Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aircraft Substitution - Does it happen often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aircraft Substitution - Does it happen often?

One of my greatest fears next month when I fly J for the first time with SQ is that I might get hit with the dreaded aircraft substitution. Last thing I would want is to have my 77W trip changed to a 773 or similar.

Does this happen often and is it usually last minute?

Rare. This is not smooth as silk we're talking about here

Comment

Personally, it's never happened to me on SQ. Qantas on the other hand...
      blog

Comment

When substitution does happen, it's always last-minute and usually the same aircraft type. However, SQ have no extra 777-300ERs so if one goes tech, they will have to substitute a different type.

Comment

Well it depends on the sector. For example if it's for an India or China run, then if your 77W goes tech, then I could imagine a 773 being substituted.

If it's a longhaul to Europe or N.A., then I don't see a 773 being used. However, as zvezda has pointed out that there aren't extra 77Ws, so those sectors could conceivably end up with a 744...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            If it's a longhaul to Europe or N.A., then I don't see a 773 being used. However, as zvezda has pointed out that there aren't extra 77Ws, so those sectors could conceivably end up with a 744...
            I could imagine that if a 777-300ER bound for Europe or North America were to go tech, SQ might substitute a JumboJet. I believe SQ have enough spare JumboJets at hand but, if not, they could conceivably pull one planned for OZ and substitute a 777-300. Trickle-down substitutions are extremely rare -- except for multi-hub US carriers when weather creates major systemwide disruptions -- and I don't know whether or not SQ ever do that.

Comment

At one time last year SQ used to sub 77Ws for 773s or 772s (SQ862 being one common route) but now they have enough aircraft so I haven't heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                I could imagine that if a 777-300ER bound for Europe or North America were to go tech, SQ might substitute a JumboJet. I believe SQ have enough spare JumboJets at hand but, if not, they could conceivably pull one planned for OZ and substitute a 777-300. Trickle-down substitutions are extremely rare -- except for multi-hub US carriers when weather creates major systemwide disruptions -- and I don't know whether or not SQ ever do that.
                Plentiful.

With SPE in new livery and back in service, there are 10 active 744s.

Comment

Happened to me once. Booked J class a B777-300ER and last minute got changed to a B777-300 instead. So instead of a standalone new business class seat, I got a normal old J class seat.

But I think this is not too often. You can check the aircraft type on Krisflyer website when viewing your bookings.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                    Well it depends on the sector. For example if it's for an India or China run, then if your 77W goes tech, then I could imagine a 773 being substituted.

This happened to me 2 months ago when SQ substituted 773 for a 77W for DEL - SIN. Having flown SQ so frequently and for such a long time, that was my one and only equipment swab experience on SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
                      At one time last year SQ used to sub 77Ws for 773s or 772s (SQ862 being one common route) but now they have enough aircraft so I haven't heard of it.
                      I do believe this was the time where the bird was pull to PEK for the BIG FIVE O last year

Comment

Not on Singapore Airlines that I am aware of.

Not sure what they do within Asia but I can tell you in Australia if flying out of Perth,Adelaide or Brisbane what could they subsitute a A330 for nothing really a 744 Jumbo is too large for them and a 77W OR 773 much the same.only other thing would a 772 ER

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                          Plentiful.

With SPE in new livery and back in service, there are 10 active 744s.
                          what new livery is SPE in?

Comment

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
                            I can tell you in Australia if flying out of Perth,Adelaide or Brisbane what could they subsitute a A330 for nothing really a 744 Jumbo is too large for them and a 77W OR 773 much the same.only other thing would a 772 ER
                            I believe A330-300 utilization is high now. It should be, as these have the lowest trip cost of all aircraft in SQ's fleet. If one goes tech, the 777-200 is the obvious substitute and these are currently not so heavily utilized because both the CASM and the trip costs are higher than for the A330-300, which the RASM is lower (due to the 777's larger size and older seats, IFE, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                              I've never seen a 744 subbed for a 77W. If one of the long-haul 77Ws goes tech, the flight simply waits for the next available frame -- sometimes 4 or 5 hours. I suspect crewing, loads, catering -- all that -- plays into the decisions.

I've also never seen anything -- ever -- subbed for a 744, except another 744.

Comment

Working...
                              X