SQ contemplates flights to Sao Paulo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ contemplates flights to Sao Paulo

If true, this will be the most significant route development for SQ in years. Singapore - Barcelona - Sao Paulo - Barcelona - Singapore flights would be SQ's longest flights as well.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo....main/4629655/

I say unlikely but BRING IT ON!

Comment

Does SQ have fifth freedom in Spain? The only port of call that comes to mind for a ASEAN/S America connection looks to FRA currently.

What frame would they use, surely a 77E cannot make that range. Might a 77W be an overkill?

Comment

Great news if it happens.

I'm surprised by the number of Singapore businessmen I've met that fly to Brazil on business.

Maybe this flight is for them... and Spanish businessmen.

South America is very much within Spain's "sphere of [economic]influence".

( OK Brazil was a Portuguese colony but the rest of South America was Spanish.)

Comment

Thanks to Google translate, here's the translated text of:-
          http://www.sepla.es/website/seplacms..._pdf=1&id=3474

Singapore Airlines battle for the Barcelona-São Paulo route
          Monday, 30 November 2009
          La Vanguardia
          Aintzane Gastesi - Barcelona. The Asian carrier Singapore Airlines is studying various strategies to expand its
          presence at the airport of Barcelona. The most ambitious plan deck is set up in El Prat scale of its
          new Singapore-São Paulo route, which for travelers from the Catalan capital would have two advantages. On the one
          hand, reduce travel time between Barcelona and Singapore, by removing the technical stop in Milan. And
          another, would open a direct route to Sao Paulo, now only possible by indirect routes with a stop in Madrid, Lisbon or some
          European capitals.

The opening of this route is one of the preferred targets of the Asian company, as has already opened
          negotiations with the ministries of Development of Singapore, Spain and Brazil to sign the trilateral agreement
          should govern such flights involving the three countries. "The viability of this route via Barcelona has a high
          percentage chance of success ", say company sources, but note that other airports as
          Frankfurt also are among the options.
          Currently there are no direct flights between Barcelona and São Paulo, even though Brazil is one of the economies
          emerging and that the path moves 50,000 passengers each year with high purchasing power, mainly in travel
          business and a high rate of business class travelers, according to industry data.
          Still, according to company sources, if the three-way negotiations are prolonged, the strategy for
          Barcelona airport will pass a plan B, in which El Prat also exercise the functions of hub connection
          internationally. The alternative route is to extend the flight to Barajas Madrid to attract passengers and compete with
          Iberia.
          Both options provide for the relocation of the existing base of Milan to Barcelona airport, which will involve
          increase staffing company in El Prat, and mount operations of its aircraft maintenance and
          catering for their flights. In addition, personnel who operate their flights, both pilots and cabin crew, will
          a base at the airfield Catalan.
          The Asian airline is in preliminary talks to operate code-share with Spanair, which will
          bring traffic to the Spanish domestic market routes to Singapore and to São Paulo. Terence Lim, new
          CEO of the company in Spain and Portugal, says that "the route of the company to Barcelona continues
          maturing and growing at the pace expected. "He explains that since the company headquarters have marked the
          Prat as a point of growth in full recession.
          Last edited by Caravelle; 7 December 2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

.........and more Spanish-to-English translation .......... courtesy of Google Translate
            http://www.expansion.com/2009/11/20/...258749149.html

Spanair want to fly to Sao Paulo to Singapore Airlines
            Posted on 21-11-09 by Ignasi Pujol Barcelona

Spanair will not transoceanic routes from El Prat Airport, at least until 2011. However, the airline is negotiating with several companies the opportunity to operate long haul flights in code share, ie input for flights and jointly market the link.

The company, controlled by a group of Catalan businessmen and institutions, along with Singapore Airlines looks to extend its daily Singapore-Barcelona flight to Sao Paulo (Brazil), a destination that now offers El Prat, explain sources of Spanair.

The airline is negotiating with Singapore Catalan operate the flight to South Asian enclave in shared code. Singapore announced this week that studies eliminate the stop in Milan and extend the flight to Madrid.

Spanair has announced that it has reached an agreement with Continental to fly to New York from El Prat and Madrid-Barajas Airport from next summer (see last EXPANSION October 29).

The company chaired by Ferran Soriano has asked the U.S. to pursue other destinations from El Prat, which could be Boston.

Spanair also wants to sign Barcelona alliances with Japan's ANA, United, Air China to fly to Tokyo, Washington and Beijing. In Madrid operated in codeshare with TAM to Sao Paulo. The first intercontinental route Spanair itself could be El Prat-Buenos Aires. She is also interested Sao Paulo, Bogota and Quito.

