Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is one hour connection time SQ > SQ at Changi enough??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    You're saying the 'gate' closes 10 minutes before departure, but the 'gate security' closes 20 minutes before ?. Brilliant.
    It's a ten minute margin to ensure everyone has time to clear security. It's quite sensible.

If the gate is still open but security is closed, how on earth are people supposed to get on board ?!.
    They are supposed to get to the security checkpoint 20 minutes before departure.

In hundreds of trips through Changi, I have never heard of any '20 minute' gate closure policy, maybe due to the fact there isn't one, and saying there is is incorrect and misleading.
    I made it through most of my life without hearing about the theory of loop quantum gravity. That doesn't make it a "fact" that the theory doesn't exist. It does.

That's all I have to say on this subject. Please feel free to have the last word.

Comment

Sincere thanks to everyone that has replied so far. On balance, I think I will take my chances and go for the one hour connection option. The main reason for this is that my meeting starts at the very uncivilised time of 7.30AM the next day, hence, the earlier I get into my hotel the better so I can maximise sleep time. If I miss this connection, it seems highly probable that I will be put on the next available flight anyway.

Oh yes, regarding the 10 minutes versus 20 minutes be at the gate issue, I will do my very best to ensure I will be at the gate 15 minutes beforehand (just to be diplomatic!!).

Many thanks again everyone. Have a great day!

rodw

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        That's all I have to say on this subject. Please feel free to have the last word.
        If you've stopped digging, that will do for me.

Comment

I've done 1 hr connection SQ220 - MI226 several times and it's plenty of time to spare for 1 hr, and never had a problem with my baggage (well, i'm flying in F/J most of the time, but i don't think the priority tag would matter when transferring the baggage, isn't it?).

SQ220 sometimes arrived on T2 which give more time to walk slowly and look arround for duty free items

Comment

Originally posted by rodw View Post
            Hi everyone,

I'm hoping the vast pool of expertise and experience of SQTalk members will be able to point me in the right direction regarding what to do with the following proposed itinerary....

I will soon be taking SQ232 SYD/SIN then connecting with SQ966 SIN/CGK, all in J class. SQ232 arrives SIN at 5.45PM and SQ966 departs at 6.45PM; that is, only one hour later. I queried this short connection time with my travel agent at work and she assured me that I am "guaranteed" that SQ966 won't depart without me (and other SQ232 connecting passengers) on board because SQ232 and SQ966 are planned together as a way to get passengers to CGK from SYD with SQ. Does this sound right? What are the chances that my luggage will not make it across to SQ966 on time? The SQ website allows for these flights to be booked together. An option is that I could catch SQ968 that departs at 9.20PM, meaning a 3.5 hour connection time.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks....and

rodw

If your flight arrives into SIN on time (very rare they don't, in my experience unless something major happens at your departure destination you will arrive on time if not early.) 1 hour is plenty of time for transferring.

There will be connection gate details of your flight on the screens onboard your arriving flight. Changi is very well set up and you will see staff holding connection information after you disembark from your arriving flight, they will direct you to where and what train to catch if you need to.

No need to stress, the whole procedure is very simple.

SQ238.

Comment

I have done it before SQ KUL TO SIN CONNECTING SQ SIN TO ADL with a one hour connection and while it can be done the question is will your luggage make the same connection as you are on or will it get lost and come home a long way round.

Comment

I spot SQ232 often and this flight is often early into SIN, sometimes up to 45min early.

Comment

Originally posted by SQADL333 View Post
                  I have done it before SQ KUL TO SIN CONNECTING SQ SIN TO ADL with a one hour connection and while it can be done the question is will your luggage make the same connection as you are on or will it get lost and come home a long way round.
                  The luggage will easily make it. This is Changi we are talking about, one of the few places in the world where your luggage beats you to the belt. The luggage will be at the aircraft before the OP.

