Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General questions about SQ booking system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General questions about SQ booking system.

Hello SQTalkers,

I would like to quickly say thanks to all who post here, the information shared is amazing. I hope I can contribute equally with my share when I think I have worthwhile advice or information.

I have a few questions about the SQ booking system.

I will be on holiday to Asia this Dec and Jan, flying exclusively with SQ in Y class, which I have booked with no problem through the Australian SQ site. I am now trying to book a small side trip to visit friends, a return flight BKK-HKG for mid Jan next year but the SQ system only comes up with a price of almost $3000au, more than twice the price of my return Y ticket from MEL-BKK Is it normal for the system to come up with such high Y costs? It only seems to be BKK-HKG, it doesn't matter if I try dates next week or next year it continually gives me this massive price for that return trip.

If I break the flights down and try getting costs off the SQ system for BKK-SIN, SIN-HKG and return it comes up with a total for the 4 flights of about $1000au, still much higher than years gone by. The same trip with Thai, which is obviously direct, comes to a total of about $650au. I would much rather travel SQ.

So what is my best option, go to a travel agent here in Australia and get costs for the return trip with SQ, or phone a SQ phone agent? I am of the understanding that if I book my flight with either of these two options I cannot select my seat and do an internet check in, as I can do if I book directly through the SQ booking system, am I right?

Thanks a million for any advice you can give me on this problem.

SQ238.

I don't think SQ has a published fare for the route BKK-HKG which explains the high cost. I might be wrong though. If you do not mind flying airlines out of the *A alliance, I would say u can try Emirates. They have really attractive Y and J fares for this route. These discounted fares are released periodically and the discounted fares for Jan might not be out yet.

Comment

You can do OLCI even if you book through a TA, but I think you can't select a seat at the time of booking with the TA.

Comment

Originally posted by zander View Post
        I don't think SQ has a published fare for the route BKK-HKG which explains the high cost.
        That's right:

Code:
        FQBKKHKG10JAN-SQ«                                               
        BKK-HKG       CXR-SQ       SAT 10JAN09                     USD  
        THE FOLLOWING CARRIERS ALSO PUBLISH FARES BKK-HKG:              
        5J AI BI CI CX EK ET JL KA KQ MH RJ TG UL UO YY                 
        ADDITIONAL CARRIERS PARTICIPATE IN YY FARES                     
        //SEE FQHELP FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE NEW FARE DISPLAYS//      
          SURCHARGE FOR PAPER TICKET MAY BE ADDED WHEN ITIN PRICED      
        THB CONVERTED TO USD USING BSR 1 USD - 34.106 THB               

[color=red][b]*** SQ DOES NOT PUBLISH NLX FARES BKK-HKG ***                   
        *** BELOW ARE YY NLX FARES BKK-HKG VALID ON SQ ***[/b][/color]              

YY     BKKHKG.EH       10JAN09          MPM  1258               
            V FARE BASIS     BK    FARE   TRAVEL-TICKET AP  MINMAX  RTG 
          1 . Y              S‡R   708.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01 
          2 . Y              S‡O   425.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01 
          3 . C              Z‡R   934.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01 
          4 . F              F‡R  1090.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01 
          5 . C              Z‡O   561.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01 
          6 . F              F‡O   654.00     ----      -    -/  - EH01
        And the IATA BKK-HKG YY fare has a MPM of 1,258 which doesn't work if you fly BKK-SIN-HKG. So the system ends up giving you the cost of fully flexible Y on SQ for BKK-SIN plus SIN-HKG which gives the very high price obtained.

Edit: welcome to SQT, SQ238!

Comment

for that route you are better off flying Emirates - much cheaper. I am a big SQ and Star Alliance fan but the price is outrageous, even with Thai, its only a 2.5 hour flight... ill just fly emirates on that sector or take Air Asia to Macau and get a ferry. TG inter asia flights ex BKK prices are WAY overpriced unless booked in conjunction with a longhaul flight, e.g MEL-BKK-HKG-BKK-MEL....
          My SQ and flying Videos: Youtube My Travel Blog: AussieFlyer.net

Comment

Thanks for all the informative replies, much appreciated.

sqdazz, Emirates is also way over priced at present but I will keep checking, great advice in regard to Air Asia. Cheers.

Also thanks for your welcome to the board jhm.

SQ238.

Comment

Working...
            X