Questions about luggage when traveling LHR-SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about luggage when traveling LHR-SIN

Hi everyone, this is my first post here even though I've been lurking for a while. I tried searching but couldn't find an answer, so do pardon me if these questions have been answered.

I flew SIN-LHR about two weeks back and am returning on SQ319 in a few days time. At that time, I made the mistake of bringing a little too many clothes and my total check-in luggage at that point was 22.3kg. I also carried one duffel bag (which I'm sure is more than 7kg in it) with a laptop. While over here, I got rid of some of the presents I brought over for friends but in the meantime also laid my hands on some more pieces of clothing and A LOT of magazines and books.

So my questions is as follows:

1) Flying back from Heathrow, if my check-in luggage weighs in at about 24, 25kg (I am flying economy btw) is it likely that I will be asked to pay for excess baggage? If so, I am thinking of shipping back some stuff via Royal Mail.

2) As mentioned earlier, I only brought a duffel bag on the previous flight but I also have a sling bag which I brought along. I intend to (if I can) put my laptop in my sling bag and put some reading material into it so I can reduce the weight of my check-in. Do let me know if this is possible? I had a friend fly back from Manchester to Singapore last week with a laptop bag and a carryon.

Thanks so much!

Hi Kris welcome to SQT

If you are only a couple of KGs over then there is a good chance that you will not be charged. However it is always a possibility.

From LHR you are now allowed to take two items of handluagge a so yes you can take your laptop in a separate bag and fill your duffel bag up.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your very prompt reply.

Would you happen to know what the charge/kg overweight flying from LHR-SIN is?

Thanks!

Comment

If I remember correctly it is charged at 1% of one way full First Class fare for the route /kg.
        So for LHR-SIN it may be around GBP30 per kg.

Comment

i've flown with 28kg in one single piece of luggage ex-LHR on SQ before. however, that would probably be the absolute limit. my friends have been asked repack at the check in desk before, and that is surely not a very pleasant experience.

Comment

Depending on the check-in agent. Go for the super friendly looking ones.

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
              Depending on the check-in agent. Go for the super friendly looking ones.
              When you queue in Y and then get pointed to a particular (less friendly-looking) agent, I don't think you may choose to pass.

I think kris will be fine with what he had described. Just as a note: at LHR, it's safer to be overweight with your two carryons (as long as they don't attract the attention of the BAA size fascists) than with checked luggage (though as Lobster and kelvgoh noted, there's a bit of leeway with checked luggage).
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for all the help!

I checked in with around 25kilos (did manage to get a youngish friendly looking chap as the checkin agent!) and two heavy carry-ons (definitely more than 7kg) without any problems.

Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                X