SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vasqflyer View Post
    After doing some digging this morning, I am fairly confident that SRJ is headed to NokScoot. Before everyone jumps on me about the 14 year limit (which I have posted about too), it looks like there have been some changes to Thai laws and the new age limit is 16 years. See https://www.pressreader.com/thailand...82604557779884
    and https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/n...p-requirements

I think the CH article in particular would be fairly credible. So assuming that the age limit is now 16 years, SRJ would fit the timing for the next aircraft to NokScoot but hey presto it will be 16 in November (and NokScoot is expected to take aircraft number 4 this month. See https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...n-revival-plan

That article goes on to suggest that aircraft 5 will arrive in Feb next year and aircraft 6 in October (with more if the ICAO red flag is removed as expected by the middle of this month). I think we can assume that SRL will be going to NokScoot too (it will turn 16 in July) and this fits with the annual report which suggested 2 of the 200s would depart this financial year.

That leaves a question over SVF. It is due to turn 16 in Jan year. While it is not the regional series, it was not refitted so there is a possibility that it could make its way to NokScoot too. Beyond that there is SQJ and SVG that are possible later next year. Personally I think SQJ is more likely as the long haul 777s could be used for other flights (maybe Aus flights as the 200s depart and CBR/WLG as the number of regional 777s reduce).
    Great research there!

We actually expect three 772s to exit service before end of March if we are talking any variant. It was specified in the statement as follows:
    Two A330-300s, four A380-800s, two 777-200s and one 777-200ER are expected to be removed from the operating fleet for lease return or for sale.
    I read two 772s and one 772ER as being SRJ, SRL & SVF. If they are specifically removing one 777-200ER, it would be a strange situation if that one wasn't SVF. I guess the same could be said for SRJ & SRL, looking at the situation anew with the change to 16 years from 14.

In order of age, beginning with the oldest, these 3 craft are SRJ, SVF then SRL. So SRJ might be currently doing the C-check so it can be registered now before it turns 16. If this is possible, then we might see SVF withdrawn in a month or so to get its done and its Thai registration by January, right on time for under 16. SRL has until July, so if it's withdrawn by end of March next year (as per operating statement), it can get its overhaul and be registered in Thailand before the cut-off. Maybe it doesn't get into service with NokScoot until a couple of months later, but the deadline was met, and as we expect, if the flag is lifted, then they might want it before October 2018.

SQN is still a question mark- perhaps it is being retrofitted with ex-77W contents like a couple of its 772 peers. It's definitely been out of service for quite some time.

Comment

• SVB has been out of service for quite a while. Does anyone know whats going on?

Comment

• Originally posted by FN-GM View Post
        SVB has been out of service for quite a while. Does anyone know whats going on?
        I hadn't noticed that one. 3 whole weeks since it last flew is quite a while. It's the oldest aircraft in the fleet and they've spent money transferring 2006 Y from the 77Ws and better IFE, so I guess it could just be maintenance.

Comment

Its absence may be affecting the HAN route, which is one of the rare regional flights that gets the SV series. I fly this route often and got subbed to an A330 last week. Sadly I think it may be soon that HAN reverts back to a regional J aircraft, most likely the A330. Having flat beds for this sector consistently was nice while it lasted! Of course Y pax would be happier with an A330 no doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
            Its absence may be affecting the HAN route, which is one of the rare regional flights that gets the SV series. I fly this route often and got subbed to an A330 last week. Sadly I think it may be soon that HAN reverts back to a regional J aircraft, most likely the A330. Having flat beds for this sector consistently was nice while it lasted! Of course Y pax would be happier with an A330 no doubt.
            There's no indication on the new PDF timetable that HAN will go A330 again, so I think your theory may be right. The A330 came off BNE SQ255/36 recently and none have left the fleet so I think they have some slack with that fleet at the moment. If SVB is the 772ER that rolls up to the gate then I think everyone is happy- J gets the 1-2-1 layout and Y gets 2006, same as A330. The problem is when it's not SVB or SVC...

Comment

• My father was on SQJ to DEL as SQ402 (The redeye flight after his 7.5 hour halt from SQ31), and while he did sleep, he said the entertainment system looked a bit more tired than the one on the A350 (SMJ). The thing was originally his flight was supposed to be an A330, but they swapped to a 772 a couple of months ago. I think that partially explains why some A330's are going, but then it could be demand-related also.

He'll be back Tuesday on SQ403 (A380) and SQ32 so his experience even for a short sector may be better.

The way you guys are talking about SVB, I get it's a bit puzzling, but I think because they spent money on upgrading the entertainment system in the oldest aircraft, it probably is out for a longer maintenance visit, because of the age of the aircraft.

Comment

• With the amount of A350s in the fleet, it’s about time to see more 772s retired. Does anyone have info when the “refitted” ones will be phased out?

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                  With the amount of A350s in the fleet, it’s about time to see more 772s retired. Does anyone have info when the “refitted” ones will be phased out?
                  Unfortunately it does not seem like they are leaving anytime soon. I know for a fact that at least 3 have had their J cabin reupholstered with new dark brown leather.

In contrast, the early STx A330s do not seem to be undergoing refit. I noticed that they have started with STV (I think), so it indicates that the early STx are leaving while they are keeping the later STx (and presumably SSx) as well as the 772 refitted.

Comment

• Originally posted by pokfur View Post
                    In contrast, the early STx A330s do not seem to be undergoing refit. I noticed that they have started with STV (I think), so it indicates that the early STx are leaving while they are keeping the later STx (and presumably SSx) as well as the 772 refitted.
                    There were 2 batches of A330s - 19+15 I believe. Most of the first batch have been returned while some had their leases extended. The 2nd batch - starting STT - are still in their first lease term.

Comment

It has just gone 16 years which is pretty much the same as SRJ so maybe it is in its 'c' check too?

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
                        There were 2 batches of A330s - 19+15 I believe. Most of the first batch have been returned while some had their leases extended. The 2nd batch - starting STT - are still in their first lease term.
                        I think all of the first batch will be returned before we start seeing back two go.

Comment

• It's been a good 1.5 years since I last logged in. Seems there's been some discussion about 9V-SRL and its BKK duties. I just booked the Queen and myself on SQ982/SQ981 in end-November. I get the feeling we'll see this bird next month!
                          Last edited by SQ22; 4 October 2017, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alian View Post
                            I'm sure the maintenance and parts will soon be a nightmare for SQ and the last SRL will be taken off soon. But for those who want a last taste of 90's nostalgia this is it
                            You sound like you were flying Air Koryo!

Comment

• Seems like 9V-SRJ is off to NokScoot... A fellow spotter spotted her this morning on tow in NokScoot livery

Comment

• Originally posted by maverick_lim View Post
                                Seems like 9V-SRJ is off to NokScoot... A fellow spotter spotted her this morning on tow in NokScoot livery
                                Excellent news. Seems vasqflyer was right on that one!

Comment

Working...
                                X