SQ Female Cabin Crew's Maternity Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ Female Cabin Crew's Maternity Concerns

The following is the online to Today newspaper concerning a SQ female cabin crew about continuing employment with SQ upon being pregnant. http://www.todayonline.com/pdf_main....bdate=20080825

It is on Page 18 of the 25 August 2008 edition. Being not IT educated, could not establish the link easily. But the following is the msg from Ms Vernis Ho:

Quote:

I REFER to the Enhanced Baby Bonus Scheme, and on behalf of some of my colleagues, would like to ask why the
    female crew of Singapore Airlines (SIA)
    are not included in this scheme?
    We were also not entitled to the
    one implemented in 2004.
    Female crew who are pregnant have
    to resign in 24 hours without a guaranteed
    ground job or leaving perks.
    We can only return to work for SIA
    after two years of giving birth, subject to
    an impeccable previous work record and
    if we had maintained our figure well.
    After we resign, finding a job on
    the ground when pregnant is tough. No
    company wants to employ us as they
    do not want to pay us the maternity
    leave packages (I tried when I was pregnant
    in 2005).

UNQUOTE.

There is also a response from SQ that I have not included not to make this unduly long and should be read for balance. I think both sides have their points although I think more should be done for female cabin crew after all their basic pay isn't very much.

The SIN Govt has apparently unveiled a whole list incentives to increase population. But SQ female crew seems not getting the full benefits of it such as four months paid maternity leave.

Direct link to page:
    http://www.todayonline.com/pdf_open.asp?id=2508VOC018

Comment

Originally posted by Savage25 View Post
      Thanks Savage 25. Not sure how you did it.

Comment

I have copied and cleaned up the entire article for easier reading..

Originally posted by Vernis Ho
        I REFER to the Enhanced Baby Bonus Scheme, and on behalf of some of my colleagues, would like to ask why the female crew of Singapore Airlines (SIA) are not included in this scheme?

We were also not entitled to the one implemented in 2004. Female crew who are pregnant have to resign in 24 hours without a guaranteed ground job or leaving perks. We can only return to work for SIA after two years of giving birth, subject to an impeccable previous work record and if we had maintained our figure well.

After we resign, finding a job on the ground when pregnant is tough. No company wants to employ us as they do not want to pay us the maternity leave packages (I tried when I was pregnant in 2005).

Most of us here see flying as a career. Three-quarters of the flying crew are female. Most of us dare not start a family because of this ruling. I hope something can be done about this.
        Life's A Bitch,
        Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

Coming back to the Topic. I think this is actually a well known Policy. SQ's argument is that this is in the contract yada yada yada, but again, its pretty inhumane IMHO.

But knowing that SIA's policy has always been profit first, and until the Singapore Govt change its legislation to protect pregnant woman, I think we will continue to see this more...
          Life's A Bitch,
          Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

And this has also been one of the biggest sources of criticism amongst the human-rights advocates, many of whom have never flown SQ and only see it as a company run communist-style.

I personally do feel for the female cabin crew, and I do believe they can have a role to play somewhere else in the airline enterprise even if they loose their shape later in life. Surely something can be done along this avenue?
            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by huaiwei View Post
              I personally do feel for the female cabin crew, and I do believe they can have a role to play somewhere else in the airline enterprise even if they loose their shape later in life. Surely something can be done along this avenue?
              I feel sorry for them too. I know it's in the contract and they are aware of this when they sign up etc, but at a time when the Government are trying (a bit desperately at times it would seem) to get people to have more children, then having their best known brand having a restrictive policy affecting their 'global icon' (as that is what the Singapore Girl is) looks a little strange to some.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I feel sorry for them too. I know it's in the contract and they are aware of this when they sign up etc, but at a time when the Government are trying (a bit desperately at times it would seem) to get people to have more children, then having their best known brand having a restrictive policy affecting their 'global icon' (as that is what the Singapore Girl is) looks a little strange to some.
                Well said.

Comment

believed even sometime last year the labour minister did mention SQ got a different labour policy of "keeping its cabin female staff young" and hence SQ can stop its female crew employment before reaching retirement age - as they are employed on "contract" basis.

Comment

Indeed. And people don't seem to acknowledge that these girls may very well change their minds about having kids a few years after signing that contract. And then you have girls who decided they wish to stay on in the airline after experiencing a wonderful work environment, and find themselves torn between keeping that job and starting a family.
                    Help make this article a better one!

Comment

well the govt also still holds the majority share in SIA - and somewhat of a conflict as SQ can have such a "discriminatory" contract bec its in line with keeping its female cabin crew young - and the Labour Ministry allows such.

Comment

Well, I guess it's a give or take situation..
                        No doubt the govt may own a significant portion of SQ, but think of this..
                        Is it really worth it to sacrifice the economic benefits n our country's iconic status for an attempt at creating babies..

Comment

well in any case, teh aspiring and current crew knew or should have known abt this SQ practice when they signed up - its just that such "discriminatory" as deemed by some organisations is allowed by govt/law and runs somewhat contrary too to the govt's policy of upping the retirement age for all other industry. In any case, do believe other local GLC-owned carriers like Tiger and Silkair also or are allowed to follow this practice.
                          There are however, some female cabin crew altho few who have been grounded when they are pregnant and got to fly again - and esp when SQ needs them at one point in time.

Comment

Originally posted by sohjonathan View Post
                            our country's iconic status
                            Iconic status ?. Have I missed something ?.
                            Last edited by MAN Flyer; 29 August 2008, 02:59 AM. Reason: Smiley missed :-)

Comment

Iconic status ?. Have I missed something ?.
                              Oops.. I think it should be "iconic symbol"..
                              Haha

Comment

Working...
                              X