How early can I check a bag at SIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How early can I check a bag at SIN?

I would ideally like to check my bag in at 2pm or so the day before--my flight is at 8am the next day? If it matters, I'm travelling in F.

What are the chances they will let me do this at changi?

I should probably mention that I'm leaving at 4pm and doing a turn overnight, returning back to SIN the next morning. I have a quick connection, so I'd prefer to get mt bag checked in the day before rather than leave it at left luggage.

48 hours early check in.

Comment

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
      48 hours early check in.
      You can actually check a bag that early?

Comment

Yes - but they won't load it until the plane arrives.

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...y_checkin.html
        http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...p??v=81268097&

Comment

Originally posted by bmchris View Post
          Yes - but they won't load it until the plane arrives.
          Ha!
          I guess the final question I have is, if my ticket is XXX-SIN-YYY can I still check bags in at SIN before taking the XXX-SIN?

Comment

Originally posted by qasr View Post
            I guess the final question I have is, if my ticket is XXX-SIN-YYY can I still check bags in at SIN before taking the XXX-SIN?
            Is your XXX-SIN an SQ flight? And if the answer is yes than how long is your layover in SIN between XXX and YYY?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
              Is your XXX-SIN an SQ flight? And if the answer is yes than how long is your layover in SIN between XXX and YYY?
              Yes, a SQ flight. The layover is 55 mins, which is why I'd much prefer to check in early rather than try to run out to left luggage and check it in and get back to the gate in such a short amount of time.

Comment

Okay am a bit intrigued with the baggage system, could someone explains how it works operationally ?

1. If I check in a bag very early, it goes to storage. When it is time for loading, how does the bag appear at the relevant loading bay ? Does someone have to go to the storage room and retrieve it manually ?

2. More basic questionassengers can check in at almost any counter at Changi. How does the bag get routed to the aircraft loading bay ? Is it fully automatic ? Any mannual intervention needed ?

Comment

Yes, a SQ flight. The layover is 55 mins, which is why I'd much prefer to check in early rather than try to run out to left luggage and check it in and get back to the gate in such a short amount of time.
                  I have always traveled using carryon even on a 2+ week roadtrip hence wouldnt know the correct answer to your question. I think your segments looks something like this:-

UUU-SIN-XXX-SIN-YYY and you want to check your bags in SIN to YYY once you arrive from UUU, correct?

I am sure some of the more seasoned SQ travelers are able to provide feedback.

cheers.

Comment

Ha!

Yes. I've done this a couple of years ago. Checked in my bag for SIN-FRA 48 hours before and then flew SIN-DEL (1 night stopover) and DEL-xSIN-FRA on separate tickets.

Comment

Recently I did SIN-MLE-SIN-LHR, I checked the luggages to LHR before boarding the SIN-MLE flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                        I think your segments looks something like this:-

UUU-SIN-XXX-SIN-YYY and you want to check your bags in SIN to YYY once you arrive from UUU, correct?
                        Yes, basically. But the UUU-SIN is not really relevant, I'll have been in SIN for a while so I am essentially starting there for the purposes of this discussion.
                        Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
                        Yes. I've done this a couple of years ago. Checked in my bag for SIN-FRA 48 hours before and then flew SIN-DEL (1 night stopover) and DEL-xSIN-FRA on separate tickets.
                        Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                        Recently I did SIN-MLE-SIN-LHR, I checked the luggages to LHR before boarding the SIN-MLE flight.
                        That is exactly what I wanted to do--excellent news! Thanks Savage25 & SuperJonJon

Comment

Hi,

related question (sorry may be slightly OT but reluctant to spawn a new thread) - I am flying LHR-SIN-SYD. I will be stopping over at SIN for 3 hours. I was intending to pack 2 pieces of luggage, and am wondering if I am able to request that one piece is to be tagged only to Singapore, and the second piece to SYD.

Has anyone done this before? All flights are on SQ and on the same ticket.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                            Hi,

related question (sorry may be slightly OT but reluctant to spawn a new thread) - I am flying LHR-SIN-SYD. I will be stopping over at SIN for 3 hours. I was intending to pack 2 pieces of luggage, and am wondering if I am able to request that one piece is to be tagged only to Singapore, and the second piece to SYD.

Has anyone done this before? All flights are on SQ and on the same ticket.
                            Yes, it is possible. I did it before and told the agent that I had a gift in one of the luggages which needs to be taken out at my stopover point.

Comment

Thanks SJJ!

Comment

Working...
                              X