Is it worth upgrading to F?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth upgrading to F?

I am thinking of using KF miles for an upgrade to F. I will have to purchase C ticket (up to 4x pricey than Y) in order to do so given I have limited KF miles. Alternatively, the cheapest option is purchasing Y and upgrade to C. Given the huge price difference between Y and C , anyone with experience on this matter please advise? I am hoping to travel from somewhere in europe to singapore (772 or 747) or the other way round. Obviously I know Y to C represents value for money, can F justify that? What is your experience flying F vs C?
    Last edited by Trent900; 3 September 2008, 10:15 AM.

Hi Trent 900 and Welcome to SQTalk. The price difference between F and C I remembered from memory is not double.

My thoughts as follows to get to F is first check if your company has any corporate rates with SQ. It could mean a discount of say 20%. Trying to get an upgrade is such a pain particularly on European flight to Premier Classes and chances are quite slim unless you booked really early from my past experiences.

F is definitely better but C isn't really bad.

Comment

If the money is of sufficient concern to you to justify asking the question then, for you, C is a better deal than F.

Comment

For me, flying F is definitely in the list of "Ultra-luxury that is nice to have but not essential", whereas flying C falls more under "Huge leap in comfort and service from flying Y, and much more "necessary" than flying F".

If you feel that it will be too much of a stretch to buy C to fly F, then definitely stick to C - once you're in C, anything more is just a luxury not a necessity.

Comment

Originally posted by LionCity
          The price difference between F and C I remembered from memory is not double.
          I think what the OP meant is that, he needs to buy a Y ticket to upgrade to J whereas he needs to buy J to upgrade to F.

Obviously, J tends to be much more than 2x Y fare on most longhaul routes, so what he said makes much more sense that way.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
            If the money is of sufficient concern to you to justify asking the question then, for you, C is a better deal than F.
            This is not really a helpful answer.

F has many advantages over C and this is a very difficult question to answer unless you provide additional information. Which things are important to you when flying? The space, ability to sleep, peace and quiet, the entertainment system, what?
            If you intend to stay up working much of the time and sleep is not so important, for instance, then C may suffice and you may not need to consider F. It's difficult to give good information without knowing what your needs are.

Comment

Originally posted by stargold View Post
              I think what the OP meant is that, he needs to buy a Y ticket to upgrade to J whereas he needs to buy J to upgrade to F.

Obviously, J tends to be much more than 2x Y fare on most longhaul routes, so what he said makes much more sense that way.
              Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

F is F is F is F at the end of the day

Comment

Trent900, your question is very important particularly to those members who pay for most of their travel and find themselves having to optimize their carefully-accumulated KrisFlyer miles. Like you, I reached the conclusion that upgrades were for me the best value for KrisFlyer redemptions.

If you've never flown F, I think it's worth it to try just once so you can experience it, particularly as KrisFlyer saver upgrades grow increasingly scarce on long-haul routes. Try doing the redemptions from an outstation so you connect to or from a regional cabin (or long-haul cabin doing regional duties) to a long-haul cabin. It really is a wonder to experience what SQ does with F service; you'll experience how it is able to sustain a price premium over an already excellent J offering, both on long-haul and regional routes.

I can offer my perspective based on my J and F upgrade redemptions. Given how long it takes me as a UK-based KrisFlyer member to accumulate the requisite KrisFlyer miles, I consider the J upgrades to be of much better value. I can say from experience that SQ F really is a class above J, but the opportunity cost of my £££ and my time is too high. For the price difference between E and J, and the time it would take to accumulate the miles and search for destinations that offered lower fares compared to destinations that I wanted to visit, a Y > J upgrade offered a much larger bump in the quality of my total travel experience than a J > F upgrade.

But as I said, it's worth it to go for at least one F upgrade so you can confirm this based on your own preferences.

Hope that helps, and welcome again to SQTalk.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

I must say you guys up there are so knowledgeable and know what you are talking about. First of all, I have to thank stargold for his advise. It is true what lioncity said it is so difficult to find I class availablility on long-haul flights. Equally, jjpb3 knows exactly what I am considering about. The Y to J upgrade is much more value for money than J to F. The ticket price difference between J and F isn't much a bigger gap than Y to J. I still hope to experience F one day. I think for the time being it is only a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
                      F has many advantages over C....
                      Compared to the new C on the A340-500, 777-300ER, and WhaleJet, the advantages of F are several (not many) and all of them are rather minor. Let's try to enumerate them:
                      Slightly more space, lower passenger to crew ratio, usually less risk of a queue for the toilet, very slightly better food, off the plane 30 seconds earlier and, depending on the airport and FF status, possibly better lounge access.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        If you've never flown F, I think it's worth it to try just once so you can experience it
                        Some would argue the opposite advice. If you haven't tried it you don't know what you're missing. Saves the risk of being tormented.

Comment

Even then, I would love to try it out one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent900 View Post
                            Even then, I would love to try it out one day.
                            Then I think you've answered your own question.
                            Like jjpb3 - I'd suggest trying it at least once. After that, it's really up to you and you alone, taking into account your priorities and preferences, as to whether it's worth it.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by zvezda View Post
                              the advantages of F are several (not many) .
                              Your several is my many, apparently.
                              Why not focus on being productive rather than making these boring little jabs at people?
                              Last edited by flyingfox; 5 September 2008, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X