SQ B777 withdrawal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
    I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of someone involved in aviation economics as to the cost of rehabilitating SWM after it’s recent incident. Are interior fittings and checks associated with them a much smaller cost than the real costs of cycles and takeoffs etc? Is an insurer going to write off the damage or do they need to repair it all because ultimately if SQ doesn’t want to keep using it, they need to find a buyer?
    Quite tough finding a buyer for an old B77W now. SWM is 16 years old, the much younger EY ones are finding it hard to find a new buyer, some have been sent to scrapping. What more of 16 years old bird??

Ultimately, if SQ wants to earn some residual value of the airframe, SQ will still need to fix the aircraft and sell it since SQ owns the airframe. Unless SQ decides to sell it to scrappers after the insurance payout, then there is no point in fixing it thoroughly. Maybe just cosmetic interior fix and off to the desert it goes. SQ sits on 11 billion cash, the insurance payout will add few millions for them. I have a hunch SQ will get rid of it for good. Just like 9V-SSI, the A330 which was involved in tail strike incident in RGN. It was flown to TEV for scrapping. Flew for only four years before its storage and end-of-life fate.

Poor SWM, she just returned to service for only a short period after a long period of storage.

The four B777Ws in storage now, coincidentally K, L, M and N....the poor four:
    1. 9V-SWK 34576 / 644 Boeing 777-312ER F4C48W28Y184 29 Jun 2007 Parked / Maintenance 17 Years
    2. 9V-SWL 34577 / 673 Boeing 777-312ER F4C48W28Y184 29 Oct 2007 Parked / Maintenance 16.6 Years
    3. 9V-SWM 34578 / 701 Boeing 777-312ER F4C48W28Y184 29 Feb 2008 Parked at SIN, (White) Star Alliance cs 16.3 Years
    4. 9V-SWN 34579 / 703 Boeing 777-312ER Preighter 14 Mar 2008 Parked at SIN 16.2 Years
    Last edited by jul247; 27 May 2024, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• That was my general feeling. The oxygen mask system would have to be damaged to a degree. Overhead lockers, lighting, ceilings, looked like the galleys would need major repairs. Why would you do all that work when a different 77W could be brought out of storage instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by SQ228 View Post
        That was my general feeling. The oxygen mask system would have to be damaged to a degree. Overhead lockers, lighting, ceilings, looked like the galleys would need major repairs. Why would you do all that work when a different 77W could be brought out of storage instead.
        I think the cabin issues would be the least of worries. Depending on the G force encountered during the turbulence, an extensive inspection would be carried out on the airframe for damages. The plane would be out of action for a few weeks.

Comment

• I expected it could be grounded for some time too, but it’s already flown back to SIN.

Comment

• SWM was flown back to SIN in normal flight conditions so I don’t think there’s any issue with its air worthiness. The interior of the cabin shouldn’t be too difficult to fix… they have spares for most parts from the other retired 77Ws sitting in storage.

I’m sure there was a reason for leaving SWM parked that long…must be something to do with the asset books. And given that it should now have 2 years’ worth less cycles, this airframe must surely have been intended to remain as one of the last 77Ws to go in future. So I’m pretty sure they will repair it and send it back in the air within a month.

there have been quite a few delayed 77W flights over the past week which seems to have been a result of aircraft shortage (ie “waiting for next available aircraft”) not sure if this is anything to do with SWM’s unplanned grounding.

Comment

• Questions:

Planespotters.net is displaying 23 B77Ws in fleet, but SQ's FY23/24 Results displayed 22 B77Ws with no planned retirement until YE. Which is wrong and which airframe is retired?

B77Ws fleet peaked at 27, with four retirement SWA, SWD, SWE and SWF, now it should have 23??

Comment

• Originally posted by jul247 View Post
                Questions:

Planespotters.net is displaying 23 B77Ws in fleet, but SQ's FY23/24 Results displayed 22 B77Ws with no planned retirement until YE. Which is wrong and which airframe is retired?

B77Ws fleet peaked at 27, with four retirement SWA, SWD, SWE and SWF, now it should have 23??

Hmm, that could mean SWN isn't going to be returned to service. If i recall, it doesn't have the WIFI hump.

SWN remains the only un-reactivated 77W (not forgetting it was reconfigured as a preighter). I'll be flying out of changi again in a few days' time, i'll see if i spot it somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by ell3 View Post

Hmm, that could mean SWN isn't going to be returned to service. If i recall, it doesn't have the WIFI hump.

SWN remains the only un-reactivated 77W (not forgetting it was reconfigured as a preighter). I'll be flying out of changi again in a few days' time, i'll see if i spot it somewhere.
                  SWN a couple of months ago from time to time had some pinging on FR24. Same with SWM a few times before its actual air test. So I imagine it’s possible it may have it.

Good point because all 77W that have returned to service have the new Wifi (except the Panasonic based existing 77W SWU-SNC) and those that do/don’t are likely being removed from the fleet.

I expect SWM to be out of action for a few weeks & SWN to return to service at some point.

Comment

Working...
                  X