Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y in the A380

Hey SQtalkers,

I'm flying LHR-SIN on the A380 with a few mates on Y in October. Has anyone flown the A380 in Y, and can they comment please, if its very much different from the Ys on the 744s? Comments on legroom, recline, comfort of the seats, food and the best seats on the plane would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Cos

Just have a look at this excellent trip report :

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...13&postcount=1

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showpos...14&postcount=2

Comment

Thanks G_G for your kind comments.

Cossie : there are quite a number of trip reports on SQ Talk for the A380 Y experience. By and large most of us here feel positively about the new product, so you can be assured that the general feeling is good.

I think things such as recline of seats, food, legspace etc is all relative. Some of us are of larger build, some of us of more minute proportions. Personally I feel that for all three of the above, there is no marked difference from the 747 experience. However, for recline, imho, you won't be as inconvenienced by a reclining seat in front of you as you were in the 744.

menus change from month to month, and depends on palates - so its touch and go.

As for seat comfort - personally I felt that the 744 Y seat was more snug - but that's just me. there are many fans of the new Y product, so you can try it for yourself and let us know your thoughts.

And as for best seats - i think, without any doubt, almost everyone here is agreed that the upper deck is the place to be. If 80 DEFG is available those are the seats to aim for - otherwise any other non-bulkhead seats would be good. there isn't much difference between all of those.

avoid any seat behind row 80 though - far too close to the rear toilets for comfort.

hope this helps!

Comment

The superjumbo wins over 747 on seat width by sizeable margin:

A380 superjumbo 19"
        747 17,5"

In addition A380 has a very quiet cabin compared to 747.

Comment

Cossie, the most striking difference between Y on the B744 and the A380 is cabin ambiance. The new Y on the A380 feels fresher, brighter; in a word: younger, than its previous incarnation. This is to keep up with the taste of the times and it's spot-on. Y on the B744 has this cramped look because the chunkier seats make the interior less spacious. Things feel worse when you're seated. I'm of average build and even I feel the claustrophobia. The dull and dark lighting also doesn't help. In contrast, the new Y seats are thinner but it's all relative if that makes it more comfortable.

I find Y on the A380 very comfortable. As many have said before, the upper deck feels cozier due to the different seat configuration from the main deck, but don't be under the illusion that this isn't coach. Legroom, recline and comfort are fine for me. SQ feeds well in the food department, so I don't expect you'd have any grouses with the grub. You only have to fly with US carriers in Y to realize that SQ is in a class of its own where meals are concerned (though it's arguable if TG doesn't do a better job). As you're doing a long-haul, Krisworld is sure to make the time past faster. The media choices are vast and diverse.

As for best seats, windows and bulkhead rows generally don't match up if you're one for legroom and a view. Only on the main deck does row 31 have this honour. (See Seatexpert.com for details.) On my second last trip on the A380, I was a little surprised to see signs of decay so soon. Bits of the Paul Smith-like carpet were frayed and there was a large, dark brown stain on my (turquoise) seat. I pretended it was chocolate. Also beware of the side storage bins - they can be filthy despite the fleet's youth.

Comment

Working...
          X