Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to get good views of SF on arrival/departure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to get good views of SF on arrival/departure?

For SQ flights to/from SFO (via ICN), is it possible to get a good view of the city (esp Bay Area/Bridge) prior to landing or immediately after takeoff at SFO?

If so, would anyone know which side of the aircraft is best at this time of the year for such viewing, for both arrival and departure?

Reason I'm asking is I'm looking to take some pics of the city and Bay area from the air.

Arrivals are a bit of a crapshoot. There are two approaches in summer: one from the northwest, over Marin County, then either to the west of the city, and around to the left to land, or directly over the city, and around to the right to land. The other is off the Pacific, from the west-northwest, and around to the left to land. (Virtually all all summer landings are to the west on Runways 28L or 28R). The only way you'll get to see the city beneath you is if the approach is from the northwest -- if it is, sit on the left.

Departures are usually to the west, off 28R -- it's the longest runway at SFO.

It's a better bet, statistically. Sit on the right -- the city, and its bridges, will be off to your right, below and a bit ahead of you. At 1430 - 1500 hours, the fog will likely have cleared, and the west sun will light the west side of all the skyscrapers.

Comment

Thanks a bunch! That was a fantastically detailed reply. Much appreciated.

I will be in 17A for arrival but now wondering whether to take 12D/F in the smaller J cabin since it's a roll of the dice for a decent view on arrival.

But I definitely am loathed to give up my 11A for departure. 17K and 18K are the only seats more or less forward of the wing which are currently available. I would hold on to my 11A and hope that 17K or 18K are still available when doors close and then jump on to one of them just for the departure. The more rear K seats in the cabin are possible if the wing does not block the view much.

Hmm. Just got reminded that 18K has a missing window. Ah well, can't always have perfect textbook solutions in life.

Comment

I also believe the sides to view the city are covered in SQ LPP's AWESOME thread:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3582
        HUGE AL

Comment

Excellent pics! LPP's flight was in winter so it was mighty good of Bitterroot to confirm the likely summer landing/take off paths/angles.

Comment

Working...
          X