X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    Only one.

Scoot transfers have worked as follows:

The original first set of 5 were taken from the 9V-SQ* series. SQA-SQD became OTA-OTD respectively and SQH became OTE. They were fitted out with Scoot interiors.

The final 772 was 9V-SRG that became 9V-OTF but was never refitted. It flew with its old SQ interior just so that Scoot could get more flights up and running while waiting for the 787s.

Of the six above, all but OTC have left the fleet. OTD is the stored one.

OTA & OTB went to AerSale Inc. OTE went to Boeing Capital Corporation. They now have N- registrations.

NokScoot has gained three planes as follows:

SRF-SRH have become XBA-XBC respectively. SRF and SRH went directly from SQ to XW, while SRG worked for TZ as OTF, as described above.

XBA and XBC are in service, sharing the 4 flights to NKG that XW operate each week. All other NokScoot flights are operated by TZ.

The number of actual XW flights will increase from 25OCT to ten weekly with 6x NKG and 4x TPE beginning (extra-red-eye flights!). With no other XW flights planned between now and late March 2016, I can't see the need for more than three old 772s sitting around, although they will certainly need two due to the slight overlap in the two flight timings.

The above information is sourced from planespotters and XW's website.
    Looking at planespotters, SRJ and SRL are coming up to 14 years in November this year and June next year. Any thoughts on whether they could end up at NokScoot? A fleet of three is probably not ideal and would not to grow a little before new generation aircraft can be obtained.

It seems unlikely that SRJ would go because it would need to be transferred before it becomes 14 years old in November and that is unlikely considering that only 1 of the three planes is really being used at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by 259850 View Post
      Contrary to what I thought earlier, the 5 owned B773s may stick around for a while doing the CGK (and maybe 1 or 2 other) routes.
      I definitely think they will keep them going for CGK. The F cabin is incredibly popular on that route which none of the 772s or A330s can supply. They kept 9V-SQE going long past its use-by date just because it was the last 772 with F and had it covering up to three return trips a day until they could free up more 773s for CGK. Several members of this forum did not appreciate SQE's quaint old charm in its final days!

Comment

• Flying to Bangkok on sq970 in November. It's going to be the 777-200 (2 class). SRJ/SRL

Comment

• Originally posted by sqzulu View Post
          Flying to Bangkok on sq970 in November. It's going to be the 777-200 (2 class). SRJ/SRL
          You're right, and you've also uncovered something quite interesting but scary for BKK flyers...

The Invasion of the Purple Cabins

I've just performed flight searches on three random days in November:

SQ970/3 and SQ974/7 are consistently showing SRJ/L seat maps.
          SQ972/5 and SQ976/9 are consistently showing SVF/H/O seat maps.

Neither of these sets of flight pairs allow for the same plane to service them on the same day as the first returns to SIN around or before the second departs. That means that if this is correct and not just a "default" flight map, then SRJ, SRL, SVF and either SVH or SVO are all destined to end up serving BKK on a daily basis. The fifth member of the purple cabin club is due to be returned to a lessor soon.

SRJ/L are also going to be covering MNL with the duo operating a two-day sequence of SQ970-973-918-915-974-977, which is not dissimilar to the present where they already cover the last four of those flights, except that SQ970/3 is going from A330 to SRJ/L.

Flights to MLE, those that aren't being transferred to MI, seem to be upgrading to the refitted 772ER planes on most days with some use of SVF/H/O still.

This all appears to commence from the OCT25 timetable change. After all the announcements about BKK going "All A330" they will now be left with just SQ978/81 and the extra Thu/Fri SQ982/3. The rest will be purple.

Comment

You're right, and you've also uncovered something quite interesting but scary for BKK flyers...

The Invasion of the Purple Cabins

I've just performed flight searches on three random days in November:

SQ970/3 and SQ974/7 are consistently showing SRJ/L seat maps.
            SQ972/5 and SQ976/9 are consistently showing SVF/H/O seat maps.

Neither of these sets of flight pairs allow for the same plane to service them on the same day as the first returns to SIN around or before the second departs. That means that if this is correct and not just a "default" flight map, then SRJ, SRL, SVF and either SVH or SVO are all destined to end up serving BKK on a daily basis. The fifth member of the purple cabin club is due to be returned to a lessor soon.

SRJ/L are also going to be covering MNL with the duo operating a two-day sequence of SQ970-973-918-915-974-977, which is not dissimilar to the present where they already cover the last four of those flights, except that SQ970/3 is going from A330 to SRJ/L.

