Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any plans known for last SQ 744 flight ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any plans known for last SQ 744 flight ?

Over the years SQ have taken me all over the world on their 744s. It'll be sad to see them go although we can't live in the past. I'd still like to say goodbye and wondered if anyone knew which route is likely to be the last served by them? Or even an idea of when (nearest month) the last flight is likely to be?

The remaining routes are SIN-SYD, SIN-NRT-LAX, and SIN-FRA-JFK. SIN-NRT-LAX is screaming desperately for 777-300ER service, so I doubt it will be the last one. We've seen much evidence this year and last of SQ sending their newest aircraft to OZ, so I doubt SYD would be last. SIN-FRA-JFK makes sense to be last because the utilization is due to spending all day on the ground at JFK. Also, the LH F/J products are not very strong and SQ's old JumboJets still compete well against LH.

Comment

I am booked on one of the last SYD-SIN in First - flying on 03OCT09 ...SYD's last flight is on 05OCT09 I think...

I sure am going to miss the SkySuites - for me they are still the best - hands down better than the new F or R.

Comment

I am making a FRA NYC on the 2nd October. I am glad to be using the last SIA B744 on the fleet. I rather prefer it to the B777.

Comment

I've just got off SQ219 in F.
          I think that may have been my last time in the SkySuite, as my trip to LAX looks wobbly.
          F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

I'll miss the upper deck. Fond memories...

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
              The remaining routes are SIN-SYD, SIN-NRT-LAX, and SIN-FRA-JFK. SIN-NRT-LAX is screaming desperately for 777-300ER service, so I doubt it will be the last one.....
              But where will SQ get 77Ws to replace 744s? The new 773As seem to replace existing 773 services. There is still no spare 77Ws. Will SQ be forced to postpone retirement of 744s?

Comment

That's a a very good question!
                Perhaps new 380 will take up 77W from exisitng route eg ZRH ?

Comment

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                  very doubtful...

Comment

deleted
                    Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SkySuites View Post
                      I sure am going to miss the SkySuites - for me they are still the best - hands down better than the new F or R.
                      I would take R any day.

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                      But where will SQ get 77Ws to replace 744s? The new 773As seem to replace existing 773 services.
                      I think we'll have to wait and see about that.

Originally posted by maxmin View Post
                      Very unlikely.

Comment

As I mentioned in my "Farewell LHR 744" trip report, (for me personally) the SQ 744 and the SkySuite represents the peak of SQ's quality and image, before all the bean counting, enhancements and obsession with size took hold.

I wish they would publicise the final 744 flight so that people that want to, can make the arrangements to fly that flight.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                          I wish they would publicise the final 744 flight so that people that want to, can make the arrangements to fly that flight.
                          I don't think they're quite 100% sure when this will happen themselves

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm going to do a FRA SIN.

My first ever flight on SQ was LHR SIN SYD in whY. Oh God when I think of travelling whY now, the shame the shame of admitting I ever did it. And yet, back in those days I was so excited to be in whY. They even came round with champagne as a pre takeoff drink. It was served in these plastic flutes and I even managed to get two. 34" of legroom and seatback TV. Gosh the luxury.

And then my first ever Raffles class was a 744 LHR SIN. I discovered sidebins on the upper deck and had my first ever SQ satay. An almost flat bed was simply amazing. Not a single complaint then about it beign at an angle.

Then came the skysuites. I had never dreamed that I would ever get near one of those in my whY days. My first taste of Krug and Dom was on SQ.

So you see SQ and its 744 revolutionised my life. I won't be on SQ's last ever 744 flight but I want to do it one more time. The first song I ever listend to onboard was Men Without Hats, Safety Dance. I'm going to download it to mu iPod and play it as I board and let the memories of many years travel on SQ flood over me.

Comment

Originally posted by VC10 Boy View Post
                              Thanks everyone. I'm going to do a FRA SIN.

My first ever flight on SQ was LHR SIN SYD in whY. Oh God when I think of travelling whY now, the shame the shame of admitting I ever did it. And yet, back in those days I was so excited to be in whY. They even came round with champagne as a pre takeoff drink. It was served in these plastic flutes and I even managed to get two. 34" of legroom and seatback TV. Gosh the luxury.

And then my first ever Raffles class was a 744 LHR SIN. I discovered sidebins on the upper deck and had my first ever SQ satay. An almost flat bed was simply amazing. Not a single complaint then about it beign at an angle.

Then came the skysuites. I had never dreamed that I would ever get near one of those in my whY days. My first taste of Krug and Dom was on SQ.

So you see SQ and its 744 revolutionised my life. I won't be on SQ's last ever 744 flight but I want to do it one more time. The first song I ever listend to onboard was Men Without Hats, Safety Dance. I'm going to download it to mu iPod and play it as I board and let the memories of many years travel on SQ flood over me.
                              Thanks for the nostalgic memories.
                              Brings a tear to my eye.
                              Have a great last 744 F flight.
                              F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X