Where is the A380 flying to next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the A380 flying to next?

After the debut Sydney, London, Tokyo and Beijing (for limited time only) A380 flights, where are they planning to fly their A380s to next? If I have the chance to suggest, the San Francisco via Hong Kong, New York via Frankfurt, the Los Angeles extension from Tokyo and maybe Amsterdam routes would be good, don't you think?

I think there are several threads about this in the forums already

But apart from that:

- HKG-SFO: yes, definitely can see that when SFO gets A380-ready.
    - FRA-JFK: I cannot imagine this. The FRA-JFK loads are really light.
    - NRT-LAX: yes, but probably after HKG-SFO. Especially when NRT receives an A380 anyway.
    - AMS: IMHO not likely. They do AMS with a 2-class 772 - apparently no F yield there. Why bring in the suites if you can't even sell F?
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
      - NRT-LAX: yes, but probably after HKG-SFO. Especially when NRT receives an A380 anyway.
      Just a reminder that SQ flies daily on A380 between SIN and NRT since last May.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
        Just a reminder that SQ flies daily on A380 between SIN and NRT since last May.
        Yeah I said that

How many aircraft does SIN-NRT-LAX-NRT-SIN need again? Was it three or two? Because if it's two, we might just see 11/12 as an A380 (that would be awesome because then I would be sitting in a suite in april... would need to try the 744 F another time then... )

Comment

But apart from that:

- FRA-JFK: I cannot imagine this. The FRA-JFK loads are really light.
          - AMS: IMHO not likely. They do AMS with a 2-class 772 - apparently no F yield there. Why bring in the suites if you can't even sell F?
          Then can you suggest high capacity routes that would be fit for the A380? Or what do others say? Are there any official plans for new routes that the A380 is going to take? Because in the next couple of years when all A380s have been delivered and if SIA is going to use it on the same old routes, there'll be too many A380s around as white elephants.

Comment

take all london and sydney flights for example. SQ makes big bucks here. but again, for information, please use the search function! this info has been in the center of discussion for about 10K times already.

Comment

All LHR and SYD seems like a good one, since currently they are one of the only routes doing all-744 service. Maybe SIN-LHR-USA in future since Singapore and UK have an open skies agreement? The A380 would let SQ get max use of the landing slot at LHR.

Comment

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Subhas Menon, Singapore Airlines (SIA) regional vice-president for south-west Pacific, said the airline had not seen any drop in volumes as a result of the fall in the dollar....

Singapore last year became the first airline to fly the Airbus A380 to Sydney and Mr Menon said the airline would like to see it fly to other destinations, particularly Melbourne. That, he said, could happen in the first quarter of 2010.
                All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

With the MEL-SIN route having 3 flights daily, SQ238 being upgauged from 773 to 744 for roughly the next 6 months, and 4 flights some days over peak periods would MEL-SIN be a consideration for the A380? I'm not sure what % of bums on seats all these flights carry but it must be a good earner with such regular flights, KeithMEL may have some figures on this.

Add to this that as from the end of October this year (next month), Qantas will be flying the A380 out of MEL, although only to LAX, it is all advertising for a rival company which could be negated by SIA flying the A380 out of MEL.

Any thoughts appreciated.

SQ238.

Comment

But apart from that:

Last I heard, SFO was ALREADY 380 Ready. The Int'l Terminal, which was completed in 2001 or so, was designed with the 380 in mind.

So bring on the 380 already!! I usually try to fly SQ1/2 and it would be great for bragging rights to say that all SQ flights out of SFO have the new cabins! Also a 380 on the route increases the chances of me actually getting a seat on SQ1...

Comment

is there then, any way SQ 1/2 getting an A380 before the new year?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
                        is there then, any way SQ 1/2 getting an A380 before the new year?
                        Nope. Unless there is a complete 380 route strategy change.

They have another 380 coming this month that will allow 2 of 3 daily flights to LHR go A380 full time. The next 380's are not then due until early next year, IIRC.

Comment

Currently the A380 is serving LHR, SYD & NRT.

LHR x 2 - 4 aircraft
                          SYD - 1 aircraft
                          NRT - 1 aircraft

Assuming SQ starts SIN-NRT-LAX first, NRT will see 2 A380 services a day. Does NRT warrant 3 daily flights with the new added capacity (2 A380s + 1 77E)?

Comment

If I were running SQ, a WhaleJet would fly to MEL on a substitution hours ahead of QF's first WhaleJet delivery and be on the ground when the QF bird lands. I would do the same thing on the day of QF's first commercial WhaleJet flight (MEL-LAX if the plan has not changed).

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                              If I were running SQ, a WhaleJet would fly to MEL on a substitution hours ahead of QF's first WhaleJet delivery and be on the ground when the QF bird lands. I would do the same thing on the day of QF's first commercial WhaleJet flight (MEL-LAX if the plan has not changed).
                              The SQ A380 will be on the Tarmac when VH-OQA arrives in SYD on Sunday. It will only go to MEL on Tuesday iirc.

Comment

Working...
                              X