Advice on Jetlag - best time for Dep & Arr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Jetlag - best time for Dep & Arr

Was thinking how is the best way to minimise Jet Lag? First trip to UK in 30 years and we are flying Business on redemption Savers.

SYD to SING [B/Saver 777-300]. Prefer to swap planes ASAP and keep going.
    SING to AMS - [B/Saver 777-200ER]

ROME to SING [B/Saver 777-200ER]. Prefer to have some good sightseeing time in SING [hrs???] before leaving for Sydney
    SING - SYD [B/Saver 777-300].

Of course if B/Savers become available on A380 or 777-300ER we may try and swap flights in and out of AMS and ROME to other cities [LON and ZUR].

This post though is to ask best time to fly Syd to UK/Europe via Singapore and back - minimising Jet Lag as much as possible

Thanks for the advice
    SQ354

SYD to SIN- SQ222 (A380)
    transit in Singapore about 1.5 hours
    SIN to LHR- SQ322 (A380)

Either LHR to SIN- SQ 317 (A380)
    OR
    AMS to SIN- SQ 323 (B777-200ER)
    OR
    ZUR to SIN- SQ 345 (B777-300ER)

Above 3 flights to SIN all arrive in SIN early in the morning.

Stay 1 night in SIN to slowly adjust to Asia (SYD) timing, at the same time do some sightseeing.

SIN-SYD- 4 flights a day, depend which timing you prefer

Comment

We're All Different

Jetlag is very much a personal thing and we all respond differently. In my case I found when I was doing 6 RTW trips plus about 4 Europe trips a year from Asia the following:

1,Flying East to West is less of a problem. You'll be tired but not jetlagged.
      2.Flying East, I take a Melatonin tablet at the bedtime of the destination, which can be from before boarding to several hours into the flight depending on points of departure and destination. Melatonin doesn't suit everybody and there can be side effects so, although its available OTC in Singapore, in the UK its still Rx, possibly, therefore, in Australia also.b The Melatonin should be continued for 2-3 nights, at bedtime, after arrival.
      3,Flying East, I preferred a morning arrival. Spend time in the sun, even if just walking around for an hour or two. The sun helps to restore the body clock so pushing through an otherwise fairly normal day, including meetings after lunch, a light early dinner and an early night, I would be fine the next day. Doing it frequently also helps, you do get used to it.
      4. In all cases, get yourself onto the time zone of arrival immediately after getting ready for departure. Some would disagree with this on short trips but I always found it was best to get over it and get on with it, adjusting again on the next sector. An interesting exception would be that the F1 drivers coming in from Europe for the Singapore F1 race, and because that race is a night race (Afternoon Europe time) for maximum short-term concentration, and because they just have one objective, stay on CET for the race.
      5.More controversially, I take a half Dormicum (Midazolam) in both directions which gives me about 6 hours sleep and no hangover. Agin, this is an Rx medication and should be used accoingly.
      6. Alcohol really does make a difference ;-) Which, I'm sorry, in my case means a few glasses of Krug and Cos D'Estournelle with a meal before a turndown and my sleeping pill then my Sennheiser noise reduction phones with my iPod classical music menu. Thereafter, lots of water through the flight. Again, its a personal thing and many would say no alcohol at all, especially with hypnotic medications, so its not a recommendation, just an opinion.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by flymeroundthemoon; 27 September 2009, 04:55 PM.
      Round the Moon. And Back

Comment

I can hardly make myself stay awake when I need to and can hardly sleep on planes. So the best timing I've taken is to arrive at or around night / midnight. Like the UA flights to and from North America to Singapore, arrives around midnight, so I just sleep straight or soon. Going to North America, arrival in the morning, I'll need to stay awake until night time and most of the time, I fall asleep at like 5pm and wakes up between 11pm and 3am which spoils the whole body clock.

Comment

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3869

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3445
          HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
            From my experiences, those early afternoon European departures/early morning SIN arrival are terrible for jetlag. As your body is on European clock, you are nowhere ready for an extended sleep as soon as the flight begins and then by the time it is bed time on EU time, the flight is only about 3 hours prior to landing. Then after landing you'll have the full day in Singapore fighting all day to stay awake. In July, I did SQ345 ex-ZRH with a meeting the whole day in SIN after arrival then taking SQ285 to AKL later in the night. I had a hell of a time energy and strength wise that day in Singapore.
            My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Originally posted by feb01mel View Post
              SYD to SIN- SQ222 (A380)

I can reccomend the night flight leaving FRA around 10 (B777-300). Arrival in SIN is in the afternoon (around 4).

Comment

Originally posted by amsflyboy View Post
                I can reccomend the night flight leaving FRA around 10 (B777-300). Arrival in SIN is in the afternoon (around 4).
                Yeah did this one last week.. wasnt too bad.

Comment

Working...
                X