Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would I have to be absolutely and utterly barking mad to... [UA vs SQ]

... fly UA F on SIN-HKG over SQ F?

It basically comes down to the novelty of the new UA F cabin on the 747 (747 nose = my favourite! ), over the bog-standard regional equipment SQ F.

But then, there is the not-so-small issue of the huge chasm between the quality of F&B and service on SQ over UA. Let's just say that I will be eating a lot in the lounge beforehand if I was flying UA!

Everything else is equal to me, since this would be a redemption flight. Even UA's ridiculously early departure time doesn't matter too much, since I will probably stay the previous night at the Transit Hotel.

So, any takers for the UA flight? Or should I stop kidding myself and go for the sensible option?

Originally posted by stargold View Post
    Let's just say that I will be eating a lot in the lounge beforehand if I was flying UA!
    Which lounge do UA F pax use these days?

Comment

SKL F section, which would be the same for any *A F pax. So, the lounge is the same.

If I took UA, I will just stuff myself in the lounge, get on the flight, enjoy the 747 atmosphere and... that's about it, I guess!

Can anything else go wrong, if you just sit on the flight using a laptop without eating and only drinking juice? Although I'm sure UA will find something...

Comment

If you travel enough to be able to re qualify for your preferred FFP, by all means try other products on offer.

For myself, I only travel enough to re qualify for one program every year, so much as I'd like to try biz seat on UA, BA and QF, I'd put myself in danger of losing my status on SQ.

Comment

I'd love to try new UA F.

All boils down to new experiences, seats, destinations.

To be honest, if all the remaining flights for the rest of my life were only from one point to another point, and unchanging, in the same seat (let's say the very best - suites), on the same airline - It'd be my version of hell.

Variety makes things interesting

Comment

I am under the impression that the UA flight is served by FAs based in Asia. Is this still the case? I would almost have said go with SQ but I was intrigued by SQfg's wise words above... it seems to be a no brainer when you could try something new. I'm sure you have travelled well in SQ F, stargold

Comment

Everything else is equal to me...
              If you believe this to be true, then by all means...

Can anything else go wrong...Although I'm sure UA will find something...
              They always do.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Variety makes things interesting
              Agreed. And this way, we can get a report back on how bad things sucked.

BTW, I thought TerryK had mentioned that UA's rollout was going very slow in Asia. How did THIS route garner the new interiors?
              HUGE AL

Comment

At the end of the day, it's merely a flight. For a short distance as well. IMO, any flight any airline any class between SIN and HKG would be more than acceptable (and even between LHR and SYD would not be hell on earth given some of the things which some poor unfortunates have to suffer).

As for the "huge chasm between the quality of F&B and service on SQ over UA", service is a YMMV matter. F&B even on SQ is merely airline food/drink and I've had a few sub-restaurant standard meals on SQ as well.

I don't use the IFE so KrisWorld means nothing to me.

The pre-flight experience will be exactly the same as you will have, as you mentioned, a *A F BP in either event.

Given all of the above factors, it's down to persoanl preference so I wouldn't say you're even slightly mad to choose UA over SQ.

(To put my money where my mouth is, I'm due to fly UL (again) tomorrow evening instead of SQ (again; as originally booked until they canx the flight) and I have no regrets whatsoever (even though my prior SQ flight on this route before was one of the best).

Similarly, I'm taking UA next week YVR-ORD-LHR which I think I would have chosen (even if there was award availability) over YVR-JFK-FRA-LHR (on SQ and others) given the less hassle and my one and only SQ JFK-FRA flight to date which was somewhat less than stellar.)

Comment

I've done it but not in F. Can't help much I guess.
                  We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

I'm a UA MillionMiler and PPS Solitaire. I would pay extra to fly SQ C over UA F. The difference between SQ service and UA service is like the difference between a spa and Abu Ghraib.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                      The difference between SQ service and UA service is like the difference between a spa and Abu Ghraib.
                      I hear Abu Ghraib is wonderful this time of year

Comment

The difference between SQ service and UA service is like the difference between a spa and Abu Ghraib.
                        I couldn't agree more!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

I'm a UA MillionMiler and PPS Solitaire. I would pay extra to fly SQ C over UA F. The difference between SQ service and UA service is like the difference between a spa and Abu Ghraib.
                          Utter BS. If you have a choice of Regional C from SIN to HKG on SQ or the brand-new F on UA, you would go of course for UA. FAs intra-Asia are usually pretty good on UA as well.

New J on SQ beats old F on UA - but that's about it. The old rule applies: F is F is F.

Comment

Personally I'd be more concerned about the OMG o'clock departure out of SIN of the UA flight!

However if the schedule works for you, the miles are earned and the price is right - by all means go for it.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                              I couldn't agree more!
                              Or Park Hyatt and Hyatt Place... (err, wait... which is the upmarket one again...? )

Comment

Working...
                              X