No announcement yet.

SQ Pilot - Father to 47 orphans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I saw it too, page B7 in the Home Section of yesterday's Straits Times. And with a very nice picture of him.
    Le jour de Saint Eugène, en traversant la Calle Mayor...

Comment

believed SQ should not have laid him off and even if it had to offer him to fly for another 3 yrs.

Comment

Did anyone know if the pilot managed to get his job back with SQ? Or did he managed to get another job somewhere else?

Comment

Well, let's vote for him here to be the CNN Hero of the Year! I have just posted this on SQTalk Community sub-forum:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8390

Comment

Salamat pagi (The limit of my Indonesian)
            SQtalkers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXtpEYXZmY

Here is the channel news Asia interview. What a champion. An article similar to this was broadcasted in Australia a few weeks ago. Note this interview was taken in Mid 2006, look at the price of gold back then 640USD an Ounce.

Michael

Comment

There was a Today news report about a week ago that stated that he was trying to renegotiate with SQ on his contract renewal and he that would be out of job in about 3 weeks time. SQ PR spokesman was also interviewed and he mentioned that with the current economic times, all foreign pilots contracts are not renewed and that they appreciate his community service blah, blah.
              The Capt was reported as actively sourcing for jobs and if need be, might downsize his orphanage if jobs can't be found.
              Hope he gets a new job even better than SQ soon.

Managed to find the link:
              http://www.todayonline.com/Print/Sin...-his-orphanage

I'm sure all our prayers in SQtalk are with him getting a new job soon. Kinda sad to see him in such a situation.
              Last edited by boing; 5 November 2009, 04:21 PM. Reason: Managed to find the link.

Comment

last heard is that SQ has started renewing expat contracts, and hopefully Capt Budi contract will be renewed.

Comment

Originally posted by b777jubilee View Post
                  last heard is that SQ has started renewing expat contracts, and hopefully Capt Budi contract will be renewed.
                  It looks like the load for the longhaul A345 flights has picked up again. So, hopefully Capt. Budi's contract will be renewed. I was on SQ 38 on Sunday and the load was 68%. I heard that SQ 37 from LAX back to SIN on Sunday was 80% plus and the load for this coming Friday will be 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by UMD View Post
                    It looks like the load for the longhaul A345 flights has picked up again. So, hopefully Capt. Budi's contract will be renewed. I was on SQ 38 on Sunday and the load was 68%. I heard that SQ 37 from LAX back to SIN on Sunday was 80% plus and the load for this coming Friday will be 100%.
                    I read from Today Newspaper that his contract has been renewed.

Comment

CNN hero flies again with SIA

CNN hero flies again with SIA

Posted: 17 November 2009

SINGAPORE: Barely a week ago, Captain Budi Soehardi was busy looking for a job with other airlines – the pilot's contract with Singapore Airlines was expiring on Nov 11, and it was not going to be renewed.

But SIA has thrown a lifeline to him – and to the 51 young lives that depend on him.

The Indonesian expatriate, 57, who was named last month as one of CNN's Top 10 Heroes of 2009, is one of an undisclosed number of captains who has gotten a contract extension.

Mr Budi was already moving house – it was the only way he would have been able to keep his West Timor orphanage afloat in the long term without a job.

About 80 per cent of the US$6,000 ($8,312) needed monthly to care for the orphanage's 48 children comes solely from the pocket of the father of three.

His redundancy was typical of cost-cutting measures in a recession – SIA had to "significantly reduce capacity" earlier this year, leading to "excess staff resources" and employees having to "make sacrifices through salary reductions", such as a shorter work month.

For cockpit crew, there were plans "not to extend the contracts of any of our captains employed under contract arrangements this financial year, and they were made aware of this".

However an SIA spokesperson said when contacted by MediaCorp, that "based on our latest operating plan, we're pleased to be able to offer contract extensions to some of our captains".

Air Line Pilots Association-Singapore president P James welcomed the news. "It's good that the company was willing to change their policy. At least, there's light at the end of the tunnel," he said.

While Mr Budi was not mentioned by name in SIA's reply, a fellow pilot who did not want to be named let on that a group of pilots had petitioned the company to consider his renewal.

"He's a valuable employee of the company – his suggestions and research for different airways to Europe saved the airline a million-plus dollars annually," said the colleague.

Mr Budi's contract has been renewed for another three years. MediaCorp understands that there were up to 1,000 signatories for the pilot who could end the year on another bright note if he is named CNN's Hero of 2009.

He could not be reached as he was travelling, but he wrote this about his "CNN classmates" on his blog on Friday: "We are not competing but we are partners to make the human race to be living as a normal human being."

Source: Channel Newsasia

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...018693/1/.html

Comment

finally SQ have come to its senses to rehire CPT Budi and esp in light of his personal endeavours to help the orphans and his orphange which have even caught the attention of CNN and other world news media. Now believed SQ will somehow "claim" some mileage for its CPT Budi's work.

Comment

Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                          finally SQ have come to its senses to rehire CPT Budi and esp in light of his personal endeavours to help the orphans and his orphange which have even caught the attention of CNN and other world news media. Now believed SQ will somehow "claim" some mileage for its CPT Budi's work.
                          SQ only did this because of the publicity this man is attaracting .. and that it will be bad for SQ if he did indeed lose his job.

But think of the countless others out there who have no voice, no publicity and being terminated by SQ just because....?

SQ in itself, should be ashamed of themselves..

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Betsy View Post
                            SQ only did this because of the publicity this man is attaracting .. and that it will be bad for SQ if he did indeed lose his job.

But think of the countless others out there who have no voice, no publicity and being terminated by SQ just because....?
                            Are you claiming that SQ arbitrarily terminates employment contracts without just cause or even when there are no changes in its business environment?
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                              Are you claiming that SQ arbitrarily terminates employment contracts without just cause or even when there are no changes in its business environment?
                              ABSOLUTELY !

These do not get headlined into newspapers!

Comment

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...ness-slowdown-

Budi Soehardi's Facebook
                                It has been a great experience to work for the best company in the Airline Industry , Singapore Airlines since July 1998 . Proud to have flown so many great planes owned the company and proud to have worn the uniform. Now it is coming to an end on Feb 27th 2013 ( all expatriate pilots must leave the company by June 2013) . It is so sad to say good bye to all and to so many great friends in SIA and related to my SIA work places . Thank you to SIA and to All friends which I have been working with . So much of great memories have been shared and treasured.
                                Because of my work in SIA we have been able to looked after 133 children under our care to date. All are healthy and schooling, Praise The Lord.

Good bye but Hello again as I will still be around in the airlines industry

Life is so good , just be in it

To my brothers and sisters in USA , sorry no more Budi coming twice a month to USA from now on. May be one day I will be there again.

Comment

Working...
                                X