Flight overbooked - help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight overbooked - help needed

I recently redeemed a flight from SIN > SYD on 19 Dec J class with SQ231 operated by B777-300 (Don't know if it has the new cabin products). A day later the SQ office called me and said it's overbooked thus I'll need to take SQ233 that departs at 7 in the morning. I've already requested BTC and made my seat selection.

Worse still, they said if I wanted that flight I had to pay for the difference in miles (90k -45k) plus a SGD 75 admin fee, or i'd take SQ219 that I need not pay for the miles but admin fee instead. I can't wait for SQ219 as it departs at 0940 and I have already made arrangments in SYD nor do I have the extra miles to pay for SQ223. Would it be possible to ask SQ to transfer me onto
    another airline or at least compensate for my arrangements (e.g hotel booking)?

Thanks

Wow, I didn't know they can force you to take another flight with a confirmed booking. Cite them the conditions of carriage and see if they will accomodate you. Say that you have a confirmed ticket for that flight, if they are overbooked due to website error, that is not your fault. So since you have a confirmed ticket, they have to process you according to CoC or Op-Up someone from J to F.

Comment

Yes, fully agree with fone.

If is confirmed booking, they should NOT require you to change flight unless for a very special reason but not for the reason you quoted. They should either op someone from Biz to First or upgrade you to First at the gate.

Escalate and fight this case pls...

Comment

Originally posted by fone View Post
        Wow, I didn't know they can force you to take another flight with a confirmed booking. Cite them the conditions of carriage and see if they will accomodate you. Say that you have a confirmed ticket for that flight, if they are overbooked due to website error, that is not your fault. So since you have a confirmed ticket, they have to process you according to CoC or Op-Up someone from J to F.
        I asked them if i could be op-uped but they said since i redeemed my miles it's unlikely. And since it's overbooked I need to standby at the airport. I told them if i don't get a seat then i'd have to wait almost 6 hours for the next flight I'm just wondering : I got a confirmed booking and you're telling me it's overbooked and have to pay for the next flight? How could it be?
        Last edited by First_Flyer; 13 December 2009, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Update

So far they said Y seat was available, I quickly said yes. But they also said it remains uncertain if i could get a seat in J on the same flight as they're in the midst of op-up-ing someone to F.

Comment

If you've already paid the required miles for a J seat (along with taxes and surcharges) and if the ticket has already been issued, they are not supposed to deny you a seat on the flight or require you to top-up additional miles to get on another flight. It all sounds a little bit ludicrous to me... I agree with the others, you really should call them and escalate your case.

Comment

Originally posted by a340-313x View Post
              If you've already paid the required miles for a J seat (along with taxes and surcharges) and if the ticket has already been issued, they are not supposed to deny you a seat on the flight or require you to top-up additional miles to get on another flight. It all sounds a little bit ludicrous to me... I agree with the others, you really should call them and escalate your case.
              Perhaps the website's fault?

Comment

OP: The website is Singapore Airline's property, so it is their responsibility.

From your point of view, you have ticketed the ticket as per requirements (paid in miles, paid the taxes). They have issued you the ticket, which means they have entered into an agreement to carry you to SYD, in J class, at the aircraft number promised.

Now that they have problems in carrying you on that contract, they have to,

Carrier shall, with due consideration to the passenger’s reasonable interests, either:
                carry the passenger on another of its scheduled passenger services on which space is available; or
                re-route the passenger to the destination indicated on the ticket or applicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional fare or charge from the passenger, and shall refund the difference if the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower; or
                make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 11 Paragraph 3.

I can see from your postings that you are quite an understanding person - but at this moment in time, I feel you will be severely short-changed if you were to give in to the other side, who does not appear understanding. Keep pressing the matter, in fact, if it was me, after solving the problem, I would have demanded an apology and some compensation for the ludicrous suggestion of me paying an admin fee for them to change the flight!

Let us know how it goes.

Comment

deleted
                  Last edited by trekkie; 14 December 2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Agree with the rest of the posters. They should let you board the flight as per your redeem ticket. And I also don't think it's fair for you to pay any admin fee since the fault is from SQ. Perhaps you should file a strong complaint afterwards whatever the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                      was the trip ticketed before they called?
                      Isn't it a requirement for immediate ticketing when claiming / upgrading flights using miles?
                      God must have been a ship owner, he placed the raw materials far from where they are needed and covered two-thirds of the earth with water...

Comment

Hold on, I called the SQ call centre all this while and yes, I got connected to India. They don't even seem to know what they're doing . Guess i'll pop myself in to the SQ office tomorrow. Anyway a Y seat has become available so I guess I'll get the refund in miles and/or money if the taxes and surcharges differ. However the person whom I spoke to on the phone (in India i presume) still insisted I paid the admin fee or whatsoever fee to change the ticket

Comment

Originally posted by First_Flyer View Post
                          Hold on, I called the SQ call centre all this while and yes, I got connected to India. They don't even seem to know what they're doing . Guess i'll pop myself in to the SQ office tomorrow. Anyway a Y seat has become available so I guess I'll get the refund in miles and/or money if the taxes and surcharges differ. However the person whom I spoke to on the phone (in India i presume) still insisted I paid the admin fee or whatsoever fee to change the ticket
                          First_Flyer - my advice to you is not to pay any fee and pop into an SQ office to sort it all out at the earliest opportunity. Like everybody has said here, in essence, you should not be held hostage by the airline since you already have a ticketed and confirmed redemption in J on SQ231. If they insist on putting you in SQ233, they should not even be charging you extra miles for it since it is an involuntary change.

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by trekkie; 14 December 2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trekkie View Post
                              if there is a ticket number, SQ can't do anything apart from suspending the ticket. just remember to OLCI. and print out the e-ticket.

don't bother to call. You are asking for trouble.
                              I agree, OLCI and show up.

Comment

Working...
                              X