

I was referring to weight, not volume.

Carry ons being too heavy is a safety issue.
                          Too many carry ons is a space / convenience issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                            I was referring to weight, not volume.

Carry ons being too heavy is a safety issue.
                            Too many carry ons is a space / convenience issue.
                            I was referring to both. The space is also a safety issue from the blows you receive from the other passenger. I have had a heated argument onboard with another passenger on a DPS - SIN with his oversized luggage. If thump him, I will be at police station and if he thumped me, I will have a bloodly nose. From there on I intensely disliked those kind PITAs onboard.

The other time was this arrogant passenger who insisted on talking on the phone just before take off. Similar situation almost took place.

Anyway, there is a reasonable correlation between weight and size!
                            Last edited by LionCity; 20 December 2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

I am surprised that the FAs turned a blind eye to the oversized or overweight carry on. Isn't it an obvious rule that any carry on that cannot be stowed safely needed to be gate checked?

Comment

Working...
                              X