Comment

The luggage will easily make it. This is Changi we are talking about, one of the few places in the world where your luggage beats you to the belt. The luggage will be at the aircraft before the OP.
                    Agree with you.
                    Except there was one occasion, just the one, in I think Aug last year, that my luggage did not make it.
                    I was going KUL-SIN-SYD, with a 3 hour transit. When I arrived in Syd at 10am, was told that the luggage handling system went down for 3 hours in T3, and as a result my suitcase (and quite a few other pax, including J and F) did not get loaded.
                    Unfortunately, I did not get my suitcase till that night at about 10pm.
                    I assume it had come in on SQ219. It was delivered to me by a very very dodgy/shady courier in a beat up panel van. And my suitcase looked like it had been very roughly handled. Perhaps I should have sent feedback to SQ at the time.
                    I stress that in all the years of travelling via SIN, this was the first and only time it's happened.
                    F all the way. Settle for J. Usually whY. Sigh.

Comment

Thanks again everyone for your insights and advice. I am only going to Jakarta for 3 nights so there is a possibility I can pack everything into my carry on bag, thus eliminating the risk of not having my checked-in bag transferred in time - which sounds highly unlikely anyway - and saving time at the airport.

By the way, I'm coming back on the SQ A380 which I am excited about. Last month I experienced the QF A380 SYD/LHR/SYD in J and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I will endeavour to post a comparison of both flights when I get back so I can give something back to the excellent contributors to this community. Heads-up: the QF A380 J seats are excellent as is the inflight entertainment, and the inflight service is much improved, but the Neil Perry inspired menu and totally Australian wine selection needs a serious rethink (and yes, I am an Australian).

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by BOSqq View Post
                        It is certainly possible. I transferred from SQ 1 SFO-HKG-SIN that arrives at 11.50 to SQ 958 that departs at 12.40 last March. If you do miss your flight to CGK, SQ will automatically move you to the next available flight. However, if you are traveling in J, I would prefer to wait for SQ 968 and relax for a while at the lounge...
                        There is a difference. There is no plane change for SQ1/2 at HKG.

Having said that, it is much better to have a relaxing break at one of the nicest lounges ever, so I would pick SQ968 as suggested by BOSqq.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                          Again, the gate closes 10 minutes before departure. The security checkpoint closes 20 minutes before departure.

I've been told this many times over the years both in the SKL and at the gate when I arrived about 15 minutes before departure.
                          I haven't flown SQ lately but for a while I was flying it very frequently and always arrived at gate about 10-15 minutes before departure (or less when inbound was running late). Never a problem.

It's been a while but I think SKL staff used to suggest leaving the lounge 20 minutes before departure. I can't recall anyone saying be at the gate security 20 minutes before departure.

Comment

Originally posted by rodw View Post
                            Thanks again everyone for your insights and advice. I am only going to Jakarta for 3 nights so there is a possibility I can pack everything into my carry on bag, thus eliminating the risk of not having my checked-in bag transferred in time - which sounds highly unlikely anyway - and saving time at the airport.

By the way, I'm coming back on the SQ A380 which I am excited about. Last month I experienced the QF A380 SYD/LHR/SYD in J and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I will endeavour to post a comparison of both flights when I get back so I can give something back to the excellent contributors to this community. Heads-up: the QF A380 J seats are excellent as is the inflight entertainment, and the inflight service is much improved, but the Neil Perry inspired menu and totally Australian wine selection needs a serious rethink (and yes, I am an Australian).

Cheers.
                            Your carry-on may slow down your dash across Changi thou!

On a more serious note, looking forward to your TRs! Enjoy your flight!
                            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                              I haven't flown SQ lately but for a while I was flying it very frequently and always arrived at gate about 10-15 minutes before departure (or less when inbound was running late). Never a problem.

It's been a while but I think SKL staff used to suggest leaving the lounge 20 minutes before departure. I can't recall anyone saying be at the gate security 20 minutes before departure.
                              That's because they have never closed security 20 minutes before. In case I had been alseep during the dozens and dozens of times I've been through Changi I asked twice this week at security whether they ever closed more than 10 minutes before departure time, and they said never.

Of course SKL staff will always encourage you to get there early. As we all know, Gate Closing is flashing on screens ages before it does.

Comment

Hi everyone,

I thought I should let you know that unfortunately I will not be able to provide the comparison between QF and SQ A380 J class as suggested in post 25 of this thread. In their infinite wisdom, my "superiors" at work decided to cancel my trip at the last minute, despite me having already received security briefings, obtaining visas and making flight bookings and hotel reservations.

Sorry about that guys.

I hope to fly again and provide a trip report once this global recession turns into a global recovery.

Cheers,

rodw

Comment

Working...
                                X