[Confirmed]: Book a preferred seat by paying a fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Confirmed]: Book a preferred seat by paying a fee

A flock of tweety birds told me the following which is still under review, after being delayed in its implementation. It might be a positive news for some, but might be something that could create rants amongst PPS.

If you are a PPS, at the moment, you can request certain preferred seat when flying in Y, in which at the end usually you will get it. Preferred seat I mean here are the bulkheads and emergency exit. For example, last time I flew SIN-ZRH on 77W in Y, I was able to get confirmed in advance the emex seat 31H. It was part of the benefit being LPP.

Anyway, SQ received many feedback from pax who are flying in Y. They are willing to pay a fee to get those emergency exit seats which have extra leg rooms. And what SQ will do? Here is the possibility that might happen.

Any medium and long haul pax who buys the ticket on line from SQ website, whether it is a paid ticket or a redemption, when making seats selection, the pax will be able to see all available seats including the emex seats (currently they are blocked off). If this pax chooses emex seat, he/she will be able to reserve one at that moment by purchasing it for a fee or you can call it as seat surcharge. (I have no idea how much though. ) Of course, the pax must follow the safety rules, such as the pax must be over certain age (infants, kids, and teenagers would not be able to occupy emex seats) , physically fit in case of emergency (which reminds me that a pregnant woman will not be able to pick this seat), and other requirements. Of course at the end when the person check-in, the agent can make an evaluation whether the person meets the criterias that have been set up.

For other pax who don't get the ticket from SQ website, between 24 to 48 hours prior to the flight, these pax can check their bookings on line, and can choose the emex seats if they are available. Again, a fee needs to be paid for purchasing this preferred seat.

Of course, at the time for check-in at the airport, if there is still an availability for the emex seat, any pax can pay a fee to be able to seat in that roomy emeregency exit seat. Again, security criteria will have to be met.

Now, why do I call this an enhancement for PPS? As my example above for my flight SIN-ZRH, with the possibility of purchasing a preferred seat, the new policy would not make me able to book that seat 31H on 77W in advance. I can get that seat, if I buy my ticket on line, and I pay a fee like everybody else. If I buy a last minute ticket in Y, as LPP, I still need to pay a fee to get that roomy leg room seat.
    Basically, all Solitaire, QPP, as well as KF Elite, will have to pay the same fee like others. Thus, it's an enhancement for all SQ elite members.

The reason why I decide to post this possibility, is that, for all SQ flyers here who might get affected by this idea, will be kindly give feedback to SQ. At least, we can perhaps give a bit influence, before SQ decides to announce it. And a reminder, rants would not work I believe.

Hope I write it clear and concise enough.
    Happy Sunday!
    Cheers,

Oh dear - the gouging continues

Comment

Thanks for the post, SQ LPP. In my opinion, they should keep this as an EG & PPS benefit, being a reward for being goos customers of SQ. How much can they earn from the fees? And how much goodwill is lost? I would not do it if I were SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        The reason why I decide to post this possibility, is that, for all SQ flyers here who might get affected by this idea, will be kindly give feedback to SQ. At least, we can perhaps give a bit influence, before SQ decides to announce it. And a reminder, rants would not work I believe.
        Thanks for posting, SQ LPP. So is SQ reading this and we should give our feedback here??

Charging a premium for something brings with it the additional responsibility of guaranteeing something of additional value. If SQ cannot guarantee this, then they should not implement.

Here's one example I can think of when this could backfire:

Occasionally, getting row 31 is not a benefit but a curse.

Imagine paying for 31A on a 772, and getting being seated next to a couple in 31 B/C with screaming baby in a bassinet. The bassinet is totally in your face and blocks all access to the aisle and any benefit of being in row 31. Plus there is the high probability of "acoustic torture" from the baby.

If SQ didn't charge a premium to the pax in 31A, then at the end of the day it's just that person's tough luck. But if a fee was levied, then any reaction by that pax which may normally be deemed PITA would, in this case, be quite justified.

To SQ beancounters, if you are reading this, you have been warned...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
          Thanks for posting, SQ LPP. So is SQ reading this and we should give our feedback here??

Charging a premium for something brings with it the additional responsibility of guaranteeing something of additional value. If SQ cannot guarantee this, then they should not implement.

Here's one example I can think of when this could backfire:

Occasionally, getting row 31 is not a benefit but a curse.

Imagine paying for 31A on a 772, and getting being seated next to a couple in 31 B/C with screaming baby in a bassinet. The bassinet is totally in your face and blocks all access to the aisle and any benefit of being in row 31. Plus there is the high probability of "acoustic torture" from the baby.

If SQ didn't charge a premium to the pax in 31A, then at the end of the day it's just that person's tough luck. But if a fee was levied, then any reaction by that pax which may normally be deemed PITA would, in this case, be quite justified.

To SQ beancounters, if you are reading this, you have been warned...
          Sorry to correct you in here.
          I am talking about "emergency exit." Thus bassinet would not be there. Just remember what are the requirements to be able to get assigned at emex seat.

Comment

China Airlines

SQ will not be the first full service airlines who charge a fee for certain seats. China Airlines charges $15 for aisle seats of the first 10 rows of their long haul economy class starting October 16, 2008. You can find the discussions here on TOF: CI Y Seats Selection - Want aisles? Pay.

Comment

Sorry to correct you in here.
              I am talking about "emergency exit." Thus bassinet would not be there. Just remember what are the requirements to be able to get assigned at emex seat.
              I see. So, excluding bassinet rows (which are preferred by many), they are thinking about doing this over, what, no more than approx. 10-15 seats on any given flight?

How much incremental revenue are they going to earn from this "enhancement"???

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                I see. So, excluding bassinet rows (which are preferred by many), they are thinking about doing this over, what, no more than approx. 10-15 seats on any given flight?

How much incremental revenue are they going to earn from this "enhancement"???
                Bassinet needs a wall.
                I don't think SQ looks at the incremental revenue from this proposed idea. Lets go back to the fact that many pitas out there who demand the preferred emex row in Y. Those with higher status trying or demanding kicking out lower status pax who gets the emex seat. Thus, by having the seats available for purchase, someone with higher status can not kicking out those who has been booked for those seats. Less headache for SQ. Less conflict among the elites.

Comment

Bassinet needs a wall.
                  I don't think SQ looks at the incremental revenue from this proposed idea. Lets go back to the fact that many pitas out there who demand the preferred emex row in Y. Those with higher status trying or demanding kicking out lower status pax who gets the emex seat. Thus, by having the seats available for purchase, someone with higher status can not kicking out those who has been booked for those seats. Less headache for SQ. Less conflict among the elites.
                  How common is the problem you mention? Is the current status-quo such a headache?

Being a "mid" tier elite pax on SQ, I don't think I have bumped anyone from a preferred seat, nor have I been bumped from a preferred seat by someone with higher status...

If this isn't about additional revenue, then a simple first-come, first-served policy should be adhered to.

Comment

This is just another reasons why I am glad I have moved my business to BA. OK the service is not as good but it is perfectly acceptable but as BA Gold I can check in at the First Class check in, get access to the First Class Lounge, get access to the business lounge no matter who I am flying with and can choose any seat I prefer with no charge. OK so a lot of these benefits are only important to those of us who do the majority of our flying in Y but I do like to treat myself to premium class travel when I can and now this money will be going straight to BA (or another OW carrier) to maintain my status.

Comment

So, if those seats with extra legroom are now being sold, what exactly are the benefits on board for PPS members when traveling in Y?
                      Pretty much PPS members are left with priority tags for their luggage, lounge access, and priority boarding (which is sometimes not fully enforced) and easier wait list clearance? And that's worth S$25,000?!

My opinion for SQ is to RE-reconsider the "pay-for-emergency-seat" policy. Remember SQ, your airline is regarded as one of the best airlines in the world, if not the best. Your fares are already out of the world, do you seriously need that extra revenue from that couple of seats? It just sounds sooo cheap and thats not something that the "best" airline in the world does. You are not some budget airlines, and you are not a financially troubled full service airlines. So, why do this? Give your loyal customers something to hold on to so they can continue to be loyal. Give your most loyal customers something to feel good about, something to be proud of when holding your PPS cards.

Of course, that's just my opinion and you can do whatever you wish. But remember, when benefits for PPS card members are just as beneficial as any other groceries card, people will go for other loyalty programs that make them feel more SPECIAL. SQ may be the best airline now, but there are many others out there trying hard to take the spot. With nothing left to hold on to, even your most loyal passengers will not hesitate to "experiment" a little with other airlines.

Comment

Less headache for SQ. Less conflict among the elites.
                        Sorry, I've thought about this some more and really don't buy the idea that this solves anything for SQ. Very probably causes more angst.

Hypothetically, what happens if:

1. No-one pays the premium. Flight is full in Y. Is SQ going to fly with the "premium" seats empty? I doubt it... So seats still get given to higher status pax... Result: conflict.

2. An ES status pax pays the premium. Flight is overbooked in Y and op-ups are given. Who get's it? The ES pax who paid the premium may now have a case that he, rather than the TPP (who didn't pay), should be entitled to the op-up... Result: conflict.

3. No-one pays the premium. Flight is not full. Are pax going to be prevented from re-seating themselves to these so-called "premium" seats when doors are closed? Result: ... conflict...

Comment

maybe SQ could also weigh every passenger and ask for an extra fee for every extra-kg.... (OMG, i couldn't afford anymore to fly SQ =
                          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
                          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

It's a bit like United's Economy+ isn't it?

As one single anecdotal data point, I flew on a flight in Economy Class and I got 31C (because I requested it by phoning 62238888 after I made the booking on SingaporeAir.com (without requesting a seat)).

On the flight I was being nosey and found amongst other things a PPS manifest. It didn't click at first by none of the PPS passengers were in the four (at the time B and J were blocked) EMEX seats in my part of the cabin. In fact, one guy was sitting in 35D and his KrisWorld failed.

I'm not sure how much revenue they would get from this and whether it would be worth it.

Comment

If SQ were to implement this (IMO ill-advised) change, I'd be very disappointed. It smacks of LCC thinking (i.e., unbundle a service and try to charge a price reflecting the shadow price calculated by management) -- it's not at all what I expect from SQ. They can do it behind the scenes, but they shouldn't do it so overtly. It's all so gauche.

And once again, SQ would be flipping off the flyers (PPS members and EGs) who have tried to show some demonstrable loyalty.
                              Last edited by jjpb3; 6 October 2008, 06:26 AM. Reason: clarification
                              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                              X