Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQ 61 schedule changes?

Hi there.

I will be taking SQ61 from DME to SIN in August and a strange thing happened: I start my trip in VIE and via DME and SIN, I'm going to KUL. When I checked .bomb (booked on UA) last week, I saw that the SQ61 segment was taken out of my itinerary. I paniked and called up SQ and they still saw my booking, so I was relieved.

Today I called up UA (note: they did not call me ... wtf?!) and they said the flight does not show up because there have been schedule changes and SQ61 will not be departing DME at 21:30 (or so) but at 15:20 (!) meaning that I won't be able to catch the flight with the OS flight to DME I had before --> so they took out the flight, knowing I wouldn't catch it (that does not sound logical to me).

So I rebooked on OS603 (was on 601) departin VIE at 7:30 rather than 12 something. Apparently the new schedule for SQ61 is (sorry, dunno about the IAH leg!):

SQ61 DME-SIN
    Depart DME: 15:20
    Arrive SIN: 05:35 (+1)

The strage thing about this is that the SQ website schedule does not show the date changes for August 3... so that got me pretty confused!

Cheers,
    Flo
    Home is where your heart is.

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
    Today I called up UA (note: they did not call me ... wtf?!)
    Young man, welcome to the real world. You don't need to that kind of words. Not all airlines will call the customers for flight changes, even if you are in the premium class or even if you are your top level of FFP.
    I check all my bookings periodically. If there is a change I will deal with it. In your case, looking up Expert Flyer, the new schedule is the one you posted above. Thus, it's a good that now you are still able to make the connection.
    And believe me, the more you fly, the more you encounter such this things, something imperfect. Many airlines reservation systems do not talk to each other properly.

Comment

oops sorry. i didnt mean to swear or so

but to clarify my thoughts: this is my first big self-organized trip and i'm not used to booking 15 flights or so at a time. i'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to this.

i was simply a bit surprised when the UA agent told me "oops, we should have called you about this, sorry about that!" because as i checked with SQ. everything seemed to be ok and i did not know anything about a schedule change or so. it's just a bit disturbing encountering such things: if i wouldnt have checked (because i have a C upgrade waitlisted that i'm checking on), i would have flown to moscow, wondering why my SQ flight wasn't on the timetable. At least now I know that having every detail of your trip documented on paper, it's still no gurantee that everything works.

The thing I don't get is: I gave them my email adress, my mobile number and my adress ... sending me an email about changes in my itinerary wouldn't have been too complicated to program into the web interface; it wouldnt even need human resources to process the info!

Anyway, what I meant to say was that I totally did not want to swear or insult anybody I'm just a bit surprised that they would rather let me be totally stranded in DME than just send me a short email or so.

Comment

I understand it's you first big plan trip. That's why it's better to give you hints now to be a savvy traveller in the future, which I am sure you want to have one of those highest FFP status.
        It's possible that the change of flight time just happened. Thus, the computer would not send the notification right away. I had one of those situation where the flight from SIN to CMB is still in the evening, even though SQ has moved it to the morning flight. And yeah, the UA reservation, nor BD reservation, did not see the new schedule yet on their computer. I had to wait for couple days to get it fixed.

Your travel is in August. Plenty of time to keep checking your itinerary. Even when I am traveling, I always check the itinerary or the flights I will take next. Yes, I don't want any surprises. I prefer to be in charge, or in the know when it really happens, such as cancellation or delayed or misconnected.

Comment

Agree with SQ LPP. Always, always, always double check the schedules after any major schedule review, about a month before the trip and again a week before the trip, and if possible again within a day before each flight. Some airlines are good at calling but may have missed you, others are hopeless. A couple of years ago my FRA-BSL flight was cancelled and LH didn't call me. I ended up being rerouted FRA-CDG-BSL and having to run through FRA airport like a banshee to make the FRA-CDG flight.

The other tip is if you do spot a schedule change that will cause a problem to research some options before calling the airline to sort out your ticket. That way you can pick the option that best suits you, and also nicely suggest things for the agent to look up if the most obvious alternative is not available.

Comment

Some more info on the schedule change here.

Comment

Agree with KIWI and SQ LPP. There is no need to get panic over the schedule changes. I flew many time to India and catch domestic flight there most of the time the schedules are not fixed, either delayed, cancelled, etc. The more you fly, the more experience you have. I remembered one thing my SQ flight from HKG-SIN leg, they didnt even call my name for boarding until I noticed by my self that the plane ready to push back and I was ran like flash man to boarding gate and asked them to transfer me by bus (gate closed). So that is the fun of travelling.... Welcome onboard on SQ sir....

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Elite Gold View Post
                I remembered one thing my SQ flight from HKG-SIN leg, they didnt even call my name for boarding until I noticed by my self that the plane ready to push back and I was ran like flash man to boarding gate and asked them to transfer me by bus (gate closed).
                IMO, it's my responsibility to get to the gate on time (like all the other pax) and having my name announced over the PA is something to be avoided at all costs! Whilst an airline may announce my name if I don't turn up by the gate closing time, that's for their benefit (not mine) to avoid having to spend time offloading me.

Did they really transfer you by bus ? Presumably the plane door was also shut ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  Did they really transfer you by bus ? Presumably the plane door was also shut ?
                  Actually I am confused as well in regards to the bus. If the plane has been closed, how the bus can make it to the plane door?
                  Or is it a bus gate? Thus the person missed the last bus, and asked the gate agent to call another bus to pick him/her up?

Comment

It was the bus gate.. sorry forgot to include in the statement... It was long time back when HKG still in KAITAK....

Comment

It was the bus gate.. sorry forgot to include in the statement... It was long time back when HKG still in KAITAK....
                      I see... Now that would be impossible. 10 minutes prior, gate close. And yes, SQ implements this religiously. Had seen couple of time biz traveler screaming at SKL staff because they missed the 10 minutes dead line at the gate.

Comment

I noticed by my self that the plane ready to push back
                        It must have been parked next to another part of the terminal then ?!?

Comment

It was in 1994.... 14 years back... i didnt remember the exact things... but I managed to get onboard anyhow.... that moment i cannot forget.... The plane was park in the middle of runway with thunderstorm/raining that i remembered....

Comment

Thanks, SQ Elite Gold!

Whilst I don't doubt your story (who knows what unusual things happen ?), it does sound really amazing - you got bussed out to a plane which had pushed back (i.e. all doors closed) and was actually on the runway (presumably about to take off), some stairs were then attached, the door opened and you then boarded ? All because they didn't call your name at gate closing ? You must have had super high elite status with SQ or something like that!

Comment

Hehe. The really 'cool' thing now is this: I was rebooked so I can reach SQ61 in DME but my connecting flight to KUL is 10hrs after my arrival in SIN They did not find any availability on an earlier flight ... guess 10 hrs lounge time will be ok, though I'm afraid it'll be a bit boring.

Comment

Working...
                              X