SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ217 View Post
    99 aircraft is almost the entire current fleet. They have had around 30 new aircraft in the last 2.5 years, just about finished refurbishing the 77W fleet and are about to start on the A380 fleet. I can't see any of those been withdrawn from service in the next 4 year, maybe they'll retire a few of the A380 instead of refit but we could be looking at a fleet size of 150+ in 4 years time.
    That is excluding SilkAir's B737 Max8 fleet which would all be transferred to SQ from 2020.
    My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

• Originally posted by 9V-SKU View Post
      And let’s also remember that there’s absolutely nothing wrong with a slightly older fleet as long as it’s well maintained.
      I know, I remember NW used to have 20+ old aircraft.

the issue is the cabin is very dated. Look at the IFE in 772 economy. Also the seat is inconvenience. I always accidentally press the recline button.
      visit my blog

Comment

• seems like way too much capacity for limited growth.

i suspect the 77Ws may not all last for very long more...give another 2-3 years we'll probably be talking about 77Ws leaving the fleet. by 2020 SWA-SWG will be 14 years old. that's almost as old as the 772s are now.

given that the 77Ws have less cycles and more value in the airframe, it may make sense to sell them off before they get too old. not too sure what the 2nd hand market is like though.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
          seems like way too much capacity for limited growth.
          Just a theory maybe they plan of on really targeting the secondary destination market that silk air are currently serving and selling off the MI 737's.
          Last edited by SQ217; 25 July 2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Just a theory maybe they plan of on really targeting the secondary destination market that silk air are currently serving and selling off the MI 737's.
            I don't know about the feasibility of doing so. I've been flying MI to some secondary destinations in China recently (think WUH, CSX, etc). I had the business class to myself quite too often, suggesting that these markets may be better served by TR. In fact, in China, other than PEK, PVG and maybe just one flight to CAN, there is no real market for mainline SQ. Maybe they can leave the narrowbody MI/SQ aircraft on flights to CTU, SZX and XMN but pretty much everything else should move to TR.

Comment

3 of 77Ws and 4 of the A380s (beyond the 5 that were de-leased) are leased, so in theory can be returned when their leases expire.

Comment

i suspect the 77Ws may not all last for very long more...give another 2-3 years we'll probably be talking about 77Ws leaving the fleet. by 2020 SWA-SWG will be 14 years old. that's almost as old as the 772s are now.

given that the 77Ws have less cycles and more value in the airframe, it may make sense to sell them off before they get too old. not too sure what the 2nd hand market is like though.
                On the contrary, believed the 77Ws will be flying for much longer period of time as there's no other similiar substitute for it now until the 77X comes along and there's just not enough 77Ws now. And there's 772s in their 15th and 16th year and is still flying.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyguy View Post
                  On the contrary, believed the 77Ws will be flying for much longer period of time as there's no other similiar substitute for it now until the 77X comes along and there's just not enough 77Ws now.
                  The A350-900 has a similar number of seats. Just 11 seats difference.

A350

J = 42
                  PEY = 24
                  Y = 187
                  Total = 253

77W

J = 49
                  PEY = 28
                  Y = 184
                  Total = 264

Although the 77W does have F they only have 4 seats SQ has been reducing the F count for many years. Besides aircraft replacements never have an identical seat count.

The 77X is a much bigger aircraft than the 77W. Its more likely the 77X will replace the A380s.

As well as this the 77X order isn't a firm order so I am not sure if those figures above include this.
                  Last edited by FN-GM; 26 July 2018, 12:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
                    The A350-900 has a similar number of seats. Just 11 seats difference.

A350

J = 42
                    PEY = 24
                    Y = 187
                    Total = 253

77W

J = 49
                    PEY = 28
                    Y = 184
                    Total = 264

Although the 77W does have F they only have 4 seats SQ has been reducing the F count for many years. Besides aircraft replacements never have an identical seat count.

The 77X is a much bigger aircraft than the 77W. Its more likely the 77X will replace the A380s.

As well as this the 77X order isn't a firm order so I am not sure if those figures above include this.
                    I tend to agree, purely because we saw the first batch of A350s primarily replace the 77W on European routes, instead of the 772ER as had been previously expected.

Comment

That order was finalised late last year.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2017-10-...r-39-Airplanes

It does included the 779 aircraft, if you register for the article you can see a break down of the estimated deliveries:

2018 - 9 x A350; 9 x B78J
                      2019 - 3 x A350; 16 x B78J
                      2020 - 11 x B779; 18 x B78J
                      2021 - 10 x A350; 9 x B779

Not sure if its financial or calendar year. They a missed one A380 due to arrive shortly. As the B779 is still in development it will probably be delayed as well with testing and production issues.
                      Last edited by SQ217; 26 July 2018, 06:32 AM.

Comment

That order was finalised late last year.

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2017-10-...r-39-Airplanes

It does included the 779 aircraft, if you register for the article you can see a break down of the estimated deliveries:

2018 - 9 x A350; 9 x B78J
                        2019 - 3 x A350; 16 x B78J
                        2020 - 11 x B779; 18 x B78J
                        2021 - 10 x A350; 9 x B779

Not sure if its financial or calendar year. They a missed one A380 due to arrive shortly. As the B779 is still in development it will probably be delayed as well with testing and production issues.
                        Based on these figures, taking into account the 7 A350 ULRs arriving shortly, the A350 regional would be a very small subfleet until 2021. Something about that doesn't quite add up.

Comment

But then SQ is planning to refit all remaining A380s with the new interiors. Who knows when that will start and end. If the 777-9 is indeed replacing the A380, that means the refitted aircraft will only operate a few years which does not seem like a sound economic decision. Furthermore, will there be a second-hand market for all of SQ's A380s? SQ may choose to continue operating them.

One solution is that SQ will operate the 777-9 alongside the A380, utilizing the 777-9 more as a high-capacity people-mover and configure it with Business, Premium Economy and Economy (likely 10-abreast) for high traffic routes that may not command the yield and demand for a First/Suites product.

Or maybe I'm just being overly optimistic about the A380 and that it will still have a place for a couple of years more with airline that was the first to fly the double-decker aircraft commercially.

Comment

• The 779 will have to replace some of the 77W planes in near future as the 77W will be 15years old when the 779s comes into the fleet. The 779s will not be replacing the A380s initially as Jumbojet Lover has said that the remaining 14 older A380s will be going in for major refitting oly last quarter of this year and with the total refit should be flying for the next 5 years at the minimum, but given the lack of secondary A380s used narket, it will likely be that SIA will use them for a much longer time.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                              Based on these figures, taking into account the 7 A350 ULRs arriving shortly, the A350 regional would be a very small subfleet until 2021. Something about that doesn't quite add up.
                              Yes and based on this https://sites.google.com/site/a350xw...roduction-list

they should receive around 18 A350's over the next 18months.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
                                According to the Flight Global article, the delivery schedule is:

2018 - 11x A359; 6x 78J
                                2019 - 9x A359; 9x 78J
                                2020 - 3x A359; 16 78J
                                2021 - 18x 78J; 11 779
                                2022 - 10x A359; 9 779

So we should expect the first three A35Rs this year, and a fleet of 15 by the end of 2020 (assuming these are calendar years). The gap in A350 deliveries in 2021 is interesting. Perhaps SQ is leaving open the option to upgrade the last 10 to A35Ks as 77W replacements? It just seems to me there are way too many regionally configured planes coming in, even after accounting for fleet renewal.

Comment

Working...
                                X