Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the 'class beyond First' ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to the 'class beyond First' ?

Interesting article on SQ on page two of Wednesday's Business Times.

A few things are mentioned including CCS taling a 20% pay cut, aircraft parked etc, but the point of the article seems to be to reiterate that despite these cutbacks, they have not touched the budget ($11 million per year) for Dom and Krug for first-class passengers.

It goes on to say that 'For a $19,000 return ticket on the A380 to London from Singpore, first-class passengers get Dom Perignon, Krug Grand Cuvee, a selection of wines from Bordeaux along with Petrossian Inc white sturgeon caviar. The choice of meal includes Lobster Thermodior with buttered asparagus......etc etc'

First-class passengers also receive LVMH Moet Hennessy Louis Vitton SA Givenchy (why didn't they just put 'Givenchy' here ?!) pyjamas and amenity kits from Salvatore Feragamo SpA'.

The point is, other than describing the 'private suites on the A380' they refer each time to 'First class', not 'Suites Class' or anything 'beyond' anything else.

The title of the article is 'SIA maintains course in offering first-class fare'

If they intend to continue marketing it as such, then it's poor PR vetting for the press release.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      If they intend to continue marketing it as such, then it's poor PR vetting for the press release.
      Indeed, which leads me to think they have finally realised that most people don't see Suites as beyond anything (other than redemption ), so have quietly dropped that tag line.

It's a high quality First Class, and that's it. After all, if we say that their benchmark F product over the last few years was the SkySuite on the 744, then what is that sub-standard (but adequate for regional) F product on the older 777's, a class 'behind' first ?.

Comment

My X'mas wish is for them to scrap "Suites Class" and put in a proper "First Class" cabin ( not just rename it ).

In fact, tried to get seats this month for SIN-NRT.

All classes/flights are full except for Suites on dates I wanted.

Comment

I have been underwhelmed by the suites, they are not a 'class beyond first' and they are not really any different to the ones Emirates have. They certainly do not command a premium fare.

As usual with SIA, there was a lot of hype about something which wasn't so special after all. While on the subject, I don't like the F seats on the 773ER either, they are far too wide to be comfortable. The skysuites on the 774 were worth paying for - now upgrade them a bit and there's something I would want to buy. Come to think of it, NH already have!

Comment

Originally posted by lhrpete View Post
            I have been underwhelmed by the suites, they are not a 'class beyond first' and they are not really any different to the ones Emirates have. They certainly do not command a premium fare.

As usual with SIA, there was a lot of hype about something which wasn't so special after all. While on the subject, I don't like the F seats on the 773ER either, they are far too wide to be comfortable. The skysuites on the 774 were worth paying for - now upgrade them a bit and there's something I would want to buy. Come to think of it, NH already have!
            I fully agree with the above.

SQ will open up Suites in 2010 for F. Unfortunately, they won't have a chance to do much with the 77W F seat. The SkySuite was a fantastic product and SQ won't introduce a new F product in the next five years.

Comment

I'm so glad the 744 is stay on the SYD-SIN SQ220 service until 01FEB...more opportunity now to go on SkySuites again! They are so nice.

And I just saw the new NH First - that looks simply amazing - can't wait to try it.

Comment

Would I dare say it?? It looks like SQ has made real "mess" with their so called suites - class beyond first.. Bring back the skysuites in First, and that's what they are doing, I believe... Their " class beyond" in the 380's really messes up with my travel as to get proper connections, one has to pay the " A380 surcharge". Eg, to fly from SYD/SIN/SEL on First vv, there is a penalty of AU$5000.00 to get proper connections using the only A380/772 connection. How can anyone justify using the "class beyond" on one sector to get a direct connection and then come down to earth with an old "First" on the 772 for an extra $2500??? I might as well fly the First on the 773's overnight in Singapore (at my own expense) at a 5 star hotel, say for $400.00 and still come up on top...

And, yet, wait for this... If you travel on Y, the fares are all the same... Does this look like SQ is trying to "fleece" their loyal customers who fly Biz or First??

The A380 suites is not that good, really, not too different from Emirates - Big Deal!!

Comment

Originally posted by lhrpete View Post
                  While on the subject, I don't like the F seats on the 773ER either, they are far too wide to be comfortable. The skysuites on the 774 were worth paying for - now upgrade them a bit and there's something I would want to buy.
                  +1

Not a fan of F on the 77W either. Give me a SkySuite on a 744 ahead of F on the 77W any day of the week.

It's not helped by the fact J is so good on the 77W, especially that first cabin of two rows, which is just like F. I wonder if there any lunatics out there who have shelled out the farcical number of miles they want to upgrade from J to F on the 77W ?.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I wonder if there any lunatics out there who have shelled out the farcical number of miles they want to upgrade from J to F on the 77W ?.
                    Disappointment guaranteed I would say!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      I wonder if there any lunatics out there who have shelled out the farcical number of miles they want to upgrade from J to F on the 77W ?.
                      Dunno, but the people that might have actually done this sort of thing might also have had a so many miles they can AFFORD to be lunatics

Comment

Working...
                      X