Self Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Upgrade

I was in F on SQ910 (SIN-MNL) this morning and there was one guy who, as soon as boarding was announced in the departure lounge, stormed straight ahead of everyone who was waiting and just parked himself in seat 1F. I was in 2E and thought nothing of it.

The crew were trying to work out why there was an extra passenger and It was only until just before doors closed that one of the ground staff came up to him and told him to Foxtrot Oscar back to the class he should be in. He then had to do the 'walk of shame' through the cabin back to J or Y!

I have seen this happen a couple of times on European airlines (e.g. BA - there is an entire thread devoted to his topic on FT) but have never seen it on SQ!

Anyone had any (amusing) experiences?

J

Wow, never once have I experienced this on any of my SQ F flights. What was he thinking???? Were you able to find out from the crew on why he chose to sit on F - was it a honest mistake (i.e. him assuming he was sitted in J and thought it was a 2 config aircraft and that he was sitted on the first row of business class) or was he just simply dumb and trying to get away being in F? \

If he was a Y pax, I would fail to understand why one would try and do that.

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
      Wow, never once have I experienced this on any of my SQ F flights. What was he thinking???? Were you able to find out from the crew on why he chose to sit on F - was it a honest mistake (i.e. him assuming he was sitted in J and thought it was a 2 config aircraft and that he was sitted on the first row of business class) or was he just simply dumb and trying to get away being in F? \

If he was a Y pax, I would fail to understand why one would try and do that.

cheers.
      No, i did think of asking the crew but for whatever reason i just didn't. I allways like to have a bit of banter with the crew but To be honest they were fairly average on that flight and not really up for engaging in conversation (neither would i if i had to work on a sunday morning!)

Didnt go back to look at where he was sat, but come to think of it the SIN-MNL route only has one 3 class 777-300 operating now, with the other two operating a 2 class 777-200 so i guess it could have been an honest mistake. Who knows???

J

Comment

I saw this happen once in J flying from DEL-SIN. Totally full flight in all classes.

Local chap comes down the aisle and seats himself across the aisle from me. Methodically stows his baggage in the overhead compartment, takes off his shoes, and settles in for the red-eye, accepting a paper and orange juice from the crew.

5 mins later another gentleman arrives at the same seat... A quick cross-check of boarding passes with a crew member, and it's clear that someone has a GREEN boarding pass, and it's not the latter person...

Comment

I've seen people upgrading themselves after take-off a few times. All were on flights to/from China.

Comment

I have see this farly frequently over the years. Have to say I have never seen anyone get away with it.

Comment

Happened once SIN-BKK. A Japanese businessman sat in 1F having misread his 11F boarding pass.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                Happened once SIN-BKK. A Japanese businessman sat in 1F having misread his 11F boarding pass.

He must have been very impressed on the 1F seat for the few minutes he was able to spend on it. Did he recline the seat all the way and have a quick nap before he moved to 11F?

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
                  He must have been very impressed on the 1F seat for the few minutes he was able to spend on it. Did he recline the seat all the way and have a quick nap before he moved to 11F?
                  Nope. Flight was 100% full and the genuine 1F pax finally showed up, making it 13 pax for the 12 seats in F.
                  To his defense, the regional F seats at 60" pitch could pass as J seats.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                    To his defense, the regional F seats at 60" pitch could pass as J seats.
                    He probably looked at the J seats and assumed they were the Premium Economy seats

Comment

Incredible really how people have the nerve to try and pull such stunts.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
                        He probably looked at the J seats and assumed they were the Premium Economy seats
                        nice

Comment

I've seen a self downgrade before - a colleague of mine (god bless him) and me were going SIN-MEL, and I'd booked him 17C on the 744 next to me.

Would have been the 2nd time he'd flown (the first being the KUL-SIN we took earlier in the day). Somehow I got split up from him because he wanted to buy duty free, so I said I'd meet him on the plane. We're about to pushback and still no sign of him. Apparently - he didn't take the LSS's instructions at door 1L to go "upstairs, sir" very seriously because he didn't think there was an "upstairs" so apparently he plonked himself down in row 40-something and sat there till of course the real occupant showed up and got forcibly ejected.

Comment

So are there carriers out there on which these "self-ups" actually work??? I'd like to know...

Comment

I think there are certain airlines in India were passengers can just walk on up to J class after take off if the seats are empty. I dont think it is officially allowed, probably more of a case that no one can be bothered to enforce the rules.

Personally, i wouldnt do it, even if there was a chance to get away with it. If i am that desperate to fly J or F, i just pay for it (or use miles!). I really hate it when you see people demanding an op up just because they have dressed smartly etc etc. If it is that important they should just pay!

Comment

Working...
                              X