Will we see SQ offering "Economy Plus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will we see SQ offering "Economy Plus"

With SQ offering Preferred Seats for sale to squeeze every dollar in this global economic down turn, anything seems possible.

What do the pundits think of the possibility of SQ offering "Economy Plus" on some of the routes?

After the devastating failure of Executive Economy, it seems unlikely for a while.

Comment

I can see a premium economy product emerging though with little change. Simply charging a higher fare to sit in whY on the upper deck of the A380. It's not that dissimilar to paying for extra legroom seats.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
        After the devastating failure of Executive Economy, it seems unlikely for a while.
        I would hesitate to attribute its failure to the concept of Y+, when I consider it more an issue of route economics of ULHs.

An Executive Economy class on many of SQ's other routes would likely perform well.
        Last edited by huaiwei; 4 November 2008, 10:49 PM.
        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

I think that a Y+ service is fundamentally cannibalistic to an airline's own J revenue base. Particularly in a slowing economic environment like now, it's likely there will be more downgraders from J than upgraders from Y.

So the tough call for SQ is choosing between cannibalising its own J revenue, or seeing more competitors like BA & QF do it for them.

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
            I think that a Y+ service is fundamentally cannibalistic to an airline's own J revenue base. Particularly in a slowing economic environment like now, it's likely there will be more downgraders from J than upgraders from Y.
            Yup. That is the basis of the argument by NZ for not expanding business class (on some routes it is near impossible to get paid business class unless booked well ahead) ... that the downturn will naturally rebalance supply and demand.

Comment

I fear, like many of you, that if the economic situation enters a protracted slide, and isn't isolated to a geographic region, but indeed is global. We will see drastic changes and nothing is off the table.

Right now as much as I would love to fly in the Suites, I wonder if we'll see them on the next batch of A380's, and have to wonder for the near short term, and medium term, if offering Y+ wouldn't make more sense.

Comment

Wasn't upper deck of A380 originally planned to be executive economy?

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-SIA View Post
                  Wasn't upper deck of A380 originally planned to be executive economy?
                  No, the idea was briefly considered, but never planned.

Comment

Preferred Seats = Economy Plu$.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                      Actually being 6' tall I am happy with the decision to adopt Preferred Seats policy

I'm sure tall people are with me on this.

Small premium for less worry ( will I or will I not get E exit seat? )

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                        If they are indeed to bring back E+, and have a row of those seats located at the EE, will they impose additional charges for passengers wanting those seats despite having already "paid more" for deluxe economy?

Having said so, I also highly doubt they'll be re-introducing premium economy. Definately not anytime soon. If they were performing well, LAX & EWR would still be seeing them.
                        My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

In my mind, I do think the lack of success of the Premium Economy has probably more to do with the implementation of it in the ULH sectors of LAX and EWR which are in excess of 15hours. Such sectors are probably more suited for the Premium Cabins due to their ability to offer the business travellers the flat bed for a proper rest. Most of the leisure travellers in Y do not have that luxury and hence may prefer a stopover for such long haul sectors. It would be interesting to see how the Y+ would have fared if it was also included in other routes like LHR or Sydney.

That being said, it is unlikely that we will see Y+ being introduced in the foreseeable future in the current economic climate, and on a side note, you've got to wonder exactly how well the suites are doing at the moment.
                          -z.h.i.w.e.n-

Comment

One of the things that CX does is to reserve (as long as possible) the front few rows of whY for its Marco Polo members. No basinettes there and the staff know who the frequent flyers are.

Now SQ seems to go all out to fill that front part of economy with screaming kids.

Overall it seems to me that the SQ program is heavily oriented to PPS members travelling in J or C and very little recognition is given to Krisflyer Gold members who are travelling in whY.

I pay my own fares and I don't see that 2-3 times the fare is justified.
                            Last edited by sudsoz; 8 November 2008, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X