No announcement yet.

SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all! I've been a silent SQTalk reader over the years, and feel like it would be fitting for me to respond in this thread.

Throughout my years of flying CGK-SIN on Singapore Airlines, I have yet to see a J cabin on these legs that's not nearly fully filled. Given CGK's perennially high demand for both J and F, I would bet on the 773s continuing to serve SIN-CGK for the next two to three years. Afterwards, I can see a mix of 77W, regional and longhaul A350s (since these are quite J heavy), and perhaps one or two daily 78J flights (to replace current A330s on that route).

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
      Hi all! I've been a silent SQTalk reader over the years, and feel like it would be fitting for me to respond in this thread.

Throughout my years of flying CGK-SIN on Singapore Airlines, I have yet to see a J cabin on these legs that's not nearly fully filled. Given CGK's perennially high demand for both J and F, I would bet on the 773s continuing to serve SIN-CGK for the next two to three years. Afterwards, I can see a mix of 77W, regional and longhaul A350s (since these are quite J heavy), and perhaps one or two daily 78J flights (to replace current A330s on that route).
      If the 3 unrefitted planes are going to remain as is regardless of route changes, it would not surprise me to see them on the CGK runs. MNL also gets a mixture of 77W and 77WR on both 910/917 and 916/921 flights.

Even BOM's 773 route has mostly gotten just a 77W lately.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post
        sounds costly to be operating the 77W to CGK on a regular basis.... landing fees based on the higher MTOW/MLW, plus higher cycles to the frames, devaluing the aircraft.

in all certainty we could be seeing the 773s stay on for a couple more years dedicated to CGK routes...just like SQE/SQF in their final 3 years of life. SQF was 15 years at retirement. The newest 773s (SYJ/L) turn 13 this year.
        Oh, I would agree with you on both points. The current 773 fleet isn't being retired in any way for the next 12 months and parts of it might well stay on for another 3 years, focusing on CGK as it does now.

By 2020, the first wave of 77Ws will be 14 years old and SQ owns these. They might look at the cost of developing anf flying about a regional F product and decide that some older 77Ws can fulfill that need, albeit for higher landing costs. Those could be offset by the savings of having less empty seats flying about in the rest of the fleet on regional routes where F isn't viable.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ957 View Post
          Hi all! I've been a silent SQTalk reader over the years, and feel like it would be fitting for me to respond in this thread.

Great first post!

Comment

• Sorry if this is another stupid question. Does Boeing in theory still produce regional 773s for carriers that don't want to spend extra on the engines, fuel tanks, etc that make the 77W go long-haul?

Comment

• Originally posted by hybridace101 View Post
              Sorry if this is another stupid question. Does Boeing in theory still produce regional 773s for carriers that don't want to spend extra on the engines, fuel tanks, etc that make the 77W go long-haul?
              Not anymore, only B772LR and B77W are now on offer with GE90-115BL. You can't place order for any new B772A, B772ER and B773A since RR and PW no longer make engines for them.
              Last edited by jul247; 1 June 2018, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Scoot is now leasing a SQ B772ER for SYD flight to cover for 787 downtime, any one knows which B772ER? Sorry in advance if I have missed out on the discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                  Scoot is now leasing a SQ B772ER for SYD flight to cover for 787 downtime, any one knows which B772ER? Sorry in advance if I have missed out on the discussion.
                  oh dear, could this be why SRM has been out for the past 3 weeks? but if it's merely a wet lease, then i dont see why they have to pull an aircraft out of service for that long to prepare it. furthermore, SRM has the 2006 77W refurbed interior... surely they could have pulled one of the non-refurbed ones?
                  then again, i doubt they'll use a 772ER with the long haul business cabin...altho it has more Y seats. let's see.

Comment

oh dear, could this be why SRM has been out for the past 3 weeks? but if it's merely a wet lease, then i dont see why they have to pull an aircraft out of service for that long to prepare it. furthermore, SRM has the 2006 77W refurbed interior... surely they could have pulled one of the non-refurbed ones?
                    then again, i doubt they'll use a 772ER with the long haul business cabin...altho it has more Y seats. let's see.
                    9V-SVI has also stopped flying for the past week-and-a-half. Might this be the bird to cover up for Scoot’s 787s? Furthermore SQ currently also has some slack with their fleet of 77Es, so it would make more sense for them to send a 77E instead of a normal 772.

Comment

Scoot is now leasing a SQ B772ER for SYD flight to cover for 787 downtime, any one knows which B772ER? Sorry in advance if I have missed out on the discussion.
                      Not sure which bird Scoot have wet leased from SQ. Used to the purple cabin, if not mistaken in the past a. But now with no purple cabin bird in its fleet, I wonder which bird will be leased.

BlueSwan Daily has got this story covered but it also didn’t indicate a specific aircraft. https://blueswandaily.com/passengers...engine-issues/

Comment

• Not sure if SIA have 1 or 2 aircrafts parked in storage in Australia - as believed previously SIA brought back their 772 to be leased to Scoot.

Comment

Originally posted by davidfusq View Post
                          Not sure which bird Scoot have wet leased from SQ. Used to the purple cabin, if not mistaken in the past a. But now with no purple cabin bird in its fleet, I wonder which bird will be leased.

BlueSwan Daily has got this story covered but it also didn’t indicate a specific aircraft. https://blueswandaily.com/passengers...engine-issues/
                          The temporary lease is from 6th June till 30th June 2018 only. With such a short notice, I can only guess the B772ER should be coming from current SQ fleet. Maybe 9V-SVI as what SQ957 has mentioned. There are few ex-SQ B722ER being stored worldwide especially at DME and VCV. None at ASP at the moment, the last one (9V-SVH ex VIM VP-BDR) left for GIG last month for LATAM to cover their 787 issue.

The announcement was made yesterday by Scoot, so we might need some time to attain clarity on which aircraft.

The ch-aviation website noted Scoot B787-8 9V-OFD is out of service since 19th May 2018. Guess this might be the one affected.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...-b787-downtime

Comment

Not anymore, only B772LR and B77W are now on offer with GE90-115BL. You can't place order for any new B772A, B772ER and B773A since RR and PW no longer make engines for them.
                            Is the 77W as cost-efficient as the 773 for short-haul or regional flights?

Comment

oh dear, could this be why SRM has been out for the past 3 weeks?
                              Despite having the 2006 hand-me-down Y seats from the 77W, i know that SRM's J seats haven't been reupholstered to the dark brown leather yet. So this could be it + maintenance...

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                                Despite having the 2006 hand-me-down Y seats from the 77W, i know that SRM's J seats haven't been reupholstered to the dark brown leather yet. So this could be it + maintenance...
                                I'd agree. Pulling a 772 when they have a pretty full roster of flights would just cause issues for SQ's regular operations.

Would make sense to use a 772ER which is sitting about idle and slated for imminent retirement.

Comment

Working...
                                X