16 Mar - SQ321 LHR-SIN canx for the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 Mar - SQ321 LHR-SIN canx for the day

phaleesy and I were due to take this flight tonight departing at 22:05.

When we got to the SKL J, they told us that the flight had a hydraulic problem which they were trying to fix for the last 5 hours. They would make a decision in about 30 mins whether to canx the flight for the day and in the meantime, we should wait in the lounge. The SKL J was nearly full to capacity with all seats occupied.

Eventually, around 22:30, they announced that the flight would not go that evening and that we had all been booked in the Radisson Edwardian and there would be coaches taking us. After a long while, we were eventually led through LHR to arrivals, through immigration and the baggage hall out into landside. It was one of those occasions when one was thankful for travelling in J (or with status) as we walked past the remains of the Y pax who'd been waiting in the gate area for goodness knows how long!

phaleesy got told that there were 2 different hotels depending on the class of travel. The Y pax had coaches taking them somewhere else and we were taken to the Radisson. Before getting on the coach, each pax was handed a male or female overnight kit.

We were given a notice saying that we would get further information at 6am tomorrow (today). The form also set out the EU 261/2004 notice required by law but whilst it mentioned meals, refreshments, phone calls and hotels, it specifically doesn't say anything about compensation. It also says that the mentioned assistance "will apply without prejudice to any rights you may have under applicable law ... to further compensation".

Free wifi in the hotel provided. Brekkie tomorrow morning as required by the EU regulation.

to the SQ LHR ground staff who were very good, e.g. asking phaleesy whether she needed help; getting her a dental kit in the lounge; etc.

phaleesy says that the R pax are in this hotel as well.

I was when queueing up at the hotel desk to get a keycard, the pax in front of me started a discussion about staying here a lot and whether he can get a suite upgrade (despite the long queue behind him)!

The notice from SQ says that further news will be disseminated at 6am.

Comment

Hope it's not too greatly inconvenienced you unca J.

Whee! Another night in london (ok, horses for courses here )

Comment

Hmmm, having had a quick look, perhaps the notice is right ? i.e. you only get EU compensation if the flight is cancelled (or you get bumped off due to overbooking) but in our case, presumably the flight is just delayed but not cancelled ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          phaleesy After a long while, we were eventually led through LHR to arrivals, through immigration and the baggage hall out into landside. It was one of those occasions when one was thankful for travelling in J (or with status) as we walked past the remains of the Y pax who'd been waiting in the gate area for goodness knows how long!

Do you folks have to clear passport control again (with passport being stamped) or just let thru without any inspection ?

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
            Do you folks have to clear passport control again (with passport being stamped) or just let thru without any inspection ?
            We all had to queue up to clear immigration. I have a UK passport so I don't know whether others had their passport stamped or not.

This:

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=321

shows the flight as being cancelled as of 10 minutes ago (1:30am) so I assume the flight cancellation provisions do now kick in. EUR 600 each apparently!

Comment

Not a bad way to start off a holiday with an extra EUR 600

Then again, hope you don't miss any meetings for work you might have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Not a bad way to start off a holiday with an extra EUR 600
                Each apparently! Unlike when it happened before with IB (who counted out EUR 250 in cash for each of us there and then due to overbooking), I doubt SQ will distribute bundles of notes to every pax on the A380 who asks the question so we'll have to write in afterwards to claim it I think.

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                Then again, hope you don't miss any meetings for work you might have had.
                It's a problem and made worse by the fact that at the moment I have no idea what time we're leaving today...

Comment

Oh dear, sorry to hear. Here's hoping the rest of your trip would be far less eventful!

If there's no certainty in what time you're going to leave and you have unchangeable plans elsewhere (eg nonrefundable hotel bookings, limited time off work etc), could you ask to be booked on another flight?

Or even "released" to another carrier (ie an FIM)? I don't know about SQ, but I know some airlines do this (eg LH) whilst others are more reluctant (eg BA).

Just trying to think outside the box here...

Nonetheless, good luck!
                  Last edited by KeithMEL; 16 March 2009, 02:12 PM.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Keith. I've already missed the first night in SIN with a non-cancellable, non-changeable rate so will see what happens now to the second night!

6am has come and gone without any news (as promised). The hotel reception says that they're expecting a fax from SQ in about half an hour.

Comment

We received an update from SQ:

* The plane is still in the process of being fixed.

* All R/J pax have been re-booked on SQ317 this morning but with J pax in Y due to insufficient J seats. "More information will be given to you with regards to the refund of the fare difference upon check-in."

* Other pax in Y with connections to MEL, BNE and SYD also re-booked on SQ317.

* Remaining Y pax re-booked on SQ321 tonight.

There's also a somewhat overworked (but very nice) SQ ground staff in the hotel reception dealing with everything (the same poor guy from last night so obviously he didn't get much sleep!).

We've told them that we have a fear of whY and must travel J, on another airline if necessary, e.g. QF, BA, LX etc. SQ took our details and promised to contact us later.

Comment

I've already missed the first night in SIN with a non-cancellable, non-changeable rate so will see what happens now to the second night!
                        Was this at the SR? If so, I'm sure they'll work something out for a frequent stayer like yourself.

...but with J pax in Y due to insufficient J seats.
                        That sucks!
                        HUGE AL

Comment

Sorry to hear about the inconvenience fella. Hope it doesn't spoil too much of the trip.

but with J pax in Y due to insufficient J seats.
                          Shame for those who will get downgraded. Any idea how many this will affect ?.

Comment

In a situation like this i would expect SQ to upgrade some J passengers to R, as i would expect to be the case on any other airline. If not then it is proof indeed that SQ would sooner upset probably the most profitable passengers on the A380 (J class that is) rather than disturb the over hyped 'class beyond'!!

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              Sorry to hear about the inconvenience fella. Hope it doesn't spoil too much of the trip.
                              Thanks, we're perfectly happy as we have a few days in SIN first so not a problem at all (we'll have to eat even more when we arrive to compensate!). SQ just called to update us on the options (so another ) - SQ CDG/etc is totally full (perhaps those with status re-booked ?) and BA/QF day flights too so they're now looking at evening options including SQ321. Looking myself, there's also availability this evening on BA and SQ ex-FRA and ZRH so we should definitely get away from somewhere today.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                              Shame for those who will get downgraded. Any idea how many this will affect ?.
                              If everyone took up the initial offer by SQ, it would have been every J pax booked on last night's SQ321.

Comment

Working...
                              X