Comments
            soriano (Author without e-mail public) on November 21, 2009 at 21:14 (notice the moderator)

jajjaja not have money to pay the payroll and say almost to flights beyond the pool's pretty funny ....

we have no money, no planes, no people ... so we convince others to do so .. Catalans are well ..

Sandoval (Author without e-mail advertising) November 21, 2009 at 21:17 (notice the moderator)

soriano, we have nothing to do but with public money smelters de catalunya nor will so the only option is to convince others to do what we should to us but we can not ever .. jajjaja
            in 2011, Spanair is in bankruptcy and have to re-sell for 1 euro ...

Free World (Author without e-mail advertising) November 21, 2009 at 23:53 (notice the moderator)

It would be great, and I say from Sao Paolo on a business trip! Although not understand why TAM is not convinced that fly from Barcelona. It would make more sense, except that you have new aircraft.

pepin on November 22, 2009 at 00:50 (notice the moderator)

Mercedes ferrán tell us that we pay allowances are by convention, I had to break my children's piggy banks to go to the course that I've sent to Palma, you are pathetic, I racaneais 55 eur per day of course, you give sorrow

unodefuera (Author without e-mail public) on November 22, 2009 at 01:17 (notice the moderator)

is that it sends coj ... , Which pretty everything. And while here in BCN enduring a bad way to see what happens. For me to close and send us all to our homes in our lands, the first thing was screwed up with the closure of bases. Or the open again, and they take advantage ... shortcut fanatics go ...

mariadelaO (Author without e-mail advertising) November 22, 2009 at 01:21 (notice the moderator)

planes because I see them quite lame COMPLETITO ... "When it spends the money?

lascosasporsunombre on November 22, 2009 at 09:08 (notice the moderator)

For public money turn their heads and look to Iberia and besides with astronomical losses.

soriano (Author without e-mail public) on November 22, 2009 at 21:16 (notice the moderator)

I spend money on dinners, lunches, trips with my girlfriend and my Amigitos muffin .... jabugo as seafood and every day just because others do "work" the company .. so until that break .. good money but there is no SAS continues to provide us without people finding out .. until we get a profit that is ever jajaja

livin la vida loca (Author without e-mail advertising) November 22, 2009 at 21:17 (notice the moderator)

Soriano if he knows Barca, Spanair, ... without giving stick to water ...

Jose Robledo (Author without e-mail advertising) November 23, 2009 at 20:23 (notice the moderator)

For the "spade a spade ".... it is better that you spend a nice sheets, for comment on the p.idea you have no aviation. Iberia was lost as a state, osea, 15 years ago. Was privatized and the company is almost European reference absolute mistress of traffic to Latin America, and British is that it runs to merge, nothing to do with the starving of Spanair. Until this year profit was brutal, and this year if you are lost, but has the sound box so that you can afford comfortably. Please inform yourself before saying nonsense, that envy is very bad.

Comment

With Latin America linked in its network, SQ's route map would finally span all the 5 continents (except Antarctica, of course).

Comment

I would be most happy if this route happens or any route SQ will fly to GRU. Looking forward to going to GRU again....hopefully next year.

A 77E will be able to do it considering it is stopping in BCN.

Comment

Changi airport needs this link to South America. Its connectivity cannot be truly called global, without this link.

Comment

Bring it!
                    blog

Comment

As I understand, MH is making a loss on this route. But I would love SQ top fly there !

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                        As I understand, MH is making a loss on this route. But I would love SQ top fly there !
                        MH doesn't fly to Brazil. They fly to Buenos Aires via JNB and CPT -- 2x week.
                        So: different market; different route......................

Comment

Oh that would be great, at least it'll be useful to enhance the market between South East Asia and South America. Knowing the only south east asian carriers that fly to South America is only MH (Buenos Aires), so i think SQ will also play the role later

Comment

Originally posted by boing View Post
                            MH's load factor to EZE is consistently full .. and with full traffic rights between South Africa and EZE, they are very competitive with their 'asian' services.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                              MH's load factor to EZE is consistently full .. and with full traffic rights between South Africa and EZE, they are very competitive with their 'asian' services.
                              However, that route loses a lot of money, and I recently saw for the first time (during an interview in Airline Business Magazine with the new CEO of MH) them confess they have been forced to keep it for politcial reasons and it is under review, again.

Comment

Working...
                              X