Interesting...... [no full dinner service]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting...... [no full dinner service]

I flew SQ342 in F yesterday and noticed again that they did not serve a “full” dinner prior to landing. We had the full course lunch as expected after takeoff with the normal two choices of appetizers, two choices of soup and salad followed by the 5 choices of main courses which then was followed by the desert, cheese, and fruit. But the second meal served before arrival into ZRH, we had an abbreviated dinner service which was labeled as “Light Meal” which only consisted of one choice of appetizer, three choices of dishes and the single desert option to conclude things. Yesterday’s meal schedule was the same as the afternoon departure I took to CDG (SQ332) in July.

I’ve taken the lunch time departure to LHR several times in the past including one last year and recalled the number of choices in appetizers, soup, salad, main course, desert you get on the full dinner service (2nd meal) is almost the same as what you get in the full lunch service. So in all I got full lunch & full dinner for SIN-LHR, but full lunch and & light meal for SIN-CDG & SIN-ZRH. But the last time I took the early afternoon departure to LHR, it was last year and not sure if that flight still serves the “full” dinner for the 2nd meal. If not perhaps it is related to cost cutting? If yes is it perhaps ZRH & CDG are shorter than LHR or perhaps ZRH/CDG isn’t as much a premium route compared to LHR so they get less choices? Not complaining that this is a major issue or anything but nonetheless these are some the differences I’ve witnessed on the day flights to Europe depending on route.

Also yesterday I was flying on separate tix, SQ F BKK-SIN-ZRH in one and then LX Y ZRH-GVA on another tix. I was going BKK-GVA via SIN and ZRH. I knew when I lined up to check in at BKK that SQ would have no trouble tagging my bags to ZRH. But when I showed her both tickets and ask if she can have my luggage checked all the way to GVA, not only did my bags show GVA as the final destination but she also printed the LX BP to my surprise.

Another interesting encounter was the immigration procedure when arrived into Europe. Upon arrival into ZRH last night, I enquired with a ground staff about my connection and because I told her I’m already in possession of my onward BP and my bags have been check through, she instructed me not to go through immigration and instead go straight to the gate of the connecting flight. As a result, I ended up clearing immigration in GVA as oppose to ZRH and this sounds rather odd to me. I don’t how many passengers on the LX flight were connecting from an international sector, but I would assume there had to be some “local traffic” passengers just flying ZRH-GVA and these people have to undergo immigration procedure on a domestic sector?

BTW I have to do GVA-ZRH on LX again on Saturday then connecting to ZRH-YYZ on AC going back home to Toronto. And this will again involve separate tickets between LX & AC. Does this mean I’ll be going through departure passport control in GVA?

On a side note ZRH is such a sweet flowing airport for connection compared to LHR or CDG.
    My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

LHR is a main european hub for SQ. SQ is eyeing the possibility of LHR to New York for quite some time.
    There're more people travelling in and out of London than any european airports. Besides, there is strong competition among BA and QF on SIN-LHR routes.
    With the credit crunch so pronounced in the UK, SQ will definitely feel the pinch given QF will be using A380 on SIN-LHR.
    Perhaps, the French and Swiss are contended with light meal prior to landing based on feedback? Or perhaps they tend to sleep or rest more during the flight and not indulging in more alcoholic drinks.

Interestingly, I posted SQ308 F menu thread and I thought offering breakfast on the first meal service is inappropriate and it seems a bit unwelcoming.

I am confused when you mentioned about immigration whilst transit at GVA. I thought you were transferring through ZRH to GVA?
    I like ZRH airport for its stylish and timeless design just like SIN airport.

Comment

Interesting to hear that they can now issue BP from a separate ticket at first check in point. That's excellent - very helpful since the add on flights can cost so much more when bought on the same ticket as the SQ flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rejuvenated View Post
        ....BTW I have to do GVA-ZRH on LX again on Saturday then connecting to ZRH-YYZ on AC going back home to Toronto. And this will again involve separate tickets between LX & AC. Does this mean I’ll be going through departure passport control in GVA?....
        Yes. There is no domestic flights as such in Switzerland. All passengers, even the occasional domestic only ones, need to go through immigration at the first airport. I once flew GVA-ZRH only and had to go through outbound and inbound immigrations.

