SQ moves to Zone A at LHR Jan 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ moves to Zone A at LHR Jan 2009

I was at the SQ ticketing desk at LHR last night, which is currently outside the main terminal building during major internal refurbishment works, and after chit-chatting with the lady, she told me SQ would be moving to Zone A for check-in, and merging with the large Virgin Atlantic area, at the end of January.

This obviously makes sense as a) all the SQ flights are VS codeshares anyway and b) Zone E is dark, dingy and very unpleasant.

Now, I wonder if premium SQ pax will be able to use the private VS Upper Class security channel, and even the very cool drive-thru check in?? (Perhaps they will restrict this to SQ F?).

Anyway, this is good news

Originally posted by More Champagne Sir? View Post

Anyway, this is good news
    Agreed.

Comment

Oh well, after being told not to say anything about this for a while I suppose it was inevitable it would come out some other way.

Now, I wonder if premium SQ pax will be able to use the private VS Upper Class security channel, and even the very cool drive-thru check in?? (Perhaps they will restrict this to SQ F?).
      Yes, they will be able to use the VS UC security channel, No they will not be able to use the drive-thru. The security channel access will be for J and F/R pax.

SQ will be getting seven permanent desks at the far left of Zone A for Economy pax, and this will have permanent SQ logos etc up. J and F/R pax will use a couple of the VS UC desks and there will not be permanent SQ logos up there.

Comment

Oh this is good news.

The number of times I have had to queue even for the J ticket desks in what feels like a transit zone of passengers. Zone A is so much more pleasant - light, open airy, calm.

I take it SQ are still moving into T1 later next year though? Actually I think that would be a shame compared to zone A and we would lose the VS Clubroom.

Comment

Originally posted by VC10 Boy View Post
          I take it SQ are still moving into T1 later next year though?
          Definitely not. They reckon it will be 2011/2012 before they leave T3.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            Definitely not. They reckon it will be 2011/2012 before they leave T3.
            Yay! More time in the Clubhouse!

Comment

i wonder whether this move has any significance in the context of SQ's shareholding in Virgin Atlantic - not that its a viable time to divest anyway.

Comment

Why is this good news for Y passengers? Zone A is nearly always cramped solid with Virgin customers, most of whom appear to try to check in as much luggage as is humanly possible.

Comment

Yay! More time in the Clubhouse!
                  Exactly!

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
                  i wonder whether this move has any significance in the context of SQ's shareholding in Virgin Atlantic - not that its a viable time to divest anyway.
                  While the link between the two has something to do with where they are moving too, it's quite simply to try and make the while LHR check-in experience nicer. Zone E is a grim part of the terminal, and as others have said, it gets chaotic around there.

Originally posted by LHR View Post
                  Why is this good news for Y passengers? Zone A is nearly always cramped solid with Virgin customers, most of whom appear to try to check in as much luggage as is humanly possible.
                  I disagree. Zone A obviously gets busy but it's far better than Zone E, especially since the revamp was done.

Comment

Originally posted by LHR View Post
                    Zone A - 7 Y Check in Desks
                    Zone E - 3 Y Check in Desks

Zone A - Just VS and SQ
                    Zone E (and very close proximity) SQ, SK, UA (when long queues), VAT Export and a few others...

Zone A - Nice well, lit high ceilings
                    Zone E - Bungalow with dodgy light bulbs.

I could go on...

Definitely a good move SQ ^

Comment

Zone A - 7 Y Check in Desks
                      Zone E - 3 Y Check in Desks

Zone A - Just VS and SQ
                      Zone E (and very close proximity) SQ, SK, UA (when long queues), VAT Export and a few others...

Zone A - Nice well, lit high ceilings
                      Zone E - Bungalow with dodgy light bulbs.

I could go on...

Definitely a good move SQ ^
                      UA has already moved to T1. I can't remember if SK has as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        UA has already moved to T1. I can't remember if SK has as well.
                        Fair point, however AI have moved into UA's space and the queues are even worse! SK are still in T3.

Comment

LHR Check in Zones.

Good Morning -

I am flying to SIN & SYD on SQ in J next week and was wondering whether SQ have actually moved to the VS check in zone yet. As I recall a previous thread seemed to suggest this was the case...

Many thanks.
                          DMS.

Comment

I flew out of LHR on the morning of the 3rd of Jan and it was still the old check in area.

Comment

Old check in area.

For some reason, it took me 30 minutes to complete my check-in at the Business Class / *G lane! The queue was crazy...wtf

Comment

Working...
                              X