SQ A380 Y cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ A380 Y cabin

I am still debating if I should take the 77w from LHR-SIN or if I should go for the 388, since the prices are the same for Y class if I buy the ticket before March 26. If I choose the 388, which Y section is better for comfort during turbulents: upper deck or lower deck?

Upper deck A380 would be much better than 77W in Y for the following reasons:

1. Smaller cabin on the upper deck - everything is done quicker and less stressful.
    2. Much quieter cabin than 77W - those GE90s feel like they can make your ears bleed.
    3. 2-4-2 config vs. 3-3-3 config. It's much better if you're either alone or with someone else, by taking the pair on the window side on the A380.
    4. Storage bin on the window side - very useful for those small tidbits that you use during the flight such as laptop.

Comment

Thanks for the info, stargold... that was helpful. Is the lower deck decent as well compared to 77W?

Comment

I though the 744 was supposed to be the best? If so I would route via FRA instead, just to get on the 744.

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
          I though the 744 was supposed to be the best? If so I would route via FRA instead, just to get on the 744.
          Yeah, I considered that but my dilemma is I'm coming from YYZ making a stop in LHR for my cousin's wedding in April. On my way back, I'm taking SQ26 thru FRA so I'm happy about that.

But for the way there, that's my only choices unless SQ decide to change SQ319 to the current plane they are using.

Comment

Originally posted by kchika View Post
            It's about to be withdrawn from the fleet ( Mar 2010 has been mentioned in some threads )

So if you are an aircraft enthusiast, catch it while you can.

It's also better looking than the A380

For me, fewer passengers on board is also an advantage

Otherwise, A380 wins every other comparison

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
              It's about to be withdrawn from the fleet ( Mar 2010 has been mentioned in some threads )

So if you are an aircraft enthusiast, catch it while you can.

It's also better looking than the A380
              Yeah, that's why I opted for SQ26 thru FRA on the way back. If the wedding was a month earlier, or if SQ was doing the aircraft switch in late April, then I would've taken SQ319 without hesitation. Or if I did not have to attend my cousin's weddin', I would've connected in FRA with SQ25 on the way there as well. But because that is not the case, I was (and still am) debatin' on whether I should take the 77W, which I will be taking on AC from YYZ-LHR and also from FRA-YYZ, or try the 388 for the first time.

I would've rather tried the 388 on a shorter flight first like SIN-NRT, or maybe an even shorter flight like Hong Kong if that was possible, before a 11hr non-stop trip.

btw, I heard they may be withdrawn even by end of 2009 if things get even worse.

Comment

Hi there, first post here and hope this is an appropriate thread. Am flying the A380 for the first time this year SIN-LHR in Y and currently have 78H assigned to me. I'd like a window for the sleep potential and the storage compartment but I like to get up and stretch my legs quite often, so feel bad about getting a window seat. However, there is a window exit seat currently available on the upper deck and I'm debating going for it.

Two questions:

First, do the window seats at exit rows still have the storage compartment?
                Second, I've seen mentioned that the storage compartments can be a little mucky, is that the general consensus?

Any info gratefully received, I expect the exit rows will disappear pretty quickly - there are no window exit rows on any of my other three sectors left and I'm not flying until Nov!

Comment

I was in 71K on SIN-LHR a couple of months ago.

Whilst it would be described as a 'window seat' there is no window at that row. Also there is no side 'storage compartment'.

The other thing about that seat (and all the seats in the vicinity) is the lack of overhead storage space since it is occupied with emergency medical equipment.

Comment

i posted this in another thread, but no replies so far, hopefully someone can advise me here?

"i would also like to ask in the A380 Y class, given that 48D and 75H (upper deck aisle) are available? which would you recommend?

i am leaning towards 48D for the extra legspace (since no seat in front) but am concerned about the tray table and personal tv stored in the side rest..by the way, the personal tv is not smaller just because it is stowed in the side rest right?"

Comment

It all depends on what your preferences are. I would go for legspace (48D) if it was going to be a long flight.

