Hydration on Long Hauls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydration on Long Hauls

I'm the type of person who drinks a minimum of 4 litres of water a day...en terra. In the air, I'll drink a liter every couple of hours..minimum. As a first class pax on long hauls, how is the supply of bottled water? Can I request it in the bottle? What is the size (not those little 6oz bottles I hope)?

Even though I'm in First, shall I carry on my own supply of water (to ensure I have enough bottled water...I like drinking from the bottle).

Don't worry! I'll have some Dom/Krug as well.
    Last edited by getonline; 14 May 2008, 07:17 AM. Reason: for clarity

what sectors are you flying on? if you're flying ex-SIN you can't bring any liquids on board at all, even if purchased from DFS - at least that was the case when I last flew out of SIN.

Otherwise, you could just let the SQ reservations office in your area know that you'd like to have bottled water on board. i'm sure they'll make it happen for you. IIRC, the bottled water supply on board is the small 300ml Evian mineral water bottle (limited supply though). rest of the water in in cups.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
      what sectors are you flying on? if you're flying ex-SIN you can't bring any liquids on board at all, even if purchased from DFS
      We'll be on SQ25 and SQ16 for the long hauls (along with some regional business stuff - Bali/Male). So, one flight ex-SIN.

Otherwise, you could just let the SQ reservations office in your area know that you'd like to have bottled water on board. i'm sure they'll make it happen for you. IIRC, the bottled water supply on board is the small 300ml Evian mineral water bottle (limited supply though). rest of the water in in cups.
      As a First class pax, I can call reservations, let them know of my need for bottled water, and they'll stock extra? Wow!

Comment

None of my flights exSIN allowed your own liquid onboard. IIRC, the missus had to finish her 470ml tupperware tumbler before we took off to PVG last Decemeber.

I am someone who needs to hydrate myself rather often but I would not recommend going for a 1 litre neat in a short span... simply because of... toilets. What I'd usually do, even flying in F or J is to just ask for enough water to wet the lips and throat. I have seen the 1.5L Evians in F and I know the FA will be more than happy to give me repeated servings.

Comment

what sectors are you flying on? if you're flying ex-SIN you can't bring any liquids on board at all, even if purchased from DFS - at least that was the case when I last flew out of SIN.
          What I will do is bring my own water bottle (empty) onboard and get it filled up by the cabin crew.

Comment

How i wish SQ will also serve bottled water in economy class. Hated the chlorine-flavoured drinking water that comes from the belly of the plane. AFAIK, JAL gives out evian bottled water to its economy class pax!
            And on a LX flight last year from SIN-BKK, the crew gave me a 500ml bottled water when i requested for drinking water. That's very generous!!
            My past and future travels

My Travel Map

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
              I am someone who needs to hydrate myself rather often but I would not recommend going for a 1 litre neat in a short span... simply because of... toilets.
              I disagree. Given the low humidity and low pressure in the air, proper hydration is critical for good skin, to avoid muscle cramps, deep tissue thrombosis, feeling exhausted and to be able to rebound quickly post flight. I usually go to the toilet once per hour on flights, given the amount of water I consume.

Add in drinks or coffee, the need for water increases even further.

Comment

Originally posted by getonline View Post
                I disagree. Given the low humidity and low pressure in the air, proper hydration is critical for good skin, to avoid muscle cramps, deep tissue thrombosis, feeling exhausted and to be able to rebound quickly post flight. I usually go to the toilet once per hour on flights, given the amount of water I consume.

Add in drinks or coffee, the need for water increases even further.
                While I agree that one should drink more in the air to avoid the above, I would also think that you flush out a lot of minerals and vitamins by just having plain water. I prefer green tea and combine it with fruit juices and water...

Comment

If you are in F don't worry about it they will constantly top your glass of water up during the flight.

Comment

its best if one can avoid taking alcoholic drinks

Comment

Originally posted by ycp81 View Post
                      How i wish SQ will also serve bottled water in economy class. Hated the chlorine-flavoured drinking water that comes from the belly of the plane. AFAIK, JAL gives out evian bottled water to its economy class pax!
                      And on a LX flight last year from SIN-BKK, the crew gave me a 500ml bottled water when i requested for drinking water. That's very generous!!
                      Agree. Flew SQ SIN-SYD in Y last December. The water only comes in small cups and I felt real bad to keep asking the crew for water.

Comment

On domestic flights in the US, I make an effort to consume one 8 oz. Dasani water bottle per hour of flight plus an extra one on the ground before takeoff. When sleeping on long-hauls, that's harder to do. But I do try to keep it to around that point for waking hours. KE is very good about bringing out water bottles--and, if you ask, the little Jeju water atomizers to spray on your face and skin. SQ is good too-- never had a problem in First or Business.

But the best by far is Delta. They have huge supplies of Dasani ex-US and Evian or some other European brand ex-EU. They make sure you never run out in Business, and even in Economy the FA's from time to time walk through the cabin with crates of water and just pass them out. At least, that's what they used to do. The little Dasani's have disappeared from domestic recently, and water is now dispensed in cups from 1.5 L bottles-- one of Delta's strong points getting weaker.

Comment

I am noting down who I should make sure I don't sit in aisle seat next to.

Comment

Working...
                          X