Comment

I have had the same experience flying to Europe recently and the flight time was about the same as SIN-ZRH. They only serve a light meal at lunch time and full dinner with satay. So it was not two full meal services. Well....I guessed it is another cost cutting move. I speculate that SQ has a fair bit of changes in managers judging from the number of loyalty program manager changes I have seen in the past five years. It may be possible every manager is implementing something new and cost cutting seems easy to be registered as a plus on management ability?

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity View Post
            I have had the same experience flying to Europe recently and the flight time was about the same as SIN-ZRH. They only serve a light meal at lunch time and full dinner with satay. So it was not two full meal services. Well....I guessed it is another cost cutting move. I speculate that SQ has a fair bit of changes in managers judging from the number of loyalty program manager changes I have seen in the past five years. It may be possible every manager is implementing something new and cost cutting seems easy to be registered as a plus on management ability?
            I love hearing everything is cost cutting!

Comment

I've always thought that SIN-FRA, SIN-CDG and SIN-ZRH day flights were full lunch and light meal. No?

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                Interesting to hear that they can now issue BP from a separate ticket at first check in point. That's excellent - very helpful since the add on flights can cost so much more when bought on the same ticket as the SQ flight.
                As far as I remember, I had experienced the issuance of the BP of the continuing flight from the originating first check-in point on a separate ticket for couple years. I think it depends whether the segment has opened for checked-in. Yes, I had done BKK-SIN-FRA SQ then FRA-YVR LH on separate tix. Sometimes, when it's not opened yet for check-in at BKK, when I waited for my flight at Changi, I asked SKL staff to process the check-in for that separate tix segment. And if opens for check-in, SQ would be able to issue the BP.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification SQ LPP.
                  Maybe that was the problem with my past flights, not being able to get BP at the first check in point.

Comment

That should be the case these days with online check-in being available anyway 24-48hrs before the flight.

Provided you are in the same Alliance i don't think there can be any issue these days about not issuing onward boarding passes.

Comment

I flew SQ342 in F yesterday and noticed again that they did not serve a “full” dinner prior to landing. We had the full course lunch as expected after takeoff with the normal two choices of appetizers, two choices of soup and salad followed by the 5 choices of main courses which then was followed by the desert, cheese, and fruit. But the second meal served before arrival into ZRH, we had an abbreviated dinner service which was labeled as “Light Meal” which only consisted of one choice of appetizer, three choices of dishes and the single desert option to conclude things. Yesterday’s meal schedule was the same as the afternoon departure I took to CDG (SQ332) in July.

I’ve taken the lunch time departure to LHR several times in the past including one last year and recalled the number of choices in appetizers, soup, salad, main course, desert you get on the full dinner service (2nd meal) is almost the same as what you get in the full lunch service. So in all I got full lunch & full dinner for SIN-LHR, but full lunch and & light meal for SIN-CDG & SIN-ZRH. But the last time I took the early afternoon departure to LHR, it was last year and not sure if that flight still serves the “full” dinner for the 2nd meal. If not perhaps it is related to cost cutting? If yes is it perhaps ZRH & CDG are shorter than LHR or perhaps ZRH/CDG isn’t as much a premium route compared to LHR so they get less choices? Not complaining that this is a major issue or anything but nonetheless these are some the differences I’ve witnessed on the day flights to Europe depending on route.
                      SIN-CDG, SIN-ZRH and SIN-FRA seem to have the same pattern of meals served for the afternoon departure. If we look back at May 2007, on SQ326 SIN-FRA the menu looked like this (post#82 SQ F Menu thread):

Originally posted by nickbot View Post

Lunch from Singapore to Frankfurt
                      Create your gastronomic experience from our selection of tantalising options

(Gordon Ramsay's choice denoted by *)

