Clear All

• SQ cuts capacity 11%

http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story...6&sec=business

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_339065.html

There go the A345s...

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
      There go the A345s...
      Will A345s be a part of 17 aircraft to be decommissioned this year?

Comment

Some of the 17 aircraft to be decommissioned will be very likely to be replaced by the introduction of A330 and let's hope that some of the older regional B772s will be decommissioned (ie. The non-AVOD fitted 9V-SR* and 9V-SQ* series)
        The Romance of Travel... Singapore Airlines

Comment

yes even then when SQ reduce and claims a reduction of 3% flights last dec - it was apparent that the figures dont add up and was and will be much more than that figure as touted. Its sad to see quite a number of aircraft going but most of these would be the 744s and the earlier 772s - altho a few 772ERs would be grounded too way before their schedule off-service. And sadly altho management claims "retrenchments" are as last resort - the grapevine is that its already in the works for both tech n cabin crew.
          But on marketing n filling up of seats and get back some of the pax who have
          migrated to other regional carriers - SQ seems slow to remove the fuel surcharges firstly, and in launching some promotions and at this trying times even promotions on their premium F n J classes too - as their front end of the planes are in dire need of pax and loads up there are pathetically bad.

Comment

Any aircraft leaving the fleet will be from among the pool of:
            - 14 pre-2000 (no AVOD) 777s (not including the 4 pre-2000 777-300s which are due for refitting with the new seats),
            - 12 remaining 747-400s, and
            - 5 A350-500.

That's 29 aircraft that could plausibly be grounded this year. My guess is that the A340-500s will stay, as Airbus provide SQ with steeply subsidized parts and MX to keep them in service. I think Airbus will make just about any deal needed to keep the A340-500s flying to LAX and EWR.

It would not be surprising to see SQ defer delivery of their second tranche of WhaleJets.

Comment

Sad but inevitable.

I think the 744's are probably high up the list. Will be very sad to see them go, as they a fabulous aircraft.

Just hope any staff cuts are kept to an absolute minimum, if not avoided altogether.

Comment

think more important is which destination will be cut/reduce frequency, rather than the aircraft rite?

Comment

My personal idea is that airlines must change their perspective regarding fare structure.
                  With a similar lookout, I think they should consider to revise the tickets' price in order to attract customers reducing the profit per ticket in premium classes but being able to fill up the planes.
                  that's my personal opinion.
                  There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                  If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    I think the 744's are probably high up the list.
                    I think the 747-400s are at the top of the list. Replacing a 747-400 with a 777-300ER reduces CASM and increases RASM. In a low-yield environment, it's a great move. SQ are operating 3 747-400s that could be directly replaced by 777-300s once the latter have the new cabins: 2x SYD and 1x MEL. 4 777-300ERs (now operating to MEL, SYD, DEL, BOM, HKG, and PEK) could also be replaced by refitted 777-300s, freeing up those 4 777-300ERs to replace 747-400s flying to LHR and FRA.

We may even see 777-200ERs taking over routes from 747-400s.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    Just hope any staff cuts are kept to an absolute minimum, if not avoided altogether.
                    I agree. Salary cuts would probably be a better option.

Originally posted by kal View Post
                    think more important is which destination will be cut/reduce frequency, rather than the aircraft rite?
                    Predicting route cuts is more difficult than predicting fleet cuts. I'll rise to the challenge though and predict that SQ will drop the FRA-JFK tag and codeshare again with LH to JFK.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                      .... I'll rise to the challenge though and predict that SQ will drop the FRA-JFK tag and codeshare again with LH to JFK.
                      For once, I hope you are wrong! Unfortunately, you are often right.

I think SQ will be better off suspending EWR and LAX nonstops. Those flights are for point-to-point premium markets which shrank dramatically since the crisis began. One-stop flights to LAX and JFK receive local and connecting traffic as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                        For once, I hope you are wrong! Unfortunately, you are often right.

I think SQ will be better off suspending EWR and LAX nonstops. Those flights are for point-to-point premium markets which shrank dramatically since the crisis began. One-stop flights to LAX and JFK receive local and connecting traffic as well.
                        Loads for A340-500 operations are poor, but the yields are still great. Loads and yields are poor for the FRA-JFK tag, plus the aircraft sits all day at JFK, so utilization is poor too.

There is a long-term trend away from fifth-freedom operations -- despite increasingly liberal air services treaties -- in favor of codeshares and ULH ops. I expect this trend to continue.

Comment

I'll predict the SIN-FRA noon flight will go first... and perhaps some BKK/MNL and some south pacific flight during their winter time...

Comment

Originally posted by kal View Post
                            I'll predict the SIN-FRA noon flight will go first...
                            I can imagine SQ downgauging FRA to 777-200ER operations, but I cannot see them reducing frequency below 2x daily unless the economy gets a whole lot worse than it is now.

Comment

As much as the naysayers hate the A345s, the A345s will be around for sometime. ULH is here to stay and things will pick up when the economy recovers down the road. WEF April 2009, there will only be 13 744s in SQ's books. 3 of which are due to go in 2009/2010, leaving 10. With SKG/H/I/J in fleet by year end, this will further reduce the need for the 744s and with the refurbishment of the 773s underway, this will allow the 77Ws to be freed up on shorter routes zvezda has mentioned as the 773s can fly these missions as well. The 77Ws will take over the 744 fleet and we should see the 744 retirement being accelerated to Q2/3 2010 the way things go.

Here's what I think the 17 aircraft are.

-9 772
                              -1 773
                              -7 744 (Includes the 3 leaving in 2009/2010)

Comment

Working...
                              X