Early meal service before arrival on longhaul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early meal service before arrival on longhaul

I just came back on SQ 18 SIN-ICN-YVR in C class.
    Flight and service were good as usual, great crew.
    I was just surprised and do remember that this is the case on almost all SQ flights I have been on that we were woken up 3 hours and 10 minutes before arrival into YVR for the breakfast service.

The cabin was only 60% full today and service was finished almost 2 hours before landing.
    I really would have preferred having had the extra time to rest without all the lights coming on.
    Why do they start service so early? It only gave about 3 hours to sleep after dinner service was finished.

I only have experience on BR and AC and if I remember correctly they started service much later and closer to arrival time.
    Can any of you share how other airlines deal with this?
    Last edited by yvrcnx; 15 July 2008, 07:23 AM.

Just out of curiosity, which class were you travelling in? I can understand for Y but for C there doesn't seem much of a reason to complete the meal service so early.

Maybe turbulance was expected for the last part of the flight?
    matt_will_fix_it

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post
      Just out of curiosity, which class were you travelling in? I can understand for Y but for C there doesn't seem much of a reason to complete the meal service so early.

I was travelling in Business Class. If this was in Y, just like you, I could understand.
      The whole flight was almost turbulence free and there were clear skies almost all the way down the west coast.

When the lights went on and I woke up I checked on the flight tracker where we were and we were just between the Aleutian Island chain and Anchorage.
      I was really surprised as I thought we still had ways to go before arriving.

I did have a similar experience on a flight from ICN to SFO this year where breakfast was also served just over 2.5 hours before arrival into SFO.
      Maybe this is just common practice for SQ for some reason.
      Last edited by yvrcnx; 15 July 2008, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by matt_will_fix_it View Post

There could be times when the IFS decides to err on the side of caution by commencing the meal service earlier, as he expects turbulence on the advice from the Captain. But as we all know, the Met Office is not always accurate, and so the expected turbulence did not materialise. And don't forget, by starting earlier, the crew also have their rest periods shortened.
        Have you checked your blind spot lately?

Comment

Working...
        X