APPETISERS

Chilled malossol caviar
                      with melba toast and condiments

*Duck foi gras coated with breadcrumbs-allspice, raisin-pear chutney and mesclun

SOUPS

*White onion soup with parma ham and rosemary croutons

Double-boiled clear Cornish game hen soup with Chinese herbs

SALAD

Fine mesclun leaves with shaved lotus root and oxheart tomato
                      Balsamic and extra virgin olive oil dressing
                      Singapore dressing infused in shallot oil with sambal, lime and honey

ENTREES

*Seared Chilean bass in a horseradish veloute, white-green asparagus and crushed basil-potatoes

Wok-fried marinated pork chop served with sweet and sour sauce, steamed brocolini and fried rice

Stewed beef cheek in shiraz wine reduction with sauteed morel muchrooms, melted leek and brown butter potato

Yakitori
                      Japanese grilled chicken on skewer served with seasonal vegetables and plum flavoured steamed rice

Salad of oven-dried roma tomato with mozzarella cheese, couscous and rocket
                      Basil pesto and balsamic dressing

DESSERTS

*Warm Bailey's bread and butter pudding with chocolate sauce

Warm Bailey's bread and butter pudding with vanilla ice cream

CHEESES

Selection of emmenthal, caprice des dieux, rambol walnut and boursault vache cheeses served with garnishes

FRUITS

Fresh fruits in season

[SQ326QC SIN-FRA (LF/SN1/LMF) 229-1.1 05 FC]

Light bites from Singapore to Frankfurt
                      Should you fancy a little snack or something more substantial, simply make your selection known to our crew, during the flight

NOODLES

Fish ball noodle soup
                      Noodles in broth served with fish balls and fish cake

Prawn noodle soup
                      Nooles in broth served with prawns and fish cake

Vegetarian and non-vegetarian instant noodles

Soba
                      Japanese green tea noodles with dashi-soya dip, spring onion and wasabi

SANDWICHES

Chicken satay and lettuce sandwich

Beef pastrami and gherkin sandwich

Roasted capsicum and Santa Lucia mozzarella sandwich

SNACKS

Cashew, almond or macadamia nuts

Toblerone chocolate

Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies

Real McCoy 'Smokey Barbeque' potato chips

Assorted Walkers biscuits

A selection from the fruits basket

Assorted cheeses with garnishes

[SQ326QC SIN-FRA (LF/SN1/LMF) 229-1.2 05 FC]

Light meal from Singapore to Frankfurt
                      Lean back and unwind with our simple yet delightful culinary selection

APPETISERS

Alaskan crab and celeriac remoulade garnished with assorted tomatoes and mesclun

ENTREES

Kao tom
                      Thai-style rice porridge with prawns, scallops, fried garlic and pickled vegetable

Pepardella pasta with Chinese-style braised roast duck with dried shiitake mushrooms, chestnut, asparagus and chilli oil

Chorizo sausage and onion quiche with warmed vine-ripened cherry tomatoes and mesclun salad

DESSERT

Ginger creme brulee served with assorted fruits salad

[SQ326QC SIN-FRA (LF/SN1/LMF) 229-1.3 05 FC]
                      As comparison, here is the menu for SQ318 SIN-LHR. I do agree with your observation that perhaps the length of the flight time plays a role in the meals service, as well as the fact that SIN-LHR is a prime route. And remember as well that SIN - LHR has more competition.

Originally posted by Moomba View Post
                      Lunch:
                      Appetisers:

Oven-baked warm escargot with spinach and herb butter

Anti Pasto – Parma ham with melon, duckliver terrine with fig compote and seared “blackened” scallop with avocado salsa

Soup:
                      Double-boiled clear Cornish game hen soup with Chinese herbs
                      Cream of button mushroom with truffle cream

Salad:
                      Caesar Salad - Romaine lettuce with bacon, parmesan cheese, croutons and anchovy-garlic dressing

Main Courses:
                      Wok-fried beef in black pepper sauce with garlic, French bean and dried shrimp in XO sauce, fish noodle with bean sprout

