Singapore Airlines Launches A380 Ops To Beijing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singapore Airlines Launches A380 Ops To Beijing

Singapore Airlines Limited has announced temporary A380 flights to Beijing during the lead-up to the Olympic Games to satisfy higher demand.

The A380 will operate SQ802 / SQ805 from 02 August 2008 to 08 August 2008 inclusive.

Those who are ticketed on those flights already will be automatically accomodated on the A380.

The Singapore Airlines A380 brings Travel In A New Light heralding unpredented comfort. Passengers will experience the Singapore Airlines Suites - A Class Beyond First and the award-winning 4-abreast New Business Class - Space In A New Light. Economy Class customers will indulge in Comfort In A New Light.

Singapore Airlines is the world's largest A380 operator.

Source: Singapore Airlines Limited

Wow.
    Does this mean that SQ will by then take delivery of 9V-SKE,
    and will the SFO A380 flights be delayed?
    zxcvbn

Comment

Temporary service. interesting.

i hear whispers of "SIN-HKG-SFO, SIN-HKG-SFO" going around now. I'm taking a long punt here but anyone ticketed on SQ 1/2 (add: at the tail-end of the year) should be very happy with the PEK announcement.

technically, SFO would have to wait till SKE and SKF arrive anyway.
      Last edited by kelvgoh; 7 May 2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kelvgoh View Post
        Temporary service. interesting.

i hear whispers of "SIN-HKG-SFO, SIN-HKG-SFO" going around now. I'm taking a long punt here but anyone ticketed on SQ 1/2 should be very happy with the PEK announcement.

technically, SFO would have to wait till SKE and SKF arrive anyway.
        whisper whisper more!! but very unlikely. am booked on SQ1 for end May.. too bad..

Comment

I'm booked on SQ 001 in a couple of weeks too, but that's definitely going to be a Megatop still. As for December, and as for next February, these rumors may be just a premature fact... whisper (hope) whisper (hope)...

Just 'cause I wanna try something different, mind you. Still love a Megatop and am perfectly content in a SkySuite.

Comment

hope they stick to their initial plans of the A380 on SQ 1/2 with the delivery of SKE & SKF.

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
              Wow.
              Does this mean that SQ will by then take delivery of 9V-SKE,
              and will the SFO A380 flights be delayed?
              9V-SKE is due in June and 9V-SKF is due in July. When 9V-SKE arrives, SQ will rotate the others out of service briefly for MX.

Comment

So, the best guess is for SQ1/2 to switch to A380 in August?

Comment

wouldnt 866/865 get the fat boy?

Comment

Originally posted by SINFJ View Post
                    wouldnt 866/865 get the fat boy?
                    highly highly unlikely. as it stands 866/865 sees equipment changes very often, i.e. 744 to 773, 772ER or gasp, 772 regional. i don't think the load and yield for 866/5 is that good (and consistently good) to commit an A380 to it.

SQ 1/2 stops over in HKG en-route to SFO. if SQ does put the A380 on this route, they effectively corner the HKG and SFO markets in one go - two birds with one stone. it's a far wiser move tactically.

Comment

SQ 1/2 stops over in HKG en-route to SFO. if SQ does put the A380 on this route, they effectively corner the HKG and SFO markets in one go - two birds with one stone. it's a far wiser move tactically.
                      That's a very good reasoning, I didn't think of that move... Anyways, I have a redemption from LAX-SIN in late December on F. Should I change it to SFO-SIN instead, hoping that A380 will fly to SFO by then?

Comment

highly highly unlikely. as it stands 866/865 sees equipment changes very often, i.e. 744 to 773, 772ER or gasp, 772 regional. i don't think the load and yield for 866/5 is that good (and consistently good) to commit an A380 to it.

Hence with the phasing out of the Megatop, we'd see 866/865 down to regionl birds till the A330s come into services?

Comment

its also a good and huge Publicity way of advertising itself and its A380 and the 1st to fly to China too.

Comment

SQ still enjoys loyal following with hongkongers esp in the front cabins on HKG-SFO despite CX's 2 daily 744s.

by having the A380 suites & new biz + eco, not only will SQ make a killing profitwise, but also steal a march over CX's drab old 744s(including some that SQ has already retired long back. what an irony!).

Comment

Originally posted by Tanandika View Post
                              That's a very good reasoning, I didn't think of that move... Anyways, I have a redemption from LAX-SIN in late December on F. Should I change it to SFO-SIN instead, hoping that A380 will fly to SFO by then?
                              What I can say is that I don't see SQ operating the A380 to LAX or JFK anytime soon. QF have hedged their A380 launch on LAX and Emirates on JFK. Its no point going head to head with them.

On that basis alone, I think you have a significantly higher chance of getting the A380 if you switch to a SFO flight.

Look at it this way, you have nothing to lose! (assuming it doesnt' cost you very much to get from LAX to SFO in the first place). If you get an upgauge, you get into R class. If you don't, you still end up in 744 F, which was where you were in the first place.

I know for a fact that SKE and SKF arrive by July and should be operational by August. SKG is probably going to arrive by December. These birds have to go somewhere! they can't be hanging around in Changi doing nothing

Comment

Working...
                              X