Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange question: can I switch seats on board from F to C?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange question: can I switch seats on board from F to C?

Hello,

This is a strange one but I'll ask it anyway.
    I'm flying LAX-NRT-SIN and back at the end of the year, in F.
    If they end up switching out to a 777, I'd like to give the C seat a try for part of a sector.
    Can I board, then ask someone (if there are no empty seats in C) from C to switch with me in F for half of the flight? Then I could try the seat and have the meal service in C to try it out. Would it be rude to ask the passenger to switch back with me after about 3 hours (so I would go back to F 3 hours into the flight)? I thought if I did it on the NRT-SIN sector it would not intrude upon sleep time for the other passenger.
    Is this okay or would it be inappropriate to ask? Also, would it be okay with the FAs?

Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by flyingfox; 27 March 2009, 03:50 AM.

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
    Hello,

If they end up switching out to a 777, I'd like to give the C seat a try for part of a sector.
    Can I board, then ask someone (if there are no empty seats in C) from C to switch with me in F for half of the flight? Then I could try the seat and have the meal service in C to try it out. Would it be rude to ask the passenger to switch back with me after about 3 hours (so I would go back to F 3 hours into the flight)? I thought if I did it on the NRT-SIN sector it would not intrude upon sleep time for the other passenger.
    Is this okay or would it be inappropriate to ask? Also, would it be okay with the FAs?

Thanks for any insight.
    believe this is not officially allowed

Comment

Looks like I'll have to volunteer...

Comment

You can always ask - but I am not sure whether you need to spend that much time in the seat. Food in C is food in C and it is not different on the 77W. You can go back during the flight and sit in the seat for 15 minutes and put it in bed mode - then go back to F and enjoy the next bottle of Krug :-)

Comment

Yikes, that will mean only 15 mins to drain the Krug! Ssshhhh!!!

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
            Perhaps I should clarify a bit - I want to try out the meal and service in C, in addition to the actual seat. I really only drink one glass of Champagne per flight, but can easily do without it.
            Will the FAs allow me to make a switch for half of the flight, or would I need to do the entire sector in C? I thought about just asking to be placed in C for the sector, but I figured that the seat is paid for, so I should switch to let someone else have the F seat?

Comment

I've benefitted from having a very generous friend in F who wanted me to experience the F meal service. He talked the crew beforehand so that we did the switch before meal service began. We made sure to do the reverse-switch when the meal service was concluded, in order not to be in the crew's way as they cleared the plates.

Mind you, this was a switch between F and Y, so, yes, I think it's possible if you discuss the arrangement with the C passenger ahead of time (it wouldn't be good to negotiate and debate the terms onboard after the flight has levelled off ) and then ask the F cabin crew whether this could be accommodated. Although I can't see them refusing outright, I think they will be concerned about disrupting the experience of the other pax, particularly the ones in F, so my guess will be it will depend on how many pax there are, and when the proposed switching will occur during the flight.

If it is a pure switch to the C meal service (where you move to an empty C seat instead of taking the F meal at your original seat), I consider that more disruptive to the service process. I don't think I'd ask for that.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for any insight.
                This is indeed an unusual request.
                In my opinion, don't bother. The F seat, meal service and food is superior to that in C.
                The SQ 77W C seat is good, but by no means the most comfortable, esp in lounge mode. The new C seats on Etihad, Qatar Airways, Emirates, Qantas, Cathay are much more comfortable, albeit not as wide.

Comment

The way to sample C is to buy a C class ticket.

IMO, it is as offensive for someone to come from a higher class cabin to see how the other half live as it would be for someone from a lower class cabin to pop along to sample the higher class wares. Passengers are not zoo exhibits, and the proposed approach sounds condescending.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr H View Post
                    The way to sample C is to buy a C class ticket.

IMO, it is as offensive for someone to come from a higher class cabin to see how the other half live as it would be for someone from a lower class cabin to pop along to sample the higher class wares. Passengers are not zoo exhibits, and the proposed approach sounds condescending.

I fail to see how such a request could be regarded as either "offensive" or "condescending".

The point is not to see how "the other half live". My thoughts have absolutely nothing to do with observing other passengers in any cabin. I don't fly to observe people or to make an impression, so please refrain from making assumptions about me.

Comment

I fail to see how such a request could be regarded as either "offensive" or "condescending".

The point is not to see how "the other half live". My thoughts have absolutely nothing to do with observing other passengers in any cabin. I don't fly to observe people or to make an impression, so please refrain from making assumptions about me.
                      EASY, Tigers! I don't think it's offensive if you don't make other pax into research subjects. Often I'm in Y and peek into J longingly, or just to get an impression about it. If I'm in J/F I might wander to the back just the once to add a pinch of additional savour to the feeling of gratitude that for once I'm not back there.
                      Last edited by maxmin; 10 May 2009, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X