Flights to MLE, those that aren't being transferred to MI, seem to be upgrading to the refitted 772ER planes on most days with some use of SVF/H/O still.

This all appears to commence from the OCT25 timetable change. After all the announcements about BKK going "All A330" they will now be left with just SQ978/81 and the extra Thu/Fri SQ982/3. The rest will be purple.
            Wow very insightful post indeed. I guess they needed a reason to keep them flying regularly before their imminent retirement. And sending these purple cabins on longer flights is not very feasible, so BKK and MNL it is then.

Comment

• Sitting on SRJ now for SQ977. I really don't get the "shock horror" issue over these aircraft. For a 2-hour flight they're perfectly OK. I've never flown the route in Y but can't believe it mamakes any difference on a short hop like this, or to MNL.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wan1dap View Post
                Sitting on SRJ now for SQ977. I really don't get the "shock horror" issue over these aircraft. For a 2-hour flight they're perfectly OK. I've never flown the route in Y but can't believe it mamakes any difference on a short hop like this, or to MNL.
                I find the J seats on SRJ/SRL to be very comfortable. The seat pitch makes the cabin feel spacious as well. The only downside is the lack of in-seat storage space and power outlets/USB.
                The world's too large a place not to go wandering.

Comment

• Originally posted by viraj735 View Post
                  I find the J seats on SRJ/SRL to be very comfortable. The seat pitch makes the cabin feel spacious as well. The only downside is the lack of in-seat storage space and power outlets/USB.
                  Yes the spaciousness is great. The power outlet doesn't bother me, I never "plug in" on any flight. My laptop has > 10 hours battery life so I can work as long as I like.

Comment

• I think most of us have been spoilt by SQ. After living in the US for a couple of years, all I can say that even SQ's old "purple cabin" 777s are miles better than what you'll get on most domestic flights and even some international flights on US airlines.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaywell View Post
                      I think most of us have been spoilt by SQ. After living in the US for a couple of years, all I can say that even SQ's old "purple cabin" 777s are miles better than what you'll get on most domestic flights and even some international flights on US airlines.
                      For context: UA uses some 772s with very similar J seats to SRJ/SRL (enough that I wonder if they're the same seats under the upholstery) for 7 hour flights to Hawaii.

Comment

• Originally posted by leops1984 View Post
                        For context: UA uses some 772s with very similar J seats to SRJ/SRL (enough that I wonder if they're the same seats under the upholstery) for 7 hour flights to Hawaii.
                        UA's product is actually worse. I remember clearly that the 777s they operate domestically and to Hawaii have no PTVs in both J and Y class.

Comment

UA's product is actually worse. I remember clearly that the 777s they operate domestically and to Hawaii have no PTVs in both J and Y class.
                          Ouch no PTV for a 7 hour flight to Hawaii in a full service airline

Comment

I definitely think they will keep them going for CGK. The F cabin is incredibly popular on that route which none of the 772s or A330s can supply. They kept 9V-SQE going long past its use-by date just because it was the last 772 with F and had it covering up to three return trips a day until they could free up more 773s for CGK. Several members of this forum did not appreciate SQE's quaint old charm in its final days!

Comment

But that doesn't raise that many eyebrows though, given that UA has a reputation for terrible old planes with poor passenger amenities. They get away with it, particularly in the Australia-US route by charging quite a bit less than their competitors. In conversations with colleagues a couple of times one person has said they are flying UA, everyone tells them it'll be awful and they reply that they know, but it was a much cheaper fare.

SQ does not have such a reputation. They pride themselves on their cabin products with photos all over the website showing what passengers can expect and running expensive ad campaigns about tracking down Scottish leather. It's true that their old product isn't too bad, especially for a short flight- much better in fact than what I would get for a domestic flight of the same length in Australia where the Y cabin of SVF would actually be an upgrade. However, the price SQ is charging for a flight in Y between SIN and BKK is almost four times as much as my domestic flight in Y of the same length (based on next Wednesday's prices of one way SIN-BKK for 552.90 SGD).

SQ has to make sure they keep these old planes very well maintained to protect their reputation- something which they fell short on in the last year or so of the 744s in my opinion. The condition of those Y cabins then was actually making me consider switching to a different airline.

Comment

However, the price SQ is charging for a flight in Y between SIN and BKK is almost four times as much as my domestic flight in Y of the same length (based on next Wednesday's prices of one way SIN-BKK for 552.90 SGD).
                                Illogical comparison. You don't think the domestic carrier would charge more if competition made it possible? It's about markets, not sector length.

Comment

Working...
                                X