On a shorter flight, I would go for the upper deck for the less congested ambience.

The difference in seat width due to the tray table and the PTV being stored in the arm-rests is not really noticeable (to me at least), and yes, the PTV is the same size.

Further note, 81A and 81K (second set of exit seats on the upper deck of the A380) do not have windows either.

Comment

I travelled on 388 on April 12, 2009 on SQ317, and wasn't too impressed with the lower deck Y cabin (It was good but not all that it was hyped up to be). I was at 37A. Seats were a little crammed, but that's not an issue for me. The seat pockets on my seat and the person next to me were slightly torn so things could not be kept securely there. The washroom (lavatory) tap, which was controlled by the touch system was not working, for the washroom I chose, so I ended up going to another washroom to wash my hands. The carpet was also slightly wearing off. It was 9V-SKA, the first Whale Jet, so maybe it was just for that particular plane that had these slight problems, since it was the oldest out of the SQ 388 fleet.

But I have to say that the plane was indeed the quietest plane I've ever taken from take-off to landing, and the AVOD system was great, as it had more options than the older PTVs. Mine had a few scratch marks on the screen, but no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by bent View Post
                          i posted this in another thread, but no replies so far, hopefully someone can advise me here?

"i would also like to ask in the A380 Y class, given that 48D and 75H (upper deck aisle) are available? which would you recommend?

i am leaning towards 48D for the extra legspace (since no seat in front) but am concerned about the tray table and personal tv stored in the side rest..by the way, the personal tv is not smaller just because it is stowed in the side rest right?"
                          Extra legroom wins in my opinion!

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                            It all depends on what your preferences are. I would go for legspace (48D) if it was going to be a long flight.

On a shorter flight, I would go for the upper deck for the less congested ambience.

The difference in seat width due to the tray table and the PTV being stored in the arm-rests is not really noticeable (to me at least), and yes, the PTV is the same size.

Further note, 81A and 81K (second set of exit seats on the upper deck of the A380) do not have windows either.
                            thanks for your advice!

Originally posted by sumitsan View Post
                            I travelled on 388 on April 12, 2009 on SQ317, and wasn't too impressed with the lower deck Y cabin (It was good but not all that it was hyped up to be). I was at 37A. Seats were a little crammed, but that's not an issue for me. The seat pockets on my seat and the person next to me were slightly torn so things could not be kept securely there. The washroom (lavatory) tap, which was controlled by the touch system was not working, for the washroom I chose, so I ended up going to another washroom to wash my hands. The carpet was also slightly wearing off. It was 9V-SKA, the first Whale Jet, so maybe it was just for that particular plane that had these slight problems, since it was the oldest out of the SQ 388 fleet.

But I have to say that the plane was indeed the quietest plane I've ever taken from take-off to landing, and the AVOD system was great, as it had more options than the older PTVs. Mine had a few scratch marks on the screen, but no big deal.
                            wow, so fast and the aircraft is so poolry maintained huh?

Originally posted by hsf View Post
                            Extra legroom wins in my opinion!
                            looks like i will indeed stick to the lower deck for the extra legspace! esp since it's London-SIN!

Comment

Thanks for the responses. As it's a budget trip, I think I'll pass on the option of spending $71 for an exit row and just stick with regular seating. Now, of course I need to choose 48D (still open) vs 78H...

48D - nice leg room, still an aisle seat but lower deck and immovable arm rest
                              78H - standard leg room, aisle seat, small cabin, but possible if not likely, that I may get an empty seat next to me and be able to stretch out, which is not possible in 48D.

Decisions, decisions!

ETA: there is a disabled toilet not far from 48D - do they (could they) put a disabled pax in 48D for the legroom, ease of manouvering etc? Not that I'd begrudge that you understand, but if I gave up my upper deck aisle for 48D and then lost it because it was needed for a disabled pax, I'd end up worse off than I started. I did ask this question on FT but no one seemed to know/have experience, so any opinions v gratefully received.
                              Last edited by Almo; 21 April 2009, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X