Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight to Athens

Dear All,

Trying to decide on SQ or TG for a flight to ATHENS from SIN.

The advantage of TG, I understand is daily flight but I do not know about their cabin seats particularly on a need for sleep for an over night flight. I read from where the TG Planes can be quite old for trips to Europe.

On the hand, I think SQ uses the 772ER with Spacebeds but their schedule is only thrice a week. Is this true?

I know N_Arch and others on this site uses the SQ frequently from Athens.

Need advice on this and any will be appreciated.

If you need sleep, then go for the SQ.... I did TG to athen before... old style seats, not full reclined... cabin too warm and thick blankets... amenity kit issued though...
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Comment

First of all, what do you think about the fares? Comparable? Some would take the lowest C fares available, some would not.

Secondly, are you strictly on looking for nonstop flight on SQ, or connecting in BKK with TG. The later means that you are willing t o make a connection, thus you fly SIN - XXX - ATH. And of course the 77W on SQ is definitely way better than TG. So you can do SIN-ZRH-ATH for example. The new business class on SQ is excellent for having a very good sleep (Oops but few of readers here dislikes the new seats. )

Comment

TG does fly new 777 aircrafts to europe. Ex-MXP, it was 2 class configuration. The business class seating is 2-3-2. The cabin felt as spacious as SQ and was rather pleasant. I was told by TG station manager, more new 777 aircrafts will be used including F cabin (though I didn't ask the routings).
        No idea BKK-ATH-BKK aircraft type and its cabin.
        If you don't mind sticking to three flights per week on SQ, it saves you time travelling via BKK. SIN-ZRH-ATH is like backtracking.
        Last edited by Trent900; 4 September 2008, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Being too busy today, just saw the thread.

I'm doing the SIN-ATH this coming Sunday on J. Aircraft is always (unless for any odd reason there's a change of equipment) the 777-200ER (9V-SV*), with 30 spacebeds, 2-class config. Schedule is (sadly) not daily, instead three times per wk. Flight off SIN is the red-eye one, as I am sure you already know (dep SIN 0100, arr ATH 0720hrs). Approx flt duration 10:30-11:30 hrs weather depending, dinner & breakfast served.

I've only done the ATH-BKK rtn route once, in Y, and that was back in '03, so no real opinions here. But having checked few months ago (was trying to find alternative means to ATH, not that any would convince me to drop flying SQ, but just to say to my self I 'shopped around' before making the booking...), I believe they (TG) have an A340-600 on this route now, however I stand to be corrected on this.

Have a safe flight and enjoy your time in Athens.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent900 View Post
            TG does fly new 777 aircrafts to europe. Ex-MXP, it was 2 class configuration. The business class seating is 2-3-2. The cabin felt as spacious as SQ and was rather pleasant.
            Are you sure it was 2-3-2? The newer TG 772 I flew on (with the sloping flat J seats) was 2-2-2.

The big risk with flying TG is that they will pull a last-minute equipment switch to older aircraft with far worse seating!

Comment

Originally posted by Trent900 View Post
              TG does fly new 777 aircrafts to europe. Ex-MXP, it was 2 class configuration. The business class seating is 2-3-2. The cabin felt as spacious as SQ and was rather pleasant. I was told by TG station manager, more new 777 aircrafts will be used including F cabin (though I didn't ask the routings).
              No idea BKK-ATH-BKK aircraft type and its cabin.
              If you don't mind sticking to three flights per week on SQ, it saves you time travelling via BKK. SIN-ZRH-ATH is like backtracking.
              Welcome to SQTalk!
              I know someone would say about backtracking. But for some, it would be acceptable. Why? The answer is we are talking about C class here. The C cabin on SQ for 77W to MXP, ZRH, CDG and FRA is so much superior than other airlines (in my opinion anyhow). Thus, I don't mind to ride longer on the comfy plane, then back down to ATH. In addition, the arrival in ATH on SQ nonstop or TG via BKK is at around 7am. Can't check in yet into a hotel usually.

Comment

Thanks Everyone for your answers and have decided to take SQ direct. Sorry TG.

Comment

SQ anytime been on TG & SQ to athens just love the singapore service & the 777-200ER is a certain on this route not like TG that change aircraft often.Yes the SQ flights get in early morrning so hotels at this time of year should not have a problem checking you in so go enjoy and have a FRAPE for me

Comment

Originally posted by TIKIS View Post
                    SQ anytime been on TG & SQ to athens just love the singapore service & the 777-200ER is a certain on this route not like TG that change aircraft often.Yes the SQ flights get in early morrning so hotels at this time of year should not have a problem checking you in so go enjoy and have a FRAPE for me
                    Just curious, what is FRAPE exactly? What is good to do in Athens as I got to spend a weekend watching TV in the hotel otherwise?

Comment

SQ over TG to ATH anyday. I do this run about 20 times a year. Just wish that the aircraft will be upgraded one day. Also JCL on SQ is better than TG...in my opinion

Frappe

A Greek version of iced coffee.....Enjoy

Comment

Frappe = take a spoonfull of Nescafe instant coffee (better if it is Gold Blend as the latter is much smoother for the stomach), put it in a tall glass, add a small quantity of (cold) water (say to the height of 2cm or 1/2 in.), add sugar/milk if desired, take spoon and stir well for a while or use an electronic shaker, mix turns creamy and bubbly, add ice and cold water, install straw, sit outside your balcony or garden or next to sea, light up a cigarette (if a smoker), loosen up, don't think about work, etc., etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X