Come on, SQ, hurry up and let MI join *A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come on, SQ, hurry up and let MI join *A

I really wish SQ would have done with it and let MI become a *A member.

This obsession with seemingly not wanting their name on narrowbodies (and thus needing MI in the first place) is rather strange.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
    That would certainly make leaving KrisFlyer easier for a SIN-based SQTalker I know.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Not just SIN-based ones. The only flights I (deliberately) credit to Kris Flyer are Silkair ones. The orphaned miles are a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
        Not just SIN-based ones. The only flights I (deliberately) credit to Kris Flyer are Silkair ones. The orphaned miles are a nuisance.
        Given SQ's wish to rid itself of a decent loyalty program, you'd have thought they'd then be pushing to accelerate MI's entry into *A.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Given SQ's wish to rid itself of a decent loyalty program, you'd have thought they'd then be pushing to accelerate MI's entry into *A.
          Not really. The MI flights are short and so slow to accrue within Kris Flyer unless have other flights credited to KF. Therefore slow to be redeemed, more likely to be on low value awards/upgrades, and a chance some miles expire. Whereas crediting to another FFP, SQ has to pay the other FFP for the miles at time of flight. Thus if MI pax don't have much other flights the cost to SQ is less.

Even if have other flights credited to KF, the low earn rates and high burn rates means the cost to KF is low.

Comment

Not really. The MI flights are short and so slow to accrue within Kris Flyer unless have other flights credited to KF.
            The SIN-based SQTalker I know has very frequent MI flights because of work. The accumulated miles isn't quite so trivial, and with his long-haul trips factored in, the FF benefits are substantial enough, even with KrisFlyer's stinginess.

Comment

That would certainly make leaving KrisFlyer easier for a SIN-based SQTalker I know.
              Isn't that an incentive for MI not to join *A?

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                Isn't that an incentive for MI not to join *A?
                Logically, in isolation, yes, but SQ's recent actions seem to be aimed at driving FFers away anyway.

Perhaps the costs from the payments Kiwi mentioned

Whereas crediting to another FFP, SQ has to pay the other FFP for the miles at time of flight. Thus if MI pax don't have much other flights the cost to SQ is less.
                override my point, though.
                Last edited by jjpb3; 6 October 2008, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post

This obsession with seemingly not wanting their name on narrowbodies (and thus needing MI in the first place) is rather strange.
                  I don't that will happen anytime soon in my opinion. One is that MI has never been a very profitable outfit and have been loss making until recently. Someone mentioned is now more linked up with SQ's longer flight. In the past, they have worked on slim budgets and I do feel sorry for the folks in MI. However, recently they have shown some profitability at least in the past two years but again nothing to crow about. With all eyes on numbers from both SQ and MI, my guess is nobody will make the commitment to join *Alliance.

MI does have its advantage of serving secondary cities that are not well served by other airlines and the linkage with SQ is a key leverage it has.

Perhaps the plus point of MI joining the *Alliance will actually improve its revenue numbers. But I am not really sure.

Comment

The SIN-based SQTalker I know has very frequent MI flights because of work. The accumulated miles isn't quite so trivial, and with his long-haul trips factored in, the FF benefits are substantial enough, even with KrisFlyer's stinginess.
                    If MI joins *A, I will definitely say bye bye to SQ KF!

I have two MI flights next week and the following week that has to be credited to KF.

Comment

MI should join as a regional member.
                      We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Working...
                      X