Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to book?

Hi all

Wifey and I are flying LHR-BNE in late March 09, and I as wondering if it's best to book before or after Christmas to get the best ticket price, or will they remain fairly stable from here on?

We know our exact dates and which flights we want, but we're seeing the prices fluctuate slightly as time goes on.

Any advice appreciated

If I were you, i would buy later because SQ is not dropping their fuel surcharge even the crude oil price has dropped quite significantly. We might see it dropping when SQ gets a new price tag for their jet fuels from oil companies.
    Last edited by lee_apromise; 31 October 2008, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks Lee - so best to wait a while then?

Do prices only fluctuate w/ fuel prices, or are there other factors which may see the fares for late March increase?

Comment

Fuel surcharge is to be paid in USD therefore the currency fluctuations do contribute to the surcharge. For instance, SQ has increased the surcharge by almost AUD150 (ex-Aus) in a month time becuase AUD is dropping its value ridiculously against USD. The Same principle applies to the currency you will be paying with.

Just don't take my word for granted.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
          Thanks Lee - so best to wait a while then?

Do prices only fluctuate w/ fuel prices, or are there other factors which may see the fares for late March increase?
          The risk of waiting is that airlines have only so many seats available at the cheapest prices. So once all the cheapest seats have been taken the price will go up.

However nearer the departure date if there are still a lot of empty seats it is not unknown for airlines to reduce the price to try and get more people to take the flight.

My normal rule is that if I have a specific flight I want I normally book as soon as possible as the gamble that the price will come down near the departure time is one I have lost too many times in the past. And of course you run the risk of the ultimate lose which is the flight you want is totally full.

Comment

Good point, Lobster. Thanks

Comment

I would book now too - if you know the dates etc then why not?

I held off on booking once only to find the flight fill up... then had to go on waitlist which only cleared 1 day before the flight...

So as soon as I know the dates I book.
              matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Working...
              X