Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Now confirmed] SQ 1/2 downgauged to 777-300ER?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe that's true, but the 747-400 was like the best airline to me, though I've flown the 777-300 from SIN-MAA, I think the 747-400 shouldn't go away. I really think it's not right to operate another 777-300ER from SIN-SFO via Hong Kong. It's better to choose from a 747, because the seats and the Kris World are spacious.

Do you have any idea why they are downgrading the aircraft 744 to a 773ER? It doesn't sound right to operate both 773ERs both routes. One should have a 744, the other should have a 773ER going to San Francisco

Well, can't they at least do this then

SQ15/16 should be a 747-400
    SQ1/2 should be a 777-300ER

Comment

Originally posted by SQfanatic View Post
      Maybe that's true, but the 747-400 was like the best airline to me, though I've flown the 777-300 from SIN-MAA, I think the 747-400 shouldn't go away. I really think it's not right to operate another 777-300ER from SIN-SFO via Hong Kong. It's better to choose from a 747, because the seats and the Kris World are spacious.

Do you have any idea why they are downgrading the aircraft 744 to a 773ER? It doesn't sound right to operate both 773ERs both routes. One should have a 744, the other should have a 773ER going to San Francisco

Well, can't they at least do this then

SQ15/16 should be a 747-400
      SQ1/2 should be a 777-300ER
      The 773 != The 77W. Both are configured differently.

Go through the initial posts in this thread. You will understand why the downgauge in eqpt but upgrade in product offering.

Comment

Well, you note that you fly SQ 1/2 every two years. I use those flights every few weeks, and lemme tell 'ya: those 744s are crossing the Pacific these days with a LOT of empty seats. They are (alas) simply too big for the amount of business currently available.

Comment

Well, can't they at least manufacture a new 747-400ER at least?
          Boeing does.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
            Boeing does.
            Passenger 744s are no longer in production only freighters now.

Comment

Maybe that's true, but the 747-400 was like the best airline to me
              I agree - 747 is a beautiful aircraft and in time to come, it'll be a classic.

Do you have any idea why they are downgrading the aircraft 744 to a 773ER?
              747 is a heavy aircraft and it consumes fuel like water!

Comment

Well, I heard that they are operating the 777-300ER due to poor winter loads. Is there a chance they can bring back SQ1/2 to the 744 soon?

Comment

Well, I heard that they are operating the 777-300ER due to poor winter loads. Is there a chance they can bring back SQ1/2 to the 744 soon?
                  No. Not at all. The 744s are being phased out from the fleet.
                  Last edited by Nick C; 6 November 2008, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                    Passenger 744s are no longer in production only freighters now.
                    Boeing is developing the 747-8. LH is the only airline customer for the passenger version so far. Most orders are for the freighter.
                    /Desert Traveller

Comment

Originally posted by Nick C View Post
                      No. Not at all. The 744s are being phased out from the fleet.
                      WHAT!!!!!!! That's really sad, and really sucks to see the 744's going away. I'm even feeling sad hearing this.

Comment

Even though it is a downgauge from B744 to B77W, it is actually a big upgrade to the new products from the old B744!
                        Last edited by StarG; 7 November 2008, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I would take the 77W over the Megatops any day. Though I agree that the 744s are the most stylish looking piece of flying machine ever to fill the skies.
                          My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

I'd actually choose the 744. Though the cabins are old and worn, for a un-frequent flyer like me there will come a time when you have no choice but to fly on the 77W cabins anyway, so just fly the 744 while it lasts. Will be flying SQ2 this month, might be the last chance to get a 744 on the route.

Comment

I would also choose the 744. same reason as wsssaero. I am very much looking forward to SQ25 on FRA-SIN as my first intercontinental J flight and SQ12 on SIN-NRT-LAX as my first intercontinental and first in general First Class flight. I am happy to experience the 744 premium cabins after all ... when I was little, I always passed those cabins telling my daddy "one day, I am gonna sit there" ... well now it's happening. I am a bit sad I could not experience the premium cabins on the Celestar, though. =)

anyway, if SQ down-gauged SQ1/2, they have their reasons.

And I hope we will be seeing 747-8's in the future as a success anyway. Lufthansa is a trendsetter and they also ordered the 737-100 while many airlines weren't interested. The 747-8 is a great looking baby and I hope SQ will order some ... this 747-8 in SQ livery... just lovely.
                              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                                And I hope we will be seeing 747-8's in the future as a success anyway. Lufthansa is a trendsetter and they also ordered the 737-100 while many airlines weren't interested. The 747-8 is a great looking baby and I hope SQ will order some ... this 747-8 in SQ livery... just lovely.
                                I don't think we'll see SQ order any 747-8s unless they cancel their second tranche of WhaleJet orders -- 9V-SKK through 9V-SKS.

Comment

Working...
                                X