Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will SQ relaunch Internet Connection in the Air?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will SQ relaunch Internet Connection in the Air?

Few years back, the Boeing Connexion was discontinued on SQ 744s. I have heard rumors that American and Delta are testing wireless internet again.

Does anyone know if SQ is considering to relaunch wifi internet connection on any of it's aircrafts anytime soon?

Following link talks about QF's A380 full internet access technical issues and delay to launch full internet access until late 2009....

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/...014090,00.html

Cheers.
    Last edited by SQ All The Way; 26 October 2008, 11:40 AM.

Yes, of course, when the technology becomes available again.

Connexion by Boeing had two problems: the price and the business model. Boeing's business model was to take most of the risk, paying for most of the installation costs, and collecting most of the revenue stream. This left airlines little incentive to install power ports in Economy Class. The result was an average of only four Connexion customers per flight. Boeing should have either required power ports accessible from every seat or should have required that airlines take enough of the risk to have a sufficient incentive to provide power ports in Economy Class.

Comment

Thanks zvezda. Over 95% of my flights on SQ are either on F or J hence personally I would not have an issue paying $20-$30 for this service. In fact I think it's a bargain for a trans-pacific 15-17 hr flight. Of course one may see pros and cons to having on-board internet connectivity. I think most people flying F or J would see it as a bargain.....$20 to $30 for this service is not much assuming one has paid a few thousand dollars for their F/J fare.

However based on your feedback, first they would need to make the power ports availabile at every seat......

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ All The Way View Post
        .....first they would need to make the power ports availabile at every seat.........
        First, SQ needs to find a service provider.

I don't think there is any satellite based service provider in operation after Connexion shutdown. The few current service providers are ground based and cannot provide internet access over the water.

Comment

Is Panasonic done with sat based onboard internet project?

Comment

Working...
          X