SQ's Fare Non-sense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ's Fare Non-sense

Let's collect some money among the SQTalker and let's get Mr Chew and his team some pocket calculators for Christmas.

Please vote for the worst fare out there or add your favourite fare:

Candidate 1:

If you wanna fly JFK-FRA/LHR-SIN/SIN-HKG-SFO in First (747/77W/77W), SQ is offering you the ticket for 6.699 USD.

If you wanna fly the very same routing in Business (747/77W/77W), SQ is offering you the ticket for 6.699 USD (5.299 USD base fare plus 500 USD LHR-SIN plus 300 USD SIN-HKG plus 600 USD HKG-SFO - all surcharges for flying 77W).

Price difference between an itinerary all in F vs. all in J = 0. Of course you will get more miles for flying in F, hence the ticket in F is actually cheaper... And for zero dollars you will get a better seat, food and service...

Please note that flights from/to South West Pacific are prohibited as per the rules but SQ is still quoting a surcharge of 400 USD for flights that go to South West Pacific...

Candidate 2:

If you wanna fly First Class / Suites SYD-SIN-NRT return early next year, you can pay

18.000 AUD for flying First/Suites on 77A/A380/A380/77A
    or
    13.455 AUD for flying Suites only on all four segments
    or
    7.300 AUD for flying First on 77W/774/774/77W

whoa there - before we all go become a lynching mob.... what is the fare basis for the comparisons made?

Comment

Let's kill the beast - SQ is in desperate need of a better management... I am willing to help out :-) Is the CEO entitled for travel in Suites? :-)

I am afraid, my first decision in the office would be to abolish Suites but that's a different story. Back to the question:

1) CEZSQ vs FEZSQ - starting and end point is the US, surcharges apply for all "new" aircrafts 77W, 345, 388

2) Doesn't really matter: If R-R-R-R is cheaper than F-R-R-F, then SQ should think about the "Class beyond First". The last itinerary is F only - still with "new" First for half the way... All fare quotes are the very same dates.

Comment

I can see your point, in that when you add on these surcharges they still want on the new J product on the 77W, you can fly in F for the same price, which is a bit of a no brainer. I really like the new J, but tend to look at other options rather than pay the surcharge. It's killed the CRTW on the 77W for me with the increase in the base product as well, which I don't think will upset them too much as they are not that fond of the CRTWSTAR products apparently.

It would also add to the argument about how much better F is than J on the 77W anyway, especially that front cabin of two rows of 1-2-1, the same as F.

Comment

Not that I am in the market to buy, but interesting comparison nonetheless!

Comment

Candidate 3:

Fly SIN-LHR on the not so new J on 77W/A380 and spend 240.000 miles

or

Fly SIN-BKK-LHR (TG) / SIN-FRA-LHR (LH) in First Class and get this for 180.000 miles.

Alternative:

I would book online and fly SIN-FRA on SQ's 747 in First Class for 140.250 miles and then book a cheap ticket in Y to get to London...

Comment

Candidate 4:

SIN-NRT can be in First Class (Award Saver) one-way for 44625 KF-miles on the 747.

You can also purchase an eligable Y fare and upgrade to Biz on the A380 for just 42.500 KF-miles.

Comment

Trying to book anything that would seem logical seems screwed to me at the moment.

We were planning a holiday in Aus for September next year and thought we would do F on the A380 both ways - on revenue tickets. Try as I might, I could not get all four sectors in F even though as part of other combinations they were available. No matter what I did, the website was forcing me to book at least one sector in C at a total return fare of around £13.5K.

I e-mailed some questions about this crazy situation then decided I wasn't waiting for a response and booked F both ways on the A380 with Emirates who along with Qantas also for the A380 were £4K cheaper.

I did let SQ know that their crazy system had just cost them £14K but I don't expect a reply.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrpete View Post
                  Trying to book anything that would seem logical seems screwed to me at the moment.

We were planning a holiday in Aus for September next year and thought we would do F on the A380 both ways - on revenue tickets. Try as I might, I could not get all four sectors in F even though as part of other combinations they were available. No matter what I did, the website was forcing me to book at least one sector in C at a total return fare of around £13.5K.

I e-mailed some questions about this crazy situation then decided I wasn't waiting for a response and booked F both ways on the A380 with Emirates who along with Qantas also for the A380 were £4K cheaper.

I did let SQ know that their crazy system had just cost them £14K but I don't expect a reply.
                  Call SQ in London, and ask to speak to the Sales manager ,and do let him know that. The email goes to India, and I doubt that you will be hearing anymore than a form letter.

Its the way SQ programmed their computers in married segments. While each sector is available, but once you try to book it, the illogical system determines what fare you are trying to do and offers you an alternative.

I wanted a similar ticket from HKG to JNB. What strange pricing SQ gave me in C was $200 less than a similar ticket on CX in F. All courtesy of SQ's high fuel surcharges! Guess who I'll be flying to South Africa on?

Comment

And there is more... I booked and paid via the SQ internet in August 09 to fly SYD/SIN Dec 09 and specifically chose a flight on the 773, because I felt that my value on the flight was better spent on newer aircraft. Guess what, I will be flying out next week and found that they have changed the aircraft to a 747 - the old aircraft.. and that's having paid a premium to fly on the 773's. One cannot know when they will change the services. There are now 4 flights out of SYD, and everyone is a different aircraft!!!!

Comment

Try booking it backwards

It is interesting to the book the fare in reverse and make a comparsion. Fares from UK to AUS are usually cheaper than AUS to UK on SIA. Not that it really helps when you live in AUS

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                        Call SQ in London, and ask to speak to the Sales manager ,and do let him know that. The email goes to India, and I doubt that you will be hearing anymore than a form letter.
                        Thanks. Time had it when I would have done this but now I can't be bothered. If they can't deliver what I want through their online booking service and others can then they lose out - hard fact of business life! I'm sure I'm not the only one they are missing out on and sooner or later it will begin to hit the bottom line when loads are lower than expected - come to think of it, they already are!

Comment

Working...
                        X