Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which destination will be last served by SQ 744 in 2011?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which destination will be last served by SQ 744 in 2011?

Since the thread of SQ2/1 shocking news of not being deploy the 380 but 77W instead, & many of you were guessing where will be the next 380 served next if not SFO / LAX, & where can SQ get 2 extra 77Ws to serve SFO, etc...would it be a good wild guess in 2011, which destination will be the last 744 to fly?

I really lost my memory in years that I totally forgot the last 742 Super-B & the last 743 Big Top served, something like Maldives, or Bangkok...!

My guess is SYD/MEL/AKL. These destinations can be served daily with a single aircraft, though AKL would require more substitutions than SYD or MEL.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
      My guess is SYD/MEL/AKL. These destinations can be served daily with a single aircraft, though AKL would require more substitutions than SYD or MEL.
      Having ceased 744 services to AKL I'd be very surprised to see them change their mind and send them back again.

Comment

Actually, it is tough to tell. On record, everyone is almost sure the 747-400 will be phased out by 2011. But off the record, they may around in the airline a little longer. Only reason why I am saying this is because, in September, 2008, after my flight from Los Angeles to Singapore on 9V-SPA, I managed to catch up with a couple of pilots, who first told me that the plan is to phase them out in 2011 for the A380s, at which point, my reply was ,"Thats too bad, I'm gonna miss them." Then one of the pilots chuckled and then said that off the record, they may be around little more (i.e. a few more years) because SIA is always semi-undecided about them. So, even when all the A380s arrive, there may be like 7 or 8 Megatops (I still call them that). That is also when I heard the rumor that in 2013, if there are a few Megatops around, they could possibly be replaced by the 747-8. Honestly, I can see SIA keeping them around a little longer. The Big Tops were scheduled to be phased out by 1995, but they hung around till the end of 1999. I miss them a lot. I've only travelled on the Big Top once, and that was a rare Kuala Lumpur to Singapore flight, which was normally operated by the A310 at the time.

I know by 2013-2014, most airlines are going to phase out the 747-400s, even Lufthansa and Qantas.

Comment

The way things are going, SQ won't get their 19th WhaleJet until 2012 or 2013.

Comment

Working...
          X