Roasted herb crusted lamb chops served with pommery mustard sauce, roasted vegetables and gratin potato

Singapore style chilli crab – A whole crab stir-fried in a spicy chilli sauce served with mantou and steamed rice – A celebrated local dish

Papardella pasta with Chinese style braised roast duck with dried shiitake mushroom, chestnut, asparagus and chilli oil

Warm fillo pastry tart spread with onion jam and topped with roasted provence style vegetables and fresh mozzarella, tomato herb salsa

Dessert:
                      Warm chocolate tart with Haagen Dazs rum-raisin ice cream and passionfruit

Cheese:
                      Selection of kapiti aged cheddar, Tasmanian heritage double brie, rambol walnut and chaumes cheeses served with garnishes

Fresh Fruit:
                      Fresh fruits in season

Light Bites:
                      Noodles:

Fish ball noodle soup – Noodles in broth served with fish balls and fish cakes

Prawn noodle soup – Noodles in broth served with prawn and fish cake

Vegetarian and non vegetarian instant noodles

Sandwiches:
                      Chicken satay and lettuces sandwich

Beef pastrami and gherkin sandwich

Roasted capsicum and santa lucia mozzarella sandwich

Snacks:
                      Cashew, almond or macadamia nuts

Toblerone chocolate

Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies

Real McCoy potato chips “Smokey Barbecue”

Assorted walkers biscuit

A selection from the fruit basket

Assorted cheeses with garnishes
                      Dinner:
                      Canapes:

Satay – With onion, cucumber and spicy peanut sauce

Appetisers:
                      Chilled malossol caviar with melba toast and condiments

Alaskan crab and celeriac remoulade garnished with assorted tomatoes and mesclun

Soup:
                      Puree of artichoke soup with sautéed artichoke and crème fraiche

Double-boiled oxtail soup with cordyceps and Chinese wine

Salad:
                      Baby spinach leaves with shaved pecorino cheese, sem dried red currant and toasted pistachio nuts – Thousand Island dressing or Extra virgin olive oil-chardonnay vinegar dressing

Main Courses:
                      Stewed beef cheek in shiraz wine reduction with sautéed morel mushrooms, melted leek and brown butter potato

Indian style chicken shahi korma with spiced spinach, cabbage, peas and cumin rice

Pan fried Atlantic cod served with roasted vine ripened tomato coulis, buttered broccolini and capelini pasta

Chinese style stir fried venison in ginger and spring onion served with mixed vegetables and steamed rice

Roasted vegetables and ricotta cheese lasagne with to tomato coulis and arugula salad

Dessert:
                      Verbena orange jelly

Cheese:
                      Selection of kapiti aged cheddar, Tasmanian heritage double brie, rambol walnut and chaumes cheeses served with garnishes

Fresh Fruit:
                      Fresh fruits in season

Wine List:
                      Champagnes:

Dom Perignon 2000

Krug Grand Cuvee

White Wines:
                      Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2006 Marlborough

Mersault Les Clous 2005 Bouchard Pere et Fils

OR

Beaune Du Chateau Premier Cru 2006 Bouchard Pere Et Fils

Red Wines:
                      Chateau Cos d’Estournel 1999 Saint-Estephe

Mr Riggs The Gaffer Shiraz 2005 McLaren Vale, Australia

Port:
                      Dow’s 20 Year Old Tawny Port Portugal

Tea Selection:
                      Pure Ceylon Tea
                      Earl Grey
                      Darjeeling
                      Camomile
                      Decaffeinated Tea
                      Fruit Tea
                      Japanese Green Tea
                      Mint Tea

Chinese Tea Selection:
                      Jasmine
                      Ooolong
                      Tie Guan Yin
                      Long Jin
                      Pi Lo Chun

Gourmet Coffees:
                      Brazil Santos Bourbon
                      Colombian Supremo
                      Jamaican Blue Mountain
                      Kenyan AA ‘Kilimanjaro’
                      Last edited by SQ LPP; 3 October 2008, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Also yesterday I was flying on separate tix, SQ F BKK-SIN-ZRH in one and then LX Y ZRH-GVA on another tix. I was going BKK-GVA via SIN and ZRH. I knew when I lined up to check in at BKK that SQ would have no trouble tagging my bags to ZRH. But when I showed her both tickets and ask if she can have my luggage checked all the way to GVA, not only did my bags show GVA as the final destination but she also printed the LX BP to my surprise.
                        As I mentioned in another post, I had the same experience many times before. As an example, one time I took ZRH - LHR on BA, and SQ was able to issue the BP at my origin first check-in point.

Another interesting encounter was the immigration procedure when arrived into Europe. Upon arrival into ZRH last night, I enquired with a ground staff about my connection and because I told her I’m already in possession of my onward BP and my bags have been check through, she instructed me not to go through immigration and instead go straight to the gate of the connecting flight. As a result, I ended up clearing immigration in GVA as oppose to ZRH and this sounds rather odd to me. I don’t how many passengers on the LX flight were connecting from an international sector, but I would assume there had to be some “local traffic” passengers just flying ZRH-GVA and these people have to undergo immigration procedure on a domestic sector?
                        I took GVA - ZRH or ZRH - GVA couple times in the past year, and it felt like flying internationally. So if you clear immigration at ZRH, then to depart to GVA, you would go passport control again at the departure level. And when arriving at GVA, you will clear immigration again.

BTW I have to do GVA-ZRH on LX again on Saturday then connecting to ZRH-YYZ on AC going back home to Toronto. And this will again involve separate tickets between LX & AC. Does this mean I’ll be going through departure passport control in GVA?
                        Yes, at GVA, you will go through passport control departure level. Then, when arriving at ZRH, you just go to transit area. I think AC will depart from the terminal where you have to take the train. The lounge there is not that interesting. Better stick to the LX lounge or LH *A lounge in the main terminal.

I don't think there will be any problem for you to check-through your bag LX to AC. But, LX may not be able to issue your BP. Many times I had experience even with LX and LH on separate tix, LX at GVA or ZRH could not issue my LH BP as the next flight.

On a side note ZRH is such a sweet flowing airport for connection compared to LHR or CDG.
                        Indeed... ZRH is very convenient for transferring. Of course it's a wonderful city for a visit as well.

Comment

Originally posted by scooby5 View Post
                          That should be the case these days with online check-in being available anyway 24-48hrs before the flight.

Provided you are in the same Alliance i don't think there can be any issue these days about not issuing onward boarding passes.
                          I think you should travel heavily and experience yourself.
                          For example, if you are taking other airline prior to your SQ flight in the same itinerary, you can not check-in on line for your SQ flight.
                          Same Alliance it's not necessarily a guarantee for ability to issue onward boarding pass. As an example, I took SIN-NRT on SQ connecting to NRT-YVR on AC. Sometimes SQ can not issue the BP for my AC flight.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                            I love hearing everything is cost cutting!
                            Sorry, I only blamed cost cutting at SQ for most for the world's problems but this can only be second to global warming. In fact, cost cutting is probably the result of global warming.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryK View Post
                              I once flew GVA-ZRH only and had to go through outbound and inbound immigrations.
                              So I have to go through immigration at both GVA & ZRH if let's say LX at GVA is unable to tag my bags to YYZ nor issue my AC BP (which sounds likely according to a reply)? If so then I guess my 3h 10min connection will not seem so long afterall.
                              Originally posted by SQ LPP
                              Better stick to the LX lounge or LH *A lounge in the main terminal.
                              Well I think I'll stick with the long-bar LX J lounge. The LX F lounge is being treated like the SIN SKL as a non-designated *A lounge - well at least that's what I found out when I flew out of ZRH in July with an SQ F BP + my *A Gold Status and being told by the check-in personel that I'll have no access to it. If can't access it with an SQ F BP, I don't think I'll fare any better with an AC J BP.
                              My Past, Present, Future Flights (Flights from March 2007 to Present to Future)

Comment

Working...
                              X