No announcement yet.

SQ Pilot Rosters - A340 and A330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good grief, I pop on for a minute as it's raining in the Bahamas and someone seems to have found a supplier who can get large spades to them in 3 days now instead of 5.

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
    I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. However, I wouldn't trade my record of prediction for anyone else's here.
    I suppose if you try and tell the world everything an airline will do next the law of averages says you'll get some right.

I have four sources at SQ (pilots and management)
    However, what I can't quite understand is how someone with 'four sources at SQ' can get so many (or should that be any) things wrong. My personal favourite remains the claim that gates at Changi close 20 minutes before departure.

Now, where's that Pina Colada....

Comment

CAAS do Allow Cross techcrew qualifications ie pilots being able to fly 2 types of aircraft wither within the "same family" as in like A330/A320/A340 and even 744 and T7 with some requirements/conditions. Its up to the individual airline to roster its pilots or if allow their pilots to be cross qualified.

Comment

Interesting thread, gentlemen. Don't forget that even if the airline and the aviation authority both allow cross-qualifications, there is still one more hurdle to overcome - the pilot union.

Pilot unions may demand that cross-qualified pilots be paid a lot more, and force the airline concerned to consider if it is more economical to maintain separate pools of pilots for the various aircraft types.

Comment

CAAS do Allow Cross techcrew qualifications ie pilots being able to fly 2 types of aircraft wither within the "same family" as in like A330/A320/A340 and even 744 and T7 with some requirements/conditions. Its up to the individual airline to roster its pilots or if allow their pilots to be cross qualified.
          I think you are mistaken with the fact that some pilots may have more than one type-rating, but they are not valid concurrently. Basically, they can have multiple type ratings but only one is valid at any given time.

Comment

altho there are advantages too for pilots cross qualifications on more than one type of aircraft - but some airlines do not see it as such. However unions can be an issue but usually is not as the understanding has been there that the pilots will be paid based on the higher aircraft type hence ie if a pilot who is qualified on the A330 and A320 - and if he flies the A320 - his base will be based on the A330. A few of the arilines that flies into Changi have pilots who are qualified on more than one aircraft type. This will allow the airline for more flexibllity in airline/type schedule; but on the other hand some airlines do not feel its necessary bec then it also involves additional costs and some pilots also will give up his cross qualifications. This is mainly bec then these pilots must have the required flight time on the different aircrafts to maintain their proficiency and to keep their licence and also they have to do their bi yearly and yearly SIM for the aircrafts types that they hold.

Comment

bobtheplaneguy: for pointing out the financial factor.

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
              altho there are advantages too for pilots cross qualifications on more than one type of aircraft - but some airlines do not see it as such. However unions can be an issue but usually is not as the understanding has been there that the pilots will be paid based on the higher aircraft type hence ie if a pilot who is qualified on the A330 and A320 - and if he flies the A320 - his base will be based on the A330. A few of the arilines that flies into Changi have pilots who are qualified on more than one aircraft type. This will allow the airline for more flexibllity in airline/type schedule; but on the other hand some airlines do not feel its necessary bec then it also involves additional costs and some pilots also will give up his cross qualifications. This is mainly bec then these pilots must have the required flight time on the different aircrafts to maintain their proficiency and to keep their licence and also they have to do their bi yearly and yearly SIM for the aircrafts types that they hold.
              I'm afraid the mass of run-on constructions have taxed my comprehension. Could you help me out?

To allow me to compare what you said with what boing and bobtheplaneguy brought up, it would help if you clarify which points you are making:

(1) CAAS does / does not allow [choose one option] SQ (the airline in this thread) to cross-qualify pilots to fly both the A340 and A330 concurrently

(2) If allowed by CAAS, SQ (the airline in this thread) does / does not [choose one option] choose to maintain separate pilot rosters at any one time for the A340 and A330

(3) SQ (the airline in this thread ) does / does not [choose one option] take into account the financial consideration created by differential pay grades for pilots

Thank you.

My terminology might be all mixed up, unfortunately. This old dog is learning all the time.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Greetings jjpb3 - yes CAAS allows for pilots who hold cross aircraft types' qualifications. It is up to the airline concerned ie SQ or any other airlines that decides whether it wants to do that. Presently SQ dont seem to to do that and stick to one aircraft type for its pilots and hence we do not see its A330 pilots flying the A340 and vice versa - likely bec SQ have only a small fleet of 5 A340s.

Comment

Pilots can maintain their currency by doing their takeoffs and landings in the simulator.

Capts need to do 1 takeoff and landing in 35 days while FOs need to do 3 takeoffs and landings in 90 days.

For the A345 crew, the FO usually has trouble maintaining his currency and therefore may need to go to the simulator once in a while. Also, they usually move fleet after a couple of years so that they can accumulate their sectors elsewhere for their command.

Comment

